Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 02-14-2014, 07:50 PM   #1
Camaro RS

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro 1LT RS
4 wheel drive for winter car

I'm moving and my new house is on a back road so I'm thinking I will need something 4 wheel drive for the winters, especially after yesterday's snow. Anyone have any advice on a good SUV or truck? I don't want to spend a lot as I will drive the Camaro as often as I can.
Camaro RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:58 PM   #2
LikaRokBowTie

Drives: 221SS1LE
Well I watched a video today of a Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid pulling a UPS truck up a slight incline and a few others along the way in NC.So that or a Jeep seems like great options,my new neighbor has been leaving his house in a Jeep 4 door and didn't seem to have any problems,and we have a hill to go up!
LikaRokBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:01 PM   #3
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
I have a V-6 Olds Alero that will go anywhere. Seriously this front wheel drive car has great traction on just plain jane all season tires. Dependable as all get out. Can grab one with ~150K for $2K. FYI, I run GMax all season on my SS and get along fairly well too. If you are running 20 inch offset rims with standard Pirellis consider Gmax for winter driving on your RS.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:08 PM   #4
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
For many people AWD is over kill imo. Front wheel drive with a good set of winter tires is all you need. My wife drives a RWD charger in Canada with 0 issue's because of a proper winter/tire set up.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:21 PM   #5
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
What are you looking to spend? Are you willing to maintenance yourself?

Weigh the options, do you want a truck you can haul stuff in, or do you just want something with 4wd?
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:57 PM   #6
Unrulie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Cyber Grey
4wd is over rated. I drive a 2wd Silverado for the past 15 years, live in Michigan and have had over 70 inches of snow this season. Go any were any time with no problems.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:14 PM   #7
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
I recently picked up a really clean 2001 Oldsmobile Bravada for $2500. No rust on my example, and I put on a good set of AT tires. The AWD does great. Super reliable as it's the Vortech 4.3 (which is a 350 with 2 cylinders chopped off it) and 4L60 transmission. Does great in snow, and it's old enough that I don't really care too much about keeping it clean. Interior is nice as they all have leather and shouldn't be overly worn out unless they really have 150k miles of "IDGAF" on them. You can tow with it quite easily if you have to, and there is tons of space in it also.

If a car is more your thing - pick up an older Subaru. 150k miles? No problem. 200k miles? Again, no problem. Seriously. I've seen many many old Impreza and Legacy models with over a quarter million miles.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:27 PM   #8
Truck Norris
Thread Mover

Drives: a Monte Carlo
I recommend Subaru, I live in snow country and my wifes new Legacy performs better on snow covered roads then my 4wd 1 ton Ram on 35's. Unlike Subaru and Range Rover most 4wd's only send power to two maybe three wheels at a time unless you have differential lockers front and rear.

How well do you think a 2wd would perform in these tests?

Old 02-15-2014, 11:14 PM   #9
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
I had to send a month in Washington State one winter for work. We rented a Subaru Outback and a Trailblazer AWD. The outback handled unbelievably in the snow. It put the Trailblazer to shame. You should be able to get a used one pretty cheap. The also get really good MPG for an AWD.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:44 PM   #10
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Nissan Murano would be my choice. I've made a living working for a bunch of different manufacturers and driving a lot of different vehicles. Travelling all over Western Canada and through the mountains and over the Coquihalla highway (Highway thru Hell) and the Murano is by far the best AWD I've ever been in. Put on a good set of Winters (I like Blizzaks) and while everyone is slipping and sliding you can pass them doing 80 as safe as driving on dry roads.

Just go test drive one and you'll see what I mean.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:15 AM   #11
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unrulie View Post
4wd is over rated. I drive a 2wd Silverado for the past 15 years, live in Michigan and have had over 70 inches of snow this season. Go any were any time with no problems.
Agree. Good all season/snow tires (with good tread ) and weight over the rear axle is ideal for 2wd snow traction. Easy/thoughtful application of gas pedal is important too.
Sometimes I think 4WD/AWD are people's excuse for their lack of driving skill in inclement weather. 4WD/AWD does have its advantages in some scenarios but people rarely get to that point on public roads (if they drive defensively).

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:53 AM   #12
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
Me and my 4 neighbors share a common access to our individual driveways. We all have 4wd, there are times every winter when 2wd, the best tires and drivers will not make it up a hill you can't get a running start at. Packed snow routinely driven on can get slick, 2wd can work some of the time, do it right and get 4wd. My 03 avalanche z71 has worked out good if your not concerned about gas mileage.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:44 AM   #13
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Picked this up for $1800, its a 5 speed manual. Gets amazing gas mileage and goes up steep inclines covered in snow with no issues.

DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:17 AM   #14
Unrulie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Cyber Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
Agree. Good all season/snow tires (with good tread ) and weight over the rear axle is ideal for 2wd snow traction. Easy/thoughtful application of gas pedal is important too.
Sometimes I think 4WD/AWD are people's excuse for their lack of driving skill in inclement weather. 4WD/AWD does have its advantages in some scenarios but people rarely get to that point on public roads (if they drive defensively).