Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 01-11-2017, 05:27 PM   #1
irmb

Drives: Camaro SS
Dead battery - broke down - in a brand new car. wtf

This is such a common topic. Has Chevy owned up to it being a problem? I need to run some errands today and pick up my kid - but I'm afraid to drive my car.

This is BS.

What is Chevy doing for people with this issue?

Thanks.
irmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:57 PM   #2
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Sorry to hear that you have a battery problem with your car. I have had several batteries from different companies fail prematurely over the years. I think it is the nature of car batteries. I keep a Stanley Jump-Start battery around for emergencies. Might be inexpensive "insurance" to buy one to carry until you can get this resolved permanently.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:14 PM   #3
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
I think it is the nature of car batteries.
Fair enough assessment. And in the broader scope of things there are many causes of a "dead battery" beyond the battery itself being defective.

Back to irmb:
1) What do you mean by "broke down?"
2) How do you know the battery is "dead?"
3) You have an SS, so you have a voltmeter right in front of you when you drive. How was it behaving recently?
4) Did you notice any other electrical problems prior to your car "breaking down?"
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:15 PM   #4
Genesis7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS
Look at the list I have had in my car including peeling black rims, misaligned hood, ****ed up differential, exhaust valve noise in terior rattles etc etc etc Chevy quality dude!
Genesis7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:50 PM   #5
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Mine's been mostly fine. Interior rattles I dont consider a problem since _EVERY SINGLE YEAR_ of camaros for as long as i've been a member of various camaro forums have had people complain about rattles. Just as buyers likely do for nearly every car.

You find them, tighten up whatever is rattling and move on. Not everything is going to be glued/separated by felt or soft rubber.

You could look at Chevy quality like this: They're super confident so they dont have much of a QC department. Would you rather have confident workers building your car or people who are pretty sure they're screwing things up so they need an entire department to check their work? I think the choice is clear.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:07 PM   #6
irmb

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
Fair enough assessment. And in the broader scope of things there are many causes of a "dead battery" beyond the battery itself being defective.

Back to irmb:
1) What do you mean by "broke down?"
2) How do you know the battery is "dead?"
3) You have an SS, so you have a voltmeter right in front of you when you drive. How was it behaving recently?
4) Did you notice any other electrical problems prior to your car "breaking down?"
1) drove the car on the highway about 30 min. Went inside a shop for about 5 min - went outside and car wouldnt start. We couldnt jump it with another car or one of those jumper kits.

2)The battery tested at between 7 &9 volts. It was dead.

3) charging at between 13 &14 volts when driving.

4) No other indicators and the car has been driving fine
irmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:17 PM   #7
Homer2

Drives: 50th Anni.. coming home 11/01
What is Chevy gonna do about this?

Im betting they replace your battery.
Built Sept 16/2016 - #2681 of 5955. She came home with me 11/01/16. 50th Anni, 2SS, A8, NPP, NGM Rock Guards, Footwell Lighting, Black Bow Ties, Street Warrior Rotors and Pads, Ceramic Pro, 3M PPF, Oracle Ghosted Side Markers, Kooks 2" headers w/hi flow cats. GPI Stage 1 Cam installed at 305,000 kms.
Homer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:22 PM   #8
1BlueSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
You do know that Chevy/AC Delco don't "make" the batteries right? There's only 2-3 companies that make batteries, they are just sold under different brands. And yes it's possible to get a brand new battery that's bad. I've seen it and dealt with it several times. Get a new battery under warranty and go about your business. There's no sense in blowing a small issue out of proportion.

1BlueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:29 PM   #9
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I have a '14 Honda Accord - battery died within 1 week of buying it. Honda replaced it. Replacement died 2 years later - replaced again (under warranty).
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:43 AM   #10
UKCamaro2SS
Need more parking space

Drives: Camaro2SS '17,Audi A6
In general I would agree, try not to go nuts over the little things, but to say engineers must be so good that they don't need QC doesn't make sense.

If they were so great there wouldn't be the problems, either way QC is clearly needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
Mine's been mostly fine. Interior rattles I dont consider a problem since _EVERY SINGLE YEAR_ of camaros for as long as i've been a member of various camaro forums have had people complain about rattles. Just as buyers likely do for nearly every car.

You find them, tighten up whatever is rattling and move on. Not everything is going to be glued/separated by felt or soft rubber.

You could look at Chevy quality like this: They're super confident so they dont have much of a QC department. Would you rather have confident workers building your car or people who are pretty sure they're screwing things up so they need an entire department to check their work? I think the choice is clear.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2017, 05:25 AM   #11
1LE801
"Lohla"

Drives: 2016 1SS A8 :"Lohla"
I work in Honda service. We put batteries in new cars all the time. Shit happens. Sorry it happened to you.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:27 AM   #12
Bigdog9586

Drives: 2016 Z06 coupe
I feel a lot of the battery problems are because the cars sit on the lot and go dead numerous times and I've been told that a dead battery you lose 1/2 its life. Many times and it won't hold a charge.
Bigdog9586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:59 AM   #13
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Mine died on me after 1 month of ownership but then miraculously started working again. I didn't drive it for less than a week and went to start it and it was dead as a doornail. Jumped it and brought it in to the dealer and the battery tested fine. They hooked it up to their tools and said everything shut down fine and in order. I haven't had an issue since and they wouldn't replace the battery. Obviously something caused the battery to drain that one time and then fixed itself. I understand your frustrations but hopefully it won't happen again.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:09 AM   #14
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmb View Post
2)The battery tested at between 7 &9 volts. It was dead.
With that voltage I suspect you have a dead cell.
This should be easy to spot when they hook up a battery tester.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote