Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-27-2015, 04:56 PM   #1
Camaro117

Drives: Yellow 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Your thoughts on the camaros interior

Hey guys, so this question has been in my mind for a while now so I thought Id post and get some feed back from other camaro owners. So ive had my camaro for 6 months now, and I love it! I really do. I came from a 2008 Sierra denali and I loved that too. It had been my dream truck. Ill own another one day! Ive always been a truck guy. I dont haul stuff or anything I just always liked trucks. But it was racking up the miles and I also thought it was time for a change while I was young (Im 22) I thought I want something fun while Im young and can enjoy it. I can always own a truck when Im married with kids. But anyway, switching from a "luxury" truck to a sports car was a big change lol. In the denali I had alot of space, sat up high, I loved the wood trim, some people dont but I did, I really like the luxury part of it. Although the sierra did have alot of plastic in it as well. But it had nice leather touches on the doors and the top part of the doors were soft touch and I also had all the fancy features, the nav, the bose system, the pedal adjusters, dual climate control, etc, all that. And then I went to a camaro, which has some nice feature too, heated seats, the ABL, I have a 2012 so I have the leather inserts on the dash which are nice. But it too has alot of plastic. Some plastic I think is a little better quality than the sierra but some plastic in the camaro is flimsy.

My point is, what do you guys think of the camaros interior? think its nice or cheap? hate it? dislike it? what are your thoughts?
Overall I do like it, I like the design, the retro/futuristic design, but it could be better (like the camaro 6) could have less plastic and stuff. Id give it a 7/10. The only problems I dont like is the plastic on the doors are flimsy, and the back lid rattles with high bass.

Also for you guys that have other cars or silverados/sierras what do you guys think of your interiors vs when you get into your camaros?
Camaro117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 05:14 PM   #2
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
I hate the plastic on the doors mine is scratched up really bad from the seatbelt... Overall the interior is pretty cheap looking but I still like it why I have no idea lol.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 05:39 PM   #3
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
I think it's a pretty sweet interior. I just wish they all had the leather on the dash my 2011 doesn't. 2012 is when they started.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:52 PM   #4
Pete M
9 Year USMC Vet

Drives: 2014 1LT black on black
It's a damn sight better than the interior of my lifted 1991 Jeep Cherokee!
I love it, and with a few upgrades, I love it more..

Last edited by Pete M; 12-27-2015 at 06:23 PM.
Pete M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 06:21 PM   #5
Irace16

Drives: 2010 1SS RS M6
It's ok , but compare it to a mustang or challenger ... It's pretty poor. That said I still chose camaro
Old 12-27-2015, 06:30 PM   #6
SS376

Drives: 2013 1SS LS3
Pro:
The driving position, combined with the narrow windows, makes it feel special. Driving it feels like an event.
The guages look good.
The seats are comfortable.
You have a nice view of the hood. Hate it when you can't see the hood of a car (like my 4th gen).

Con:
The 13+ steering wheel is rental car boring.
The materials are pretty cheap looking.
The door armrests aren't padded.
Some of the ergonomics are questionable, such as the business end of the tach being partially hidden by the steering wheel.

Summary:
I like it. Makes you feel cool. Mostly looks good. Feels like a muscle car interior.

My other cars are a Subaru Forester and an '85 Olds Delta 88. The Olds feels like valium or a nice glass of scotch, in a good way. Calming, comfortable, never in a rush. Oh, and nice thin pillars with plenty of glass. Great visibility, and a great view down that big square hood, all the way down to the glorious hood ornament.

The Subaru works just fine but it's generic and boring.
SS376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 06:45 PM   #7
scandata

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS vert, Spring Green Edtn
Different builds have different interiors, but I'm pretty happy with both the 1LT I owned and my 2SS. My only complaints are more to do with functionality:

• Because of the way I sit and hang my hand on the steering wheel, my wrist was always blocking my view of the speedometer in my 1LT. No longer a problem with the head-up display in my 2SS .
• Those with a manual have mentioned that the audio controls on the steering wheel are on the wrong side. They should be on the left spoke of the wheel so when you change stations you can leave your right hand on the shifter and your left hand on the wheel.
• I don't like having the instrument cluster below the center console in my 2SS. In my 1LT that space was open, providing a convenient place for my sunglasses, driving glasses, and spare change. I'd rather have all of those readings in the LCD dash display and keep that space open.
• The infotainment center should be higher up in the dash so it's easier to glance at while driving. Having more of its readings integrated into the HUD would be nice too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/sigpic_zpsxmxmbipg.jpg
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 06:46 PM   #8
bscott07

Drives: 89/99 Silverado’s / future Ca
What all mods can you really do without breaking the bank? I like the dash, but the console is where it looks the cheapest and is probably going to be the easiest to scratch up and make look bad.
bscott07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:25 PM   #9
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
I really like the design of the interior. The materials used? Not so much. But at least the steering wheel and the shifter feel nice to the touch.

what really surprises me is that at 77K miles, nothing rattles. Says a lot for the structure of the car considering all the hard formed plastic trim.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:28 PM   #10
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
To be honest the 5.0 I test drove before I bought my SS had a softer dash plastic but that was about it.

Challenger interiors are freaking gross, it looks like Chrysler literally pulled the Town and Country interior out and said "this is fine". Not something you need to be putting into your next gen pony car. I give GM and Ford credit for designing bespoke interiors for both of their pony cars. The only thing I wish I had was the '13 touch screens but outside of that I am very happy with my interior. Seats are comfortable, I love the throw back gauges, I don't really care for the '10-'11 gauge cluster/steering wheel, and I like the little touch of leather on the dash. I should clarify by gauge cluster I mean the needles, they look wide and out of place. I like the thinner needles on the '12's.

No rattles is good too lol. My buddies '02 Z/28 rattles like a lego box
NC_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 08:25 PM   #11
mikedog_66
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Camaro
I think the interior in the 5th gen is awesome. It definitely makes you feel like you're driving a modern day muscle car....ie, Chevelle/1st gen F-body. The hoodline is killer and the best part of the driving experience for me.

I also like the subtle "blade effect" the fenders have from the driver's seat. You can't really notice it from the outside, but when sitting in it you can really see it.

I don't why everyone is saying the plastics are cheap and hard. Nearly every panel is made from a soft touch plastic material including the door panels. The stitching on the dashboard is a nice luxury oriented touch as well. The only hard plastic parts are the console sides and the side rail panels near the rockers. Far different than the plastics used in prior generations like the 3rd gen F-body and the C4 Corvette. If you wanted hard plastics to complain about, those cars had it in spades. lol!
mikedog_66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 08:40 PM   #12
zandron263

Drives: 2011 2LT RS IOM Convertible
I like the interior in my Camaro. It's comfortable when I drive it and the quality is acceptable for the type of car it is and what I paid for it when it was new. I just bought a 2015 Silverado High Country crew cab about a month ago. The interior in that is way nicer and has many more options than the Camaro but like a Denali it's a premium package that cost a lot more than the Camaro did so you would expect it to be nicer.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:43 PM   #13
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
I like the interior of mine fine, build wise. But being that all my previous vehicles were mid 90's GM trucks I have low expectations lol. That being said I prefer the inside of my friends 2012 Mustang, and in general feel those (and the 2015+ S550 Mustangs) as well as the 2015+ Challengers have nicer interiors.
SimpleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 09:32 PM   #14
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
black '13 2SS 1LE interior:

Build wise, no complaints there, it's like a tank.

"Feel" of the interior to my fingers, frankly in a muscle car, unlike that new MotorTrend host who sees it differently, I honestly I couldn't care less how it feels when I touch the console plastic

Out of the box in looks, yes it needs work. IMHO, the silver/grey plastic trim kills it.

Painted everything black, added brighter red door ABL, added dash ABL.

Conclusion: Stock interior needs work, but customizing it, like repainting the console smooth paint, etc is a breeze on this car, unlike other cars. This interior was meant to be custom. After the interior mods, best looking interior at night ever, I love it , as for in the daytime, unlike before, now it's OK.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote