Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-13-2016, 11:34 PM   #1
TGG1SS

Drives: 2012 AGM Camaro 1SS M6 LS3
Differential Noise and power train warranty

Hello All,

I recently went to a local Chevrolet dealership to discuss a howling noise from the diff on my 2012 Camaro 5. I have had this diff replaced before, the first replacement was due to a faulty bearing within the actual housing itself with fragments of metal eating away at the gear causing the gear assembly to fail

I now have the same issue, roughly 25K miles later. I visited the dealership, and it seemed as though they proceeded to advise me on what part I would be liable for, keep in mind, I have not tracked, modified, or supercharged this vehicle. I would think that the 100K warranty would apply in this situation.

Anyone have any experience with this issue once, or more than once?

Thanks In Advance

Nino
TGG1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 01:15 PM   #2
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
it is certainly a part of the powertrain,i would think they would be on the hook for whatever it takes to make it right.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:07 AM   #3
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Tell them, let me advise you what part of the warranty will be covering this...all of it. Any questions, that's not my fkng problem either.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:28 PM   #4
redcoats1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Tell them, let me advise you what part of the warranty will be covering this...all of it. Any questions, that's not my fkng problem either.
not sure that would be the way to go about it.tell them you are going to speak to the zone representative or contact chevy service,then explain how this dealer is treating you.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:54 PM   #5
TGG1SS

Working with GM Customer Service

Wanted to post an update, I'm currently working with GM customer service on getting this to a dealership that will fix the issue, it happens to be the dealer that I bought the car from. Taking it over tomorrow AM, they will have a loaner car waiting.

The picture to the left as the Avatar is when I first bought the vehicle in 2012, before it started to rattle!

GM Customer service has been very helpful.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:12 PM   #6
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
not sure that would be the way to go about it.tell them you are going to speak to the zone representative or contact chevy service,then explain how this dealer is treating you.
All unnecessary. The car came with a warranty book. Open it and show them where it is covered in black and white. They can call Chevy if they don't know how to read the warranty.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:59 AM   #7
redcoats1976

it sounded to me like the first dealer he went to wasnt being too cooperative.apparently he has found a good one now.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:59 PM   #8
TGG1SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
All unnecessary. The car came with a warranty book. Open it and show them where it is covered in black and white. They can call Chevy if they don't know how to read the warranty.
Tear down in progress at dealer, service manager said "sounds like a spun internal diff bearing race" we'll see what they say. Being this is the second issue that is bearing related, my expectation is that they honor the warranty and do what is in the best interest of the customer.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:03 PM   #9
TGG1SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
it sounded to me like the first dealer he went to wasnt being too cooperative.apparently he has found a good one now.
I've had a good experience with this dealer on both Camaro purchases aside from the mechanical issues, the first 2010 had an oil consumption issue, would burn through 3-4 quarts between oil changes, traded in the black 2010 L-99 for the 2012 M6 LS3. I have to say at this point given the previous mentioned issues, onto a Silverado Crew Cab!
Old 09-27-2016, 11:06 AM   #10
12zl1

Drives: Silver ZL1 6 Spd
My 12 ZL1 has the same problem...24 k miles still under the power train warranty.
GM told me no help but after a few calls was told that GM would pay half of the 500 bucks it cost to chand the lube 3 times and the figure 8 routine. GM also said it may or may not fix the problem but if this process did not fix it the PowertrIn warranty would like in and take care of anything else. I think the PT warranty should cover it all but I guess I'm lucky to get
Out for a couple hundred dollars. If any of you need my work order number for ammo against GM let me know and you are welcome to it.
12zl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 01:54 PM   #11
TGG1SS

Got car back today

Diff replaced, we'll see how this goes. I don't have enough space within the type field to describe the issues they found when the tear down took place. let's just say bad - really bad! Working with GM legal on buy back, they have all the service records relative to the issue, just need to wait and see what they come back with! More to follow.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:59 PM   #12
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGG1SS View Post
Diff replaced, we'll see how this goes. I don't have enough space within the type field to describe the issues they found when the tear down took place. let's just say bad - really bad! Working with GM legal on buy back, they have all the service records relative to the issue, just need to wait and see what they come back with! More to follow.
Did they possibly fix and replace the previous rear end the first time? I sold my 2012 LS3 rear 3.45 diff with approx 112K I think and the buyer said the inside was clean and this was track use and all.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:06 PM   #13
TGG1SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
Did they possibly fix and replace the previous rear end the first time? I sold my 2012 LS3 rear 3.45 diff with approx 112K I think and the buyer said the inside was clean and this was track use and all.
I'm thinking that they did not, they replaced some seals, bearings the first two times, that tells me there was particles (metallic) still within the differential, if they would have replaced it the first time, this issue may not have occurred, the one they just replaced it with is still making a howling noise, we'll see how long this one lasts. If it persists, back to the shop it goes!
Old 10-09-2016, 10:25 AM   #14
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGG1SS View Post
I'm thinking that they did not, they replaced some seals, bearings the first two times, that tells me there was particles (metallic) still within the differential, if they would have replaced it the first time, this issue may not have occurred, the one they just replaced it with is still making a howling noise, we'll see how long this one lasts. If it persists, back to the shop it goes!
Howling noise. check to see if it has enough fluid.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote