Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-09-2016, 09:21 AM   #1
EagleRS

Drives: Nightfall Grey 2.0L Turbo
Auto 8 on my 2.0L Turbo harsh downshift

This morning as I was driving into work, I noticed my tranny did something funny. As I was taking off from a stop light, a car changed lanes in front of me suddenly and I had to slam on the brakes. The tranny did a harsh and sudden downshift as I let my foot of throttle to the brake and hit the throttle again. I thought I broke the car since it never has done that before. I did have my car in Sport Mode the whole commute into work. Could it have been a glitch and just a harsh downshift to speed back up?
EagleRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:18 AM   #2
pdrumans

Drives: 2LT Red Hot 2.0t
Im not sure if you experienced what I normally do and I think is just the normal sport mode response. I notice quite a bit when slowing normally in sport mode, that the trans will shift into what I believe is first gear prior to the car stopping, so that there is a noticeable push on the brake as the engine shifts into first as Im slowing. I always feel that this push or surge of power would move me forward quite fast if not having my foot on the brake. You can actually feel the downshifted power working against the brake for a split second.
pdrumans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:46 PM   #3
EagleRS

Makes Sense

Thanks for the reply, I imagine it was just a glitch or just a more of a noticeable downshift. At least it's under warranty...if it breaks, GM has to fix it.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:45 AM   #4
Zyoder

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT 2.0T
I got a 2.0 A8, I thought this too when I first got it, I dont notice any harshness 5000 miles later I leave mine in sport all the time though so maybe I am just used to how it shifts, or maybe the trans just has to break itself in if you just bought yours.

Although I can tell you and dont quote me but from what I`ve read and have been told these trans especially if in sport will try to "predict" what gear next you`ll be going into for faster shifting. Almost like pre-loading the next gear so if it was expecting you to go from 3rd to 4th but you had to suddenly slam on your brakes there is this disconnected feeling like a pause in the trans then a "harder shift" back into 1st.
Zyoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:34 AM   #5
pdrumans

Drives: 2LT Red Hot 2.0t
Most of the automatics I have had, never felt like they shifted down to first gear until you either stopped the vehicle at which point it should go to first or in the case were you were driving at a low enough speed and your cars transmission could down shift when pressing the gas to gain speed. This transmission, feels to me like it will shift into first while slowing or at a low enough speed in prep for either situation.
pdrumans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:08 PM   #6
EagleRS

I really appreciate the insight y'all have posted thus far. Thanks again guys!