Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-08-2017, 11:42 PM   #1
Zl1steve

Drives: Zl1
5 coats of wax.

Been going over her all day removing minor flaws in the paint and then applied 5 coats of pinnacle wax. Huge difference and I am still wanting to get the ceramic coating.
Attached Images

Zl1steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 11:50 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Love pinnacle stuff, their coating is amazing. This looks good, but I swear you can save a lot of time by moving over to a wipe on polymer. I can get just as much gloss and just 25% of the time spent to put 5 coats on. Plus my back is in much better shape. This is 40 minutes worth of work:
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 11:51 PM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Looks great, both of you!
Old 04-09-2017, 02:20 AM   #4
datboi448

Drives: 2013 2LT RS, 2017 ZL1
What is the may 4th 2017 for? Are you from the future?!
Old 04-09-2017, 12:50 PM   #5
trident
No Hope

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Black Coupe, 2017 Z06,
I use to do that!

As you get older you look for easier ways of doing things; waxing the car. I use to do the same thing until I found that a good wash, claying the car and then just using Mequiar's Gold Class Carnauba Plus Premium Quick Wax in the spray bottle does just as good and a lot less time. I've worked days detailing and honestly after all the work I can't tell the difference. I am not endorsing Mequiar's, but I use it on the car, glass and wheels. Spray on and wipe off. Great looking car. I like your choice of color.
Attached Images

trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:52 PM   #6
Burnt Rubber

Drives: 1991 1LE & 2017 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by datboi448 View Post
What is the may 4th 2017 for? Are you from the future?!
Probably a temporary tag or he is from the future!
Burnt Rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 03:01 PM   #7
speedyman
Account Suspended

Drives: ATS4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Love pinnacle stuff, their coating is amazing. This looks good, but I swear you can save a lot of time by moving over to a wipe on polymer. I can get just as much gloss and just 25% of the time spent to put 5 coats on. Plus my back is in much better shape. This is 40 minutes worth of work
Which wipe on polymer do you like to use?
speedyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 03:09 PM   #8
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Read the first link, documents one and two
Black fire total polish and seal once, then black fire crystal seal from then on.....

A lot of us using it here. It is simply half the time of something like rejex that requires you to buff it off.....you simply wipe on .....and walk away

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=467166
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 03:14 PM   #9
Zl1steve

Drives: Zl1
The pinnacle wax really is not hard work. I can do the entire car in 15 minutes. I have never used a wax the wipes off like that stuff does. I am really on the fence about doing the ceramic coating.
Zl1steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:15 PM   #10
thompstl1

Drives: 2017 A10 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zl1steve View Post
The pinnacle wax really is not hard work. I can do the entire car in 15 minutes. I have never used a wax the wipes off like that stuff does. I am really on the fence about doing the ceramic coating.
I "practiced" putting the Pinnacle ceramic coating on my new truck while waiting on the ZL1 to arrive.

After seeing how good it looks and how easy it is to apply, I've got 0 doubt about applying the ceramic to my new car now (assuming it ever gets here). My truck washes easier, stays cleaner, shines more... it's amazing stuff! Haven't had to do more than squirt off the wheels and dry since I put the coating on.

Give it a try, pretty sure you'll be impressed!
Old 04-09-2017, 09:36 PM   #11
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompstl1 View Post
I "practiced" putting the Pinnacle ceramic coating on my new truck while waiting on the ZL1 to arrive.

After seeing how good it looks and how easy it is to apply, I've got 0 doubt about applying the ceramic to my new car now (assuming it ever gets here). My truck washes easier, stays cleaner, shines more... it's amazing stuff! Haven't had to do more than squirt off the wheels and dry since I put the coating on.

Give it a try, pretty sure you'll be impressed!
So Pinnacle' coating is easy to use? Have you tried any other coatings prior?

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:10 AM   #12
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Good looking cars guy's, show quality appearance...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:52 AM   #13
thompstl1

Drives: 2017 A10 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
So Pinnacle' coating is easy to use? Have you tried any other coatings prior?
Very easy. I'd envisioned I was applying some type of "clear coat" and there would be unforeseen ways to negatively affect my car. Not the case. The coating goes on just like a thin liquid wax or even better compared to a detailing spray. Be sure and do small areas at a time, spread it on evenly, and then wipe off with a micro-fiber cloth.

We have "love bugs" down south, than completely cover the front of the car and windshield. I've never had an easier time getting them off since I applied the coating.

I buy from Autogeek, they often have sales as much as 20% off. There are also many tutorials explaining application techniques and different products.

This is the product I bought, and there is enough to do several cars. There may be better coatings, but I choose Pinnacle because of user reviews and it's ease of application.

http://www.autogeek.net/diamond-coating-kit.html
Old 04-10-2017, 11:50 AM   #14
SoCal Racer

Drives: C4,C6 Z06,Silverado,'17 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by trident View Post
As you get older you look for easier ways of doing things; waxing the car. I use to do the same thing until I found that a good wash, claying the car and then just using Mequiar's Gold Class Carnauba Plus Premium Quick Wax in the spray bottle does just as good and a lot less time. I've worked days detailing and honestly after all the work I can't tell the difference. I am not endorsing Mequiar's, but I use it on the car, glass and wheels. Spray on and wipe off. Great looking car. I like your choice of color.
Nice shine

I've used Meguiars (along with alot of other brands), it's pretty good. I think the big difference between one item or another is not the initial result, but how long it lasts as well as it stands up to the daily conditions our cars go through. Some products just last longer or resist the elements better. Pretty much if you asked 10 people, you will get 10 different answers on what works for them (lol) When I was younger and detailed cars I really loved Zymol, it really worked well...probably still does, but not as cheap as stuff we can buy anywhere (Meguiars, Mothers, etc). I tried Chemical Brothers recently (because it was on sale, holiday) and it was pretty good, but not sure I would be willing to buy stuff over and over from them at full price, kinda pricey...

...I guess if we wash our cars often, any reputable brand will do the job fine. But if you don't do it often, I would recommend going with something more higher end. If you own a black car...you'll be doing a lot of washes to keep it perfect :(
SoCal Racer is offline   Reply With Quote