Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

Old 12-08-2016, 08:16 AM   #1
whiskeyfed
Pat

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT I4 Turbo A8
New Ceramic Pro Sport Coating

Hey guys, I started this thread in the 2.0 Turbo bolt-on section but figured from here on it was a little off topic. So as the title says, I just got a coating of the Ceramic Pro Sport for the winter. (when the "sun" comes out, ill get some pictures up, the paint looks phenomenal!!!

A few questions for the avid detailers out there...

1. What rinseless wash would you recommend? My detailer recommended Optimum 'something' rinseless car wash

2. I want to put a coat of wax on top of it, I have read this is okay to do but want some Camaro opinions.

3. Superfine sponge? my detailers also recommended i use one of these, whatever they are. I use 2 chenille MF ones now, are those no good for rinseless?

Thanks Fellas
whiskeyfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:39 AM   #2
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
check out the "you gotta try a rinseless" thread here.

I like Optimum No Rinse Wash and Wax for my rinseless with wax and Chemical Guys Rinse Free Wash and Shine for rinseless with no wax.

I like to use 12 The Rag Company Edgeless Eagle MF towels in a bucket of solution. Pre spray the panel with solution and use a new towel for each panel.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:42 AM   #3
KirkH

Yes you can put wax on your coating but you dont have to. On my nightfall grey metallic paint with Opti Gloss Coat, carnauba wax makes it look like wet, black oil. Synthetic wax makes it look lighter grey and the metallic really shows.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:50 AM   #4
whiskeyfed
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
Yes you can put wax on your coating but you dont have to. On my nightfall grey metallic paint, carnauba wax makes it look like wet, black oil. Synthetic wax makes it look lighter grey and the metallic really shows.

Thanks Kirk, really appreciate the help
Old 12-08-2016, 09:53 AM   #5
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Put me in the column that if you have a coating, you don't need a wax. But that's all personal. Many people who just like the detail will do it anyway. But I've never done it. The most I'll do is a spray polymer like Duragloss aquawax when doing a rinseless.....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:01 AM   #6
whiskeyfed
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Put me in the column that if you have a coating, you don't need a wax. But that's all personal. Many people who just like the detail will do it anyway. But I've never done it. The most I'll do is a spray polymer like Duragloss aquawax when doing a rinseless.....
I literally just sent you a PM, you beat me to it
Old 12-08-2016, 10:46 AM   #7
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
Personally I use CarPro Cquartz wait about 7 days for it to fully cure then add Carpro reload. The ceramic coatings is a great protection but the reload every 6 months prolongs the coating and gives the deep shine and slick top coat. I would stay in the same family of car products who make your ceramic coatings. Some products will not work well or best together.
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:32 AM   #8
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Yes a spray polymer will give it that "candy shell" appearance.

My guess is that the carnauba and the synthetic polymers reflect and refract the light off the paint differently, so each "topping" makes the paint look different.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:58 AM   #9
Glen e

This was discussed At autogeek last year sometime by Cory at carpro...., the problem with a true wax on top of a coating is the coating is so hard the wax can't cross-link (bond) with the surface and stick, and therefore after a few weeks or a month it washes off. The only thing that will stick to a si02 coating is another SIO2 to product, like Hydro2, TAC or the Reload discussed above.…
Old 12-08-2016, 12:20 PM   #10
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Yeah no need to wax on top of a sealant or coating, kind of really a waste of time and money in my opinion.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:42 PM   #11
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
Yeah no need to wax on top of a sealant or coating, kind of really a waste of time and money in my opinion.
Spending quality time with your most beloved is not a waste of time!

Glen e will disagree
Old 12-08-2016, 12:45 PM   #12
whiskeyfed
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
Spending quality time with your most beloved is not a waste of time!

Glen e will disagree
Hey man everyone has their opinions. I am tending to lean towards the not waxing. Don't get me wrong, detailing and cleaning my car is pure therapy for me, but I have been pondering this today and i think that a quick detail spray might suffice. Or nothing... who knows.

Thanks for the input

Subscribe on YouTube Whiskeyfed Camaro

Follow my Build Thread The WhiskeyFed Camaro

Current Modifications: JacFab Boost-O-Lator, Injen Evolution CAI, ZZP Catless Downpipe, RPM 3" Charge Pipe, Mishimoto Oil Filtration/Coolant Systems, R1 Concepts Brakes Package, Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, PTP Lava Exhaust Wrap & Turbo Blanket

DYNO SHEET: 297whp / 374wtq
Tuned by #danytechtuning
Old 12-08-2016, 12:48 PM   #13
Glen e

You are correct, I'd much rather be driving the thing that putting on another coat of super dooper latest magic product that gets me 15% more gloss. When I can see myself n the finish, I'm done!.....LOL

But realize I'm old, I used to love that "10 coats of this, then that" regimen......
Old 12-08-2016, 01:00 PM   #14
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeAmericaFastAgain View Post
Hey man everyone has their opinions. I am tending to lean towards the not waxing. Don't get me wrong, detailing and cleaning my car is pure therapy for me, but I have been pondering this today and i think that a quick detail spray might suffice. Or nothing... who knows.

Thanks for the input
For sure. My car gets me business (I'm a part-time detailer) so I am always looking for that EXTRA special touch.

I get stopped every day by someone who wants to tell me how good my car looks

I hand them a bag with free premium MF towel and my card and say "I can do it for your car too!"