#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Phastek Performance

Old 06-10-2017, 09:54 AM   #1
Paulbates455

Drives: a car
&

��

Last edited by Paulbates455; 11-07-2017 at 11:37 PM.
Paulbates455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:31 AM   #2
crankaholic

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Phastek lines won't work on the 6-piston calipers.
Use a shop you trust, or the dealer (I guess..?)
I love the way the brakes feel, especially with good fluid and steel-braided lines... but you won't get any actual stopping benefits outside of track use, or stopping from extremely high speeds.
Don't get caliper covers... just get your rear calipers painted.

Have you tried looking for a set of used ATS-V or CTS-V calipers and aftermarket rotors to match? I think that would be a lot cheaper with the same results... I'm not sure if those are a direct fit though, so you'd have to do some research.
Old 06-10-2017, 12:04 PM   #3
BowtieRocket

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS- M6
The GM GEN 6 GMPP BRAKE UPGRADE kit comes with "low expansion" hoses
Old 06-10-2017, 01:52 PM   #4
rti35

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06
Just installed this kit on my car. Huge difference once they're burnished properly. Initial bite is worlds better and overall stopping power is excellent. This is a must-do upgrade in my opinion if you're planning on using your car on track on a regular basis.

You can definitely install them yourself, mine took about 2.5 hours start to finish. You'll need a decent amount of tools (floor jack, standard sockets, breaker bar, torx bits etc) but if you have them already it's not bad at all.
rti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 08:16 PM   #5
glenB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Wilwood 15" same $$$
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:58 PM   #6
Extreme Dimensions

Drives: 2016 1ss Camaro
brembo and wilwood both make big brake upgrades as well as there is always the gm/brembo kit also
1-714-278-8000 EXT 17
andrew.bettridge@extremedimensions.com
Extreme Dimensions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:28 PM   #7
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbates455 View Post
Wilwood big brakes. Anyone here have them on a 6th gen? If yes, are you happy with the results?
Theres a chance the two i know wont see your post that have the wilwood setup. But if you use the search function for this forum only there are already two posts and thoughts on their aero6 kit.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:24 PM   #8
flyboy42191

Drives: 16 1SS, 6-Speed, wilwoods, cat-back
Quote:
Wilwood big brakes. Anyone here have them on a 6th gen? If yes, are you happy with the results?
I have the 6 piston up front and 4 piston out back.
I have been very happy with them.
The front kit was pretty painless to install and included stainless lines.
The rears required cutting the dust shield and buying the stainless lines.
I put alot of spirited canyon driving on my car (~50k miles on her)
I got around 8k miles on the first set of front pads, seemed a little quick, but pads are not too costly ~$80 an axle and the front and rear is the same pad.
The second set of pads seems to be lasting a little longer and the rotors seem to be holding up very well.
Stopping is quite good especially with a bit of heat in them and the pedal feel is improved over the factory setup imho.
Overall I was very happy with the results, I spent about 3400 on the parts and it took me about 6 hours start to finish to install them.
flyboy42191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:08 PM   #9
FLYNNZL1
Account Suspended

Drives: Man
Send a message via ICQ to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via AIM to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via MSN to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Yahoo to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Skype™ to FLYNNZL1
I have 2,000 miles on my 2017 ZL1. I am replacing the brake pads with Power Stop Z26's to lower brake dust. Do I need to prep my rotors before install, like sanding? If so what is a good method?
FLYNNZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:41 AM   #10
Deakins

Drives: 2017 2ss, m6
Quote:
I have the 15" kit with slotted rotors on the front. I ordered the calipers nickel plated and had them install thermolock pistons. I run the polymatrix H endurance race compound and they perform extremely well on the racetrack. Around town they will squeal some at less the 3 to 5 mph but stop very well even when cold. If I wanted to change out pads in between events they do make a street compound pad that won't squeal but I hit the track enough that I won't R&R pads that many times a year.

I went this route over the GM route simply for replacement parts. I can get rotor parts and pads easier from my distributor and at reduced costs. There are absolutely things that I like better with the Wilwood kit over the GM/Brembo kit...but there are things that I like better about the GM/Brembo kit as well. If you are interested in more details about this route let me know and we can chat about the pros and cons of this kit.
Deakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:52 PM   #11
phanophish

Drives: 2016 1SS
Would like to hear more on the 6 pistion options. I've got the 2016 SS with the stock 4 piston Brembos. I feel like bone stock their stopping power is good, but I get fade pretty bad near the end of a 20 min track session at Heartland Park.

Swapped the stock pads to Power Stop Z26 and after a single session I'm way disappointed in the new pads. Much less bite than the stock pads and the fade is even worse. Looks like back to OEM at a minimum or possibly the Raybestos ST43s that people seem to like. Also had real pulsing problems despite turning the rotors and strictly following the bed in procedure on Power Stop's website.

My question is I have also had some overheating issues and wonder if the larger rotor, and calipers will make a big difference. Stopping power on the 4 pistion Brembos was good on the OEM pads until the brakes were really heat soaked and then I'd get a fair amount of fade. I'm wondering about some of the new big brake kits or potentially building something with take offs. I've heard the ATS/CTS-V brakes might be an option or the stock Z06 Corvette brakes? Anyone tried any of those options?
phanophish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:57 PM   #12
glenB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:25 PM   #13
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanophish View Post
Swapped the stock pads to Power Stop Z26 and after a single session I'm way disappointed in the new pads. Much less bite than the stock pads and the fade is even worse.
How/why is this a recurring theme? PowerStop Z26 are STREET pads... NOT trackday pads... Of course they're going to be horrible on a road course...
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:49 AM   #14
phanophish

Drives: 2016 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
How/why is this a recurring theme? PowerStop Z26 are STREET pads... NOT trackday pads... Of course they're going to be horrible on a road course...

I didn't expect them to be race pads, but I was at least expecting them to be on par with the stock pads. They don't even have as much bite on the street in normal driving conditions. And the stock pads held up fairly well on track until the brakes were really heat soaked, the Powerstops had significant fade within in lap or two.

Best way I can describe is if stock was a 100% baseline, 90% at about 10 min, I was maybe down to 70% by the end of a 20min session on the stock pads.

The Powerstops started out at about 70% cold, were down to 50% in 5 min and down to 40 or less by the end of the session.
phanophish is offline   Reply With Quote