Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-07-2014, 11:36 AM   #1
HAMBO

Drives: Supercharged 2013 AGM 2SS/RS
Magnaflow 3" catback; reviews?

Hi everyone,

Thinking of finally biting the bullet to dish out the cash for an SC (probably maggie or slp) and a new exhaust. Was leaning towards a magnaflow catback with a 3" pipe and was wondering if anyone had an reviews / experiences? Sound good? Unfortunately in CA LT's aren't an option, so any reviews of just the catback w or w/o an SC would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
SLP TVS2300, Edge CAI, 3" Magnaflow catback, BC Racing BR series coilovers, HRE FF15's (20x10 square) with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's, GM STB, BMR front and rear sway bars and toe links, Prothane subframe bushings and front control arm inserts, JDP rear upper control arm bushings, Elite Engineering catch can. Tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.
1967 Bolero Red 396 SS/RS Convertible
HAMBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:45 AM   #2
ClawSS
High-tech Redneck

Drives: '10 CGM SS, '02 2500HD, '09 300SRT8
stock L99 with AFM delete, no CAI, stock manifolds & stock cats running full 3" Magnaflow (not reduced at cats...straight 3")

D-E-E-P rumble at idle...makes your eardrums shake. Drone around 1500-1850 under moderate to heavy load (like up a hill on cruise) in 6th; goes away after 2000 rpm. Decent WOT sound, but would be much better served with turbos or headers. My vote will be turbos.

2010 CGM L99 2SS/RS - GPI SS3 VVT, BTR DoD Delete, Circle D 4c, BTR springs, Katech C5R Timing Chain, MRR-228 315/275, CAI, Elite catch-can, TSP 1 7/8" Headers + offroad pipes, Magnaflow 3", Pfadt springs, BMR LCAs, toelinks, trailing arms, cradle bushings, & sway bars w/ endlinks, Vitesse paddles, heritage grille, and an eBay splitter. Power upgrades by Race Proven Perf.; Tuning by ShorTuning.
ClawSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:46 AM   #3
e7lek

Drives: Camaro SS
I had a magnaflow universal muffler welded in before i got the flowmaster outlaw, it sucked. barely any sound, didnt even sound good. What you are talking about might differ but after that i sworn off magnaflow, id say go with something like corsa or SW
e7lek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:20 AM   #4
byrosol
Thunderclap

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IBM (LS3)
I'm pleased with Magnaflow, I did alot of research before hand to see which exhaust fit my needs.

Here is a vid

- 20% tint
- Spyder CCFL Halo Projector Headlights
- Barton Pistol Grip Shifter
- Bumblebee custom stripe kit
byrosol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:15 AM   #5
ripcard
INJACC

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM/IO 6M
I've had the Magnaflow 3" catback (16483) on my SS for four years now. Plenty loud (for me) when you get on it but a nice low rumble if putting through a quiet neighborhood. No drone whatsoever on my LS3. Installed it myself so I can speak to ease of installment and quality of fitment.

To be honest, I've not heard another 5th gen catback that I like better. It seems to have the lowest tone of them all. Not sure if that is a function of the 3" tubing or the mufflers.

Putting on Pfadt Tri-Y headers with high flow cats as soon as the car comes out of storage so I'm a little worried that the sound will change away from what I like. Will know soon.
Pedders Xa Coilovers & Sways w/Fe4, Pfadt Rear Trailing Arms & Tie Rods, Forgestar CF5s, ZL1 Brakes, 1LE 3.91 Diff, Pedders Cradle Bushings, MGW STS, BTR Stage II Cam, Fluidampr U/D Pulley, Performance Redline Dyno Tune, CAI & Apex Scoop, Pfadt Tri-Y Headers w/HF Cats, Magnaflow 3" Cat Back, RX Catch Can, VMax TB, Billet Tunnel Brace, SRP Pedals, Skip Shift, Seibon CF Hood & ST Trunk, 1LE Splitter, ZL1 Rockers & Diffuser, Heritage Grill, F & R Sparks "SS" badges, Billet Door Handles, Tint, Technostalgia Tail Lights, AAC Side Markers, BlackVue dash cam and my favourite accessory...Litho #163.
ripcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:55 AM   #6
HAMBO

Drives: Supercharged 2013 AGM 2SS/RS
Interesting feedback, thanks! Other than e7lek feedback seems pretty positive.

Any other reviews?
SLP TVS2300, Edge CAI, 3" Magnaflow catback, BC Racing BR series coilovers, HRE FF15's (20x10 square) with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's, GM STB, BMR front and rear sway bars and toe links, Prothane subframe bushings and front control arm inserts, JDP rear upper control arm bushings, Elite Engineering catch can. Tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.
1967 Bolero Red 396 SS/RS Convertible
HAMBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:35 PM   #7
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
It's probably going to be a little on the quiet side if you're running the stock cats. With some HF cats it's a great exhaust IMO. I've had my setup for about 3.5 yrs now and would do it all over again....but that's with LT headers and HF cats.

If you have to keep the OEM cats then you might just look into doing a muffler delete and Magnaflow resonated x-pipe. That's effectively their 2.5" comp system. You can get it all done for around $300-$350.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:30 PM   #8
Splat

Drives: 2012 1SS M6 IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcard View Post
I've had the Magnaflow 3" catback (16483) on my SS for four years now. Plenty loud (for me) when you get on it but a nice low rumble if putting through a quiet neighborhood. No drone whatsoever on my LS3. Installed it myself so I can speak to ease of installment and quality of fitment.

To be honest, I've not heard another 5th gen catback that I like better. It seems to have the lowest tone of them all. Not sure if that is a function of the 3" tubing or the mufflers.

Putting on Pfadt Tri-Y headers with high flow cats as soon as the car comes out of storage so I'm a little worried that the sound will change away from what I like. Will know soon.

This is the same exhaust on my SS, the sound was nice for the first month, but when I put my LTH on, it really woke up the sound.
Mods: LSA Supercharger, 2.55 Pulley, Custom Boost Cam, ARH LTH 1 7/8, HFC, 3' Magnaflow Exhaust, JLT CAI, Elite CC V2, BO White Stage 2 TB, GM 3.91 Gears, DSS CF Driveshaft, BMR Bushing Kit.... . Tuned by JTM Motorsports 540 Hp 550Tq on 9PSI

Axles, Monster Clutch, Hotchkis TVS Track Pack kit.......For 2018.
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:03 PM   #9
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
This is the same exhaust on my SS, the sound was nice for the first month, but when I put my LTH on, it really woke up the sound.
do you have any youtube videos of your car? id like to see/hear it

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote