Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-07-2016, 05:44 PM   #1
nfboy

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT HBM
Adding LED tail lights to 2017 1LT non-RS

Assuming by now someone here has done this conversion, what adaptor/wiring harness is required to make it work? I am sifting through the vendors here in te meantime.

Thanks for any and all help.
nfboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:18 PM   #2
Hyper1SS

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 1SS M6 NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfboy View Post
Assuming by now someone here has done this conversion, what adaptor/wiring harness is required to make it work? I am sifting through the vendors here in te meantime.

Thanks for any and all help.
There best way to go. He uses all OEM connectors. I have new taillights if you need them.

http://www.gen5diy.com/Gen6-Camaro-N..._description=1

2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 1SS M6 with body color hood vents, Silver broken 5 spoke wheels, NPP dual exhaust, Dark Night Interior Spectrum Lighting, Illuminated door sills plates.

Upgrades include: Roto-Fab intake, Mishimoto catch can, MBRP cat-back Race exhaust, TSP 1 7/8 headers, EFI E85 Flex Fuel, MRR M017 graphite wheels with Nitto N555 G2 tires, Goodridge stainless steel brake lines, Powder coated Brembo calipers, BMR suspension, Eibach sport springs, Emblempros fender badges

Order ID: TDHQMS
1100 on 01/07/2016 at Penske Chevrolet
6000 on 02/23/2016 Delivered to customer
Hyper1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:44 AM   #3
nfboy

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT HBM
What is the difference between the LED tail lights of an RS Camaro (1LT/2LT) and a SS? As I said above I want to put LED taillights in a 1 LT non-RS but I need to make sure I understand what can and can not be easily done and whether there is a difference in the two LED sets.

Last edited by nfboy; 11-08-2016 at 09:00 AM.
nfboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:34 AM   #4
Eos

Drives: Camaro Coupé 2.0T AT8 (EU version)
Hi nfboy!,

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfboy View Post
What is the difference between the LED tail lights of an RS Camaro (1LT/2LT) and a SS?
None. They are the same part, but you will need the harness as the non-RS (standard, non LED lights) have different electrical power consumption, so you would get an error on your body computer.

Quote:
I need to make sure I understand what can and can not be easily done and whether there is a difference in the two LED sets.
The non-LED to LED conversion can be easily done: buy the tail lights you prefer (SS or RS in red or the brand new black versions) and the harness. All you will have to do is to switch them. No body computer coding, nothing more.

See you!!,
Eos
Eos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:34 PM   #5
pjz1082

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Bumping this post for additional info. I have the 1lt and want to add the clear tail lights. I know i need them and the harness from gen5diy. What about the bulb itself? I need to buy the LED for each tail light, correct? If so, does anyone have a part number?
pjz1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:08 AM   #6
BamBam2SS

Drives: 2017 2SS/M6 W/MRC & NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjz1082 View Post
Bumping this post for additional info. I have the 1lt and want to add the clear tail lights. I know i need them and the harness from gen5diy. What about the bulb itself? I need to buy the LED for each tail light, correct? If so, does anyone have a part number?
The only serviceable bulb in the tail lights is your reverse lights... If you buy the dark/clear tail lights new they will come with regular incandescent reverse light bulbs or your regular reverse light bulbs will work too.

If you want to upgrade those to LED's, Gen5diy sells a harness/resistor for that too (as does phastek)... Otherwise, The LED running lights and brake lights are built into the tail lights.
BamBam2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:04 AM   #7
Eos

Drives: Camaro Coupé 2.0T AT8 (EU version)
Hi pjz1082!,

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjz1082 View Post
What about the bulb itself? I need to buy the LED for each tail light, correct? If so, does anyone have a part number?
No, you don't need any LED extra bulb for the main lights. As BamBam2SS told you, the new LED bulbs are built-in, so there's no need of any additional part.

The only bulb that will not be made of LEDs will remain the reverse light, but it is possible to change them (if you don't like their look as OEM).

So, if you want the RS/SS original LED look, simply go for the LED assembly (and the harness, of course).

See you!!,
Eos
Eos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:47 PM   #8
pjz1082

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Thanks guys! Appreciate the feedback!
pjz1082 is offline   Reply With Quote