Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-16-2017, 06:12 PM   #1
glebulon

Drives: Hairdresser car
New guy, Camaro is on the list of potential cars

Hi guys,

I currently drive a Miata. It's my daily driver including winters and I use the car for autox and track days. I test drove a few cars and really like the Camaro, I want a ss with a manual. Tell me how it is living with the car on a daily basis, is it a PITA to drive in traffic, is parking a pain? How often do you open it up, Rev out second gear...etc. How are the consumables, tires, oil...etc.

Out of the cars that are still on my list are Focus RS, Evo GSR, E90/92 M3 and the Camaro.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
glebulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:21 PM   #2
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
2nd gear tops out at 80 which kinda sucks on the street. Clutch is not a problem in traffic. I also considered the E92 M3 which is a better GT car but ultimately less engaging unless you regularly hit 6k rpm+ on public roads.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:04 PM   #3
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Depends what you are looking for. I had a Miata for a short time. Really loved it on a narrow twisty road. But wasn't that much fun to drive around in most situations. Far too underpowered for me plus at 6' I was really too tall for it. Seat didn't go. Ack far enough and my head was above the wind break with the top down. My daily driver is a E39 M5 btw.

I have also owned a few vettes including C6 Z51s. The camaro has all the performance envelope of the vette in a much more livable package on the street. With a much nicer interior too I might add.

I got the SS in convertible trim and I love it. Fits the bill as my fun car. Could easily double as a daily driver. Much more room than a Miata. It's a much bigger car. No bigger than a vette but is heavier. Very much on par with the E92/3 size and chassis stiffness. I have no issue with visibilities. But there are more blind spots than a bmw or Miata. Similar to a vette. Anyway - I think it's a blast to drive fast on a backcountry road and is much nicer on a long freeway drive vs a Miata.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:46 PM   #4
OKSS

Drives: Mountune FB3+ FiST
No trouble parking, but I've had other similar cars before. I have a car seat and booster seat for kids, so it sees real world use and isn't that bad.

It is hard to use the car anywhere near its capability on the street without being eligible for police involvement. I'll wager it is a blast on a track though.

I had a Focus ST as a daily driver and had a Focus RS on order immediately prior to this car. Unless you get an RS at invoice and are willing to wait FOREVER for an objectively slower car all around, I wouldn't bother.

Even the base Camaro is a fantastic car (I've had buyers remorse concerning a turbo 4 Camaro RS for daily driving because those are plenty fast), and the SS is legit supercar performance at an amazing price. That isn't a hyperbolic statement either.
OKSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:11 PM   #5
2016SS

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2SS
I came from a 2 seater car before the Camaro one thing I find this car is good at pretending to be small I never notice it's size. Now a Miata is even smaller then my previous one so you could see it differently!

Easiest manual I have ever owned to operate I don't do the traffic thing much other then some semi size towns. If I was going to say Toronto I would take my truck but I'm sure the Camaro would be fine if it wasn't a daily thing driving in the city!

I'm a country boy so if you can tell I'm not big on city driving but lots do it with out any problems.

Great car great choice the Gen6 Camaro in my opinion is a real bang for the buck low 12 second car that can handle like a m4 around a track with cool technology can't go wrong you would love it .
2016 Camaro 2SS Summit built 3/28/16 delivered
2018 Camaro ZL1 cancelled by GM 😡
2019 Corvette 2lt Z51
2016SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:37 PM   #6
c4racer

Ya that's a point - the SS compares very favorably with the M4 yet is priced more in the E92 M3 range. There is no comparison with the older bmw. As much as I love bmw M cars and have owned 4 of them, the camaro is a better car. I was not expecting that.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:46 PM   #7
CamaroBody

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS
Miata to a Camaro SS is a huge jump but definitely the right one

Mods:
XPEL - Hood, Bumper, Headlights, & Side Mirrors
JWM - Side Markers
ZL1 Addons - Deluxe Rock Guards & Red Lift Pads
GM - Dark Tail Lamps
MRR - Gloss Black M017s
CamaroBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:20 PM   #8
Frank237

Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
I've got a 17 1SS with the Auto. Only other option was the NPP exhaust. The performance for well under $40K is staggering. Get a manual car and you save $1495.

Most of the Dealers here stock loaded 2 SS cars with every option. $55K for some of them.

With our persistent Winter I have had minimal driving with mine since November. But have taken quite a few 40-50 mile trips to town and back here lately when the roads are clear.

I was concerned about the OUTWARD VIEW which is mentioned in all of the tests. Set the mirrors up properly and it's a non issue.

Wish it had a little more room in the console as I carry a bunch of stuff with me. But so what?

ANY issues, or perceived issues....... go away quickly with a mash of the go pedal.
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:13 AM   #9
glebulon

Sounds like no one has regrets and is fine, the Camaro is not super popular so it's hard to get a large sample size(on more generic forums like carlounge).

I will be looking for a used one, a 2016, I saw a 2016 SS(blue) manual, 2SS with 10k miles for 35k(asking dealer price). I am hoping to get one in 6 months or so for maybe 33K, I would be willing to spend more on a 1LE but that means getting a 2017 which makes it pricier.

Do you guys know if the splitter on the 1LE is removable and how easy it is to remove it. I would want to lower the car to eliminate the wheelgap but the splitter would be super low.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:44 AM   #10
Genesis7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS
Focus RS, Evo GSR, E90/92 M3

None of them are better than the Camaro so why even elaborate an answer.
Genesis7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:50 AM   #11
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
I use mine as a daily driver, and absolutely love it. I would recommend getting the MRC, as it helps reduce harsh ride, while giving even better handling performance capabilities. I would also recommend the dual mode exhaust as well. It's nice to be able to adjust the volume of the exhaust as the situation warrants.

If this will be a daily driver for you, you may want to reconsider the 1LE package. It has a stiffer suspension (stiffer springs and sway bars) and more track focused tires (they will wear out faster). Not that you can't daily drive a 1LE, but the normal SS with MRC ain't no slouch on the track either, but it's more comfortable on a long trip.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:35 PM   #12
glebulon

Go-kart you say :-)

My plate
https://flic.kr/p/rXokFv

Thanks for the feedback
Old 02-17-2017, 08:07 PM   #13
c4racer

20pct off is not a yearly thing. I mean it could happen again, but it's not exactly part of GMs marketing plan or anything.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:45 PM   #14
pullthatwigback

Drives: brz...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSD View Post
Hi Glebulon, I was in your shoes 5 months ago. I've had 3 miata's over the years , most of them had upgraded tires, brakes and suspension. I've done a few trackdays and autocrosses. (I'm not the worlds greatest driver, but I enjoy it) I like how you put hairdressers car as your ride. That's how 99% of the world looks at miata's and their drivers. (even if I am 6'2" and 235 lbs) For those of us that have owned and driven them, we know better. They are drivers cars, just a little underpowered, very fun on tight roads and a good driver can embarrass drivers of cars costing 5 times more at the track.

Just for a comparison...
I sold my miata which had 550 / 350 springs, adjustable shocks, sways, 15x9 rims, re11 tires and carbotech pads. It was like a go kart and a blast to drive in the mountains. My friends with Corvettes had a hard time keeping up with me on really tight twisty technical roads.

Last October I bought a new 2SS A8 for $34,800 sticker was 47K. It's a great car, probably as much fun as a modified miata on mountain drives, but a little big compared to a miata in the really tight stuff that I liked in the miata. A modified miata with shocks / sways and tires is probably funner on very tight an technical roads, but the camaro is better everywhere else and has huge amounts of power and great acceleration that the miata doesn't offer. It's a big car but with mag ride shocks it hides the weight very well and it holds almost 1g stock. Imagine what it would do with better tires.

If you are getting a manual and if you plan to do any trackdays at all. Spend the extra and get the 1LE. That car comes track ready, good tires, shocks brakes etc. It will destroy almost everything at the trackday and its not much more than a regular SS. My stock camaro ss was 8 seconds faster than my miata at buttonwillow and thats a completely stock 2ss automatic. Dont rule out the automatic, its pretty good at the track and a lifesaver if your commute involves traffic.

Wait till the end of the year, GM offers 20% off starting in October. Not sure if they will have 1LE's with that discount, but 1SS and 2SS cars are heavily discounted.
Its a great daily car. At the end of last year people were getting new 2016 1SS manuals under 30k new.
im pretty sure i bought your miata. haha.
pullthatwigback is offline   Reply With Quote