#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 02-13-2017, 03:02 PM   #1
RRonin
Tony

Drives: 17 ZL1
ZL1 Sleeper?

So I've owned my ZL1 for almost 2 months now and I've noticed that I really don't get a lot of attention in this car. When I drove around in my Corvette Z06s and my Nismo, I was always getting looks and compliments. Has anyone else noticed this? I mean I'm rolling around in a BadAss car but people don't seem to understand how amazing this car is. Hell my wife just calls it a Camaro and I've corrected her more than a few times
Old 02-13-2017, 03:08 PM   #2
jesusmetal777
noob

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRonin View Post
people don't seem to understand how amazing this car is.
Exactly.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:15 PM   #3
KenB925

Drives: Raptor
Exactly why I want one, I can park it in front of my shop and not get grief from customers or employees because 'its just a Camaro' people are so stupid, they will drive up in a $70,000 pickup and give you shit about a $40,000 BMW or Porsche Boxster.
KenB925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:32 PM   #4
SoCal Racer

Drives: C4,C6 Z06,Silverado,'17 Red Hot ZL1
I don't believe most people know what a ZL1 is...and it does not really look a lot different from any other 6th gen Camaro. The difference between a standard Mustang and a GT350 is a little more noticeable...even my Mom (non-car person) can tell the difference there, but on the ZL1...outside of the front bumper, there really is not a lot of aesthetic difference. But I don't think it really qualifies as a sleeper because even an SS is pretty fast already. Usually a sleeper is something no one would believe could be fast and actually is...like a turbocharged mini-van...lol.

Part of me wishes the ZL1 did stand out a little more, but historically the original ZL1s just did not do that. They were kind of bland, I guess...so I guess this ZL1 follows that same profile....hahaha
SoCal Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:04 PM   #5
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
I think most people unless they own one has trouble telling the different trim levels. They might see a corvette but have no clue what trim level it is. I think the same applies with the ZL1, 90% of the people just see a Camaro.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:51 PM   #6
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
I think most people unless they own one has trouble telling the different trim levels. They might see a corvette but have no clue what trim level it is. I think the same applies with the ZL1, 90% of the people just see a Camaro.
This is perfectly fine with me...I'm not purchasing it to get attn & would prefer to fly under the radar & only deal with enthusiasts who appreciate great wheels.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:54 PM   #7
Evolvedx27

Drives: 2017 ZL1
One of the reasons why I ordered white. Shows a lot of the body lines and makes front end pop, along with hood insert. Kinda wish the rims were silver instead of gunmetal
Evolvedx27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:03 PM   #8
JTFIFTY

Drives: 2017 50th edition
I have been saying this same thing as the OP of this thread. We can all thank GM's brilliant marketing team for the general public's lack of knowledge on these awesome cars. Every time I turn on the tv I see a dodge ad with a hellcat or even their newest suv with smoke rolling off their tires with AC/DC playing in the background. Dodge has some of the best car commercials I've ever seen. GM...well...they have definitely missed the boat. The ZL1 is the baddest Camaro ever built and remind me again when was the last time any of us saw a Camaro ad on tv???
Old 02-13-2017, 05:14 PM   #9
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTFIFTY View Post
I have been saying this same thing as the OP of this thread. We can all thank GM's brilliant marketing team for the general public's lack of knowledge on these awesome cars. Every time I turn on the tv I see a dodge ad with a hellcat or even their newest suv with smoke rolling off their tires with AC/DC playing in the background. Dodge has some of the best car commercials I've ever seen. GM...well...they have definitely missed the boat. The ZL1 is the baddest Camaro ever built and remind me again when was the last time any of us saw a Camaro ad on tv???
I'm going to have to jump on the boat with this one...

I imagine if they had more commercials and marketing showing the ZL1 they would sell 2x or 3x more.

But to the OP topic I can say with 100% certainty that the difference between the 5th Gen SS and ZL1 were dramatic. I still say the 5th Gen ZL1 front end is one of the best looking bad ass cars of all time.....but I'm a little bias. lol

The 6th Gen is a sweet looking car but you really have to know what your looking at to tell the difference IMHO.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:25 PM   #10
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Not much difference in how it looks compared to lesser models.

However, what's important is how do you feel when you get behind the wheel. That's the real attention getter.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:30 PM   #11
gblaue

Drives: 2017 Bright Yellow ZL1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
This is perfectly fine with me...I'm not purchasing it to get attn & would prefer to fly under the radar & only deal with enthusiasts who appreciate great wheels.
+1
Old 02-13-2017, 05:36 PM   #12
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
I think GM is smart keeping it under the radar. Keeps the gooodie good government Nazis off their backs. Why advertise 650hp if you don't have to? Btw, the masses are still stuck on how "superior" (read clueless) their Import is to a GM car. Lol
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:43 PM   #13
dmj25

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS A8 Red Garnet NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Not much difference in how it looks compared to lesser models.
This is true. I saw a black ZL1 on the road for the first time and I thought it was either a v6 or the turbo Camaro because the RS package and ZL1 have identical lower vertical led daytime running lights. Of course had the Zl1 been a lighter color I would had not mistaken it for a RS because of the lower grill and hood vent.

Last edited by dmj25; 02-13-2017 at 07:01 PM.
dmj25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:43 PM   #14
Zeke.Malvo

Drives: 1969 Mustang MaCh1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolvedx27 View Post
One of the reasons why I ordered white. Shows a lot of the body lines and makes front end pop, along with hood insert. Kinda wish the rims were silver instead of gunmetal
White is one of the worse colors to show body lines. Metallics show them MUCH better since they reflect light, giving a larger variation of shades.