Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 02-05-2016, 07:50 PM   #1
CamaroATL

Drives: 2016 Black 2SS + NPP + MRC
Cell Phone Holder + Gun Holster?

What's up guys,

I am wondering if ya'll have invested in a decent solution for holding your Cell phone within view. If so, what brand and got pics? I have NAV but I like to use the Waze app so I want my phone in view. Anybody got any cell phone holders that they like? For whatever reason my 6plus doesn't even fit on the wireless car charger so i've gotta figure out a solution for utilizing that as well, hate to have it and not use it.

Also, I have my concealed carry permit and would prefer a nice holster for within the car as well. Either under the steering wheel or elsewhere i'd be open to. Anybody invested in one of those yet? If so, what brand? Pics?
CamaroATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:44 PM   #2
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Why don't you project your phone to screen?

You can mount a magnetic holster under your column?
Old 02-05-2016, 10:05 PM   #3
BahamaTodd

Drives: 08 Accord V6/M6 / 04 Canyon Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
Why don't you project your phone to screen?

You can mount a magnetic holster under your column?
That's not how Apple car play or Android auto works. Apps have to be designed to work on those systems. Waze has no plans for apple car play and its supposedly coming to android auto at some point.
BahamaTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:08 PM   #4
OaklandSS

Drives: 2016 SS Blue Velvet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroATL View Post

Also, I have my concealed carry permit and would prefer a nice holster for within the car as well. Either under the steering wheel or elsewhere i'd be open to. Anybody invested in one of those yet? If so, what brand? Pics?
As a dude who thinks about these things way too in depth, I'll say this:

Personally, I'd keep the piece on your person (I use an inside the waistband holster). Why?

A) if you get into a situation where you are going to use it, odds are you are going to want to get out and away from the car. Shooting from a moving car looks cool in the movies, but it's obviously unrealistic IRL. Also, cars are bullet magnets - the most obvious place that the bad guy will think you are is in the driver's seat, so many of their initial rounds will go there. If you're already moving to cover / flanking position, you have a marked advantage.

B) it's pretty damn hard to forget the gun in the car if it's on your person. But the one time you forget it in the holster in the car, per Murphy's law, is the one time the car gets broken into. Save yourself the grief.

C) You probably normally carry in a certain place on your body and train that way. In the heat of a gunfight, you will revert back to training, so unless you're doing a fair amount of reps with that holster, you'll be grabbing at air on your waistband while the bad guy keeps coming. Definitely a bad feeling. Train to get the gun out quickly, move to cover, and keep your situational awareness and you will gain much more of an advantage than the one given by a marginally more accessible holster under your steering wheel. Just my two cents...

P.S. D) getting away from the car decreases the chances that the car gets struck by stray rounds. Cause once you eliminate the threat you'd hate to see that the bad guy messed up your ride!!

Be safe!
OaklandSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:44 PM   #5
CamaroATL

Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandSS View Post

Personally, I'd keep the piece on your person (I use an inside the waistband holster). Why?

A) if you get into a situation where you are going to use it, odds are you are going to want to get out and away from the car. Shooting from a moving car looks cool in the movies, but it's obviously unrealistic IRL. Also, cars are bullet magnets - the most obvious place that the bad guy will think you are is in the driver's seat, so many of their initial rounds will go there. If you're already moving to cover / flanking position, you have a marked advantage.

B) it's pretty damn hard to forget the gun in the car if it's on your person. But the one time you forget it in the holster in the car, per Murphy's law, is the one time the car gets broken into. Save yourself the grief.

C) You probably normally carry in a certain place on your body and train that way. In the heat of a gunfight, you will revert back to training, so unless you're doing a fair amount of reps with that holster, you'll be grabbing at air on your waistband while the bad guy keeps coming. Definitely a bad feeling. Train to get the gun out quickly, move to cover, and keep your situational awareness and you will gain much more of an advantage than the one given by a marginally more accessible holster under your steering wheel. Just my two cents...

P.S. D) getting away from the car decreases the chances that the car gets struck by stray rounds. Cause once you eliminate the threat you'd hate to see that the bad guy messed up your ride!!

Be safe!
Lol I appreciate the in-depth response. I still want a holster mounted under my steering column because I carry w/ my pistol behind my back, in an accident, you dont want a gun smashed against your spine. I have no problem grabbing it from the holster and moving it to carry position. I'll browse for a magnetic mount for the steering column or something, thanks for all the info!
Old 02-06-2016, 03:05 PM   #6
bbrown450

Drives: 2016 Mosaic Black 2SS
Not sure about the holster thing but my Pro clips cell mount from my C7 works our just fine
http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1507/2...6eb060bb_b.jpg
bbrown450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 04:28 PM   #7
CamaroATL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown450 View Post
Not sure about the holster thing but my Pro clips cell mount from my C7 works our just fine
Dude this looks perfect, perfect placement and everything.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:50 PM   #8
CamaroATL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown450 View Post
So i'm confused. All I see is information on the website about the holders, but now how they're actually mounted to the car (besides the ones that go in the air vents). How is yours mounted? Is it screwed into the actual footwell?
Old 02-07-2016, 10:50 AM   #9
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
I just use alien gear IWB holsters. There is no place in the car to be able to put a holster in it. If you carry, you carry it on you. Not somewhere else. And if you get a good holster like the alien gear one, it won't even bother you. I am 260lbs and 6'2 and am very comfortable driving the camaro while carrying. It's all about a good holster. I have an HK Vp9 for carry, so it isn't a small compact pistol either. Full size pistol...
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:27 PM   #10
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
I always just use a sticky holster and shove it between the seat, at least it worked on my 5th gen.
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 06:50 PM   #11
pilot996

Drives: vrod muscle
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandSS View Post
ever try to draw from an IWB holster with a seat belt on? It's work enough with an OWB not covered. I like having storage space under the radio in front of the gear shifter to store while driving. Obviously that's not an option in this car.

Also, depending on the state, exiting your vehicle and engaging in a gun fight when you have the option to flee could vehicle get you in a shit ton of trouble, regardless of whether it's self defense or not. And given that there are very few people to battle train with fire arms I don't think it's a good idea to send 7 yard paper hole punchers out of their vehicles to fire in public.

I merely disagree. I hope that doesn't read in a condescending tone.
pilot996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 07:12 PM   #12
kcpoloman

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I cant find a good place for my phone without using up the cup holders. Its there or the passenger seat and it slides around. Need a better option.
kcpoloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 07:36 PM   #13
OaklandSS

Drives: 2016 SS Blue Velvet
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot996 View Post
ever try to draw from an IWB holster with a seat belt on? It's work enough with an OWB not covered. I like having storage space under the radio in front of the gear shifter to store while driving. Obviously that's not an option in this car.

Also, depending on the state, exiting your vehicle and engaging in a gun fight when you have the option to flee could vehicle get you in a shit ton of trouble, regardless of whether it's self defense or not. And given that there are very few people to battle train with fire arms I don't think it's a good idea to send 7 yard paper hole punchers out of their vehicles to fire in public.

I merely disagree. I hope that doesn't read in a condescending tone.
Definitely valid points. However my earlier thoughts were all premised on a couple assumptions: first, that the situation has deteriorated enough where escape (at least in the car) is not an option, and second, that one has trained enough to run the gun effectively. Obviously a topic for another thread/forum, but just like having a fast car doesn't make you a racecar driver, having a gun doesn't make you a commando. I'd assume that those who get concealed carry permits invest the time/money to train effectively - AND that they are level-headed enough to exhaust other options etc. before resorting to lethal force, negating any issues with the law.

However, it's definitely to each their own! If I see things possibly moving towards a bad point I have been known to get the gun out of my waistband and under my thigh - I just like the ability to better my position on my feet without having to worry about grabbing the gun ahead of time.

sorry for the
OaklandSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:06 PM   #14
CamaroATL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcpoloman View Post
I cant find a good place for my phone without using up the cup holders. Its there or the passenger seat and it slides around. Need a better option.
a guy above posted a good spot, beside your right knee mounted and pointing up... I may look at it mounting on the passenger side near the left knee and facing my way, maybe some kind of mount with an extendable/movable arm would be nice. Just have to find the option now.