Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-29-2015, 03:04 PM   #1
Shin Diesel

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Rotor Issue

So follow up on my last thread.
Vibration was getting stronger everytime i hit the brake on the freeway. I decided to take it to the dealership.
They said i need to replace all the rotors (front/back) due to worn out.
But only after 20000 miles? and he explained, it all depends how you drive your car. I have never done tracks or anything crazy. this is my daily car.
Is it possible that the rotors were defective? Anyone has any information, how i can claim this to chevy?

thank you
Shin Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:37 PM   #2
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Did you soft peddle them a lot, if so they will get build up that once the rotor gets hot they will pulsate, but will appear ok when they are cool..
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:55 PM   #3
Shin Diesel

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
Did you soft peddle them a lot, if so they will get build up that once the rotor gets hot they will pulsate, but will appear ok when they are cool..
what's soft peddle?
Shin Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:55 PM   #4
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Diesel View Post
what's soft peddle?
Every now and then you need to stand on them to clean up any material or rust on the rotors. if you don't the sections that build up will grab the brake pad when braking thus pulsation. It can get so bad you will need to replace them since you cant cut the ZL1's. I guess if you know what you are doing you could attempt to sand them out..

The other cause my be if someone excessively tighten the lug nuts and over time you did warp the rotor..
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:50 PM   #5
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Find an open stretch of road where you can accelerate up to 70 mph safely and without getting a ticket. When able to, press hard on the pedal to the point just before you activate the ABS. The trick is to get the wheels and tires to bite hard but not lock up. Bring the car down to 35-40 mph and then accelerate back up to 70, and repeat again at least 6 times. After finishing the procedure continue driving at normal highway speeds to cool the rotors down (seasoning the rotors) for 15 mins and avoid braking heavily until cooled. The car will smell like brake material burned, but is necessary to bed the brake pads properly.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:53 PM   #6
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
Find an open stretch of road where you can accelerate up to 70 mph stand on the pedal to the point just before you activate the ABS. The trick is to get the wheels and tires to bite hard but not lock up. When at 40 mph accelerate back up to speed and repeat again at least 6 times. After finishing the procedure continue driving at normal highway speeds to cool the rotors down (seasoning the rotors) for 15 mins and avoid braking heavily until cooled. The car will smell like brake material burned, but is necessary to bed the brake pads properly.
I am not sure he has enough pad to go through this bedding process. It would be good to see them. Maybe the OP will post some pictures of his rotors and pads?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:55 PM   #7
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
I am not sure he has enough pad to go through this bedding process. It would be good to see them. Maybe the OP will post some pictures of his rotors and pads?
True, I shouldn't assume thanks Pete!
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:46 PM   #8
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
Every now and then you need to stand on them to clean up any material or rust on the rotors. if you don't the sections that build up will grab the brake pad when braking thus pulsation. It can get so bad you will need to replace them since you cant cut the ZL1's. I guess if you know what you are doing you could attempt to sand them out..

The other cause my be if someone excessively tighten the lug nuts and over time you did warp the rotor..
Could the rotors be warped by washing the car right after a long drive , rotors got hot , and one uses a garden house to shoot water into the wheels /brakes and the rotors get a lot of cold water while they are hot , and boooom , the rotors get warped
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:55 PM   #9
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
Could the rotors be warped by washing the car right after a long drive , rotors got hot , and one uses a garden house to shoot water into the wheels /brakes and the rotors get a lot of cold water while they are hot , and boooom , the rotors get warped
Warped rotors and other myths... http://stoptech.com/technical-suppor...nd-other-myths
Old 05-30-2015, 10:57 AM   #10
Jetcop20
Jetcop20

Drives: '13 ZL1 A6
YES

Daily driver could easily have BUGGERED rotors after 20000 miles
Jetcop20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:19 PM   #11
seouljah817

Drives: 2013 camaro zl1
unfortunately i am in the same boat as Shin Diesel. i have about 32k miles and I'm getting good amount of vibration from the steering wheel when braking. :( Can the zl1 rotors be resurfaced?
seouljah817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:38 PM   #12
JusticePete

can and should are different. If you drive your zl1 like you stole it, if your track your zielone you should not resurface the rotors.