Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 11-15-2013, 09:59 AM   #1
Tbosco

Drives: Black 2014 2SS, RS, 1LE
Shifting styles

A big part of getting the performance from this car is driving it correctly, curious how some of you are shifting your standard transmissions. Any videos tips or tricks that a rookie could try?
Old 11-15-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
Cookie Monster
Belle Isle

Drives: 2014 1LE

This is my first stick with little practice before hand. It's very fun experimenting on your own, BUT I've always wondered how's drag racing with this car?
Sorry if I jacked your thread

Credit to xVengeancex28
Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
Hello Tbosco,
One thing to remember, this clutch is TIGHT so it can be very snappy and unforgiving.
But are you talking about drag racing or autocross?
If you are talking about autocross, you may want to try "Heel & Toe shifting."
Basically it is reving the engineto synch up the tranny just before a downshift. they make special pedals (The gas pedal has an extra tab on it) to assist with this.

Otherwise, word from Chevy is to NOT slowly apply the clutch as this can lead to excessive heat and warp the clutch, so DUMP IT!!!
Old 11-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Moved to the proper sub forum...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #5
Cookie Monster
Belle Isle

Drives: 2014 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan01 View Post
Hello Tbosco,
One thing to remember, this clutch is TIGHT so it can be very snappy and unforgiving.
But are you talking about drag racing or autocross?
If you are talking about autocross, you may want to try "Heel & Toe shifting."
Basically it is reving the engineto synch up the tranny just before a downshift. they make special pedals (The gas pedal has an extra tab on it) to assist with this.

Otherwise, word from Chevy is to NOT slowly apply the clutch as this can lead to excessive heat and warp the clutch, so DUMP IT!!!
This all great info. So are you saying when getting ready to release the clutch pedal to let the gears engage, DUMP it then, Correct? And I'm assuming that's for aggressive situations like autocross/drag strip right? And not so much regular road driving.
Coming from a straight rookie here

Credit to xVengeancex28
Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #6
RedRaven

Drives: 2012 2SS M6 CRT
I am by no means a professional driver. Any damage incurred is on you. That being said:

Maximum acceleration is a matter of coordinating the left foot and the right hand. Basically, press the clutch at least half-way while jamming from one gear to the next and releasing the clutch again, all in 1/4 second or less, barely lifting the right foot during the operation. Sometimes I don't even lift the throttle. Secret is learning the shift pattern well enough & applying just enough pressure to the right to make it up & over from 2nd to 3rd without missing or hitting the crossover and missing the gear. By the time you get to 5th it's not as big a deal. Run it up close to Redline but don't over-do it. Go over Redline and the PCM will put you back to idle until you take your foot out of it.

First real car: 1968 Malibu, '67 283, Canary yellow
RedRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:25 AM   #7
Draven1327
Socal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/RS (KYORI)
spartan has a great point technique depends on what your trying to achieve. above all don't slip the clutch much. learn where the friction zone is and practice starting the car rollling with just the idle. this will teach you muscle memory and how to listen to the engne. .... Basics

as for performance don't be afraid of taking it to an autox track and getting tips from experienced racers. best way to learn about this car is hands on. racers are a friendly bunch tell them you want to learn and they will happily teach you what you need to know, that's how i learned.

from my experience autox is easier to learn because you take your own pace. drags is just a more "head dive into the deep" approach.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #8
Draven1327
Socal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/RS (KYORI)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaven View Post

Maximum acceleration is a matter of coordinating the left foot and the right hand. Basically, press the clutch at least half-way while jamming from one gear to the next and releasing the clutch again, all in 1/4 second or less, out

what he said lol ... the less time you spend shifting the faster you go. your clutch disengages really close to the top so no need to push it allll the way down. saves time
Old 11-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
Spartan01

Correct. This is from GM, sorry i don't rememebr where exactly though
Old 11-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #10
Spartan01

Draven is right- each car is different. for example i also own a beater 96 integra, which has a loose and sloppy clutch that is very forgiving, yet Eva is very sharp, crisp, snappy and THOROUGHLY UNFORGIVING.
Your best bet is to practice. Also learn how launch control works, and stabilitrack, so you can drive with or without it.

Last edited by Spartan01; 11-18-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Spartan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:17 PM   #11
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS LS3 VR
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan01 View Post
Really? I didn't know that, actually. Not that I ride the clutch that often, but that's still good knowledge. Now, I just have an excuse to drive more aggressively!
AdamEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #12
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbosco View Post
A big part of getting the performance from this car is driving it correctly, curious how some of you are shifting your standard transmissions. Any videos tips or tricks that a rookie could try?
For what kind(s) of driving and what situations?

For general daily driving, what you want to do is keep the engine at an rpm where it is neither struggling (lugging) nor wound out further than necessary for the conditions. There is a bit of judgment involved here, and you'll eventually develop some sort of "feel" for when to shift up or down as appropriate, if you let that happen (hint: it's easier to pick this up if you drive with the radio at low enough volume to hear the engine).

For most driving, you'd like to have your shifts no more than barely noticeable by your passengers.

Still concerning your normal driving, you don't want to slip the clutch excessively, though a little slippage is unavoidable for a normal start from a complete stop. You want to get the clutch fully engaged fairly quickly without bucking before you start calling for lots more power - you may get to the point where you are barely touching the throttle at all as your left foot is coming up.

At autocross, it is unlikely that you'll ever make more than one shift per run, that being 1st to 2nd. Shift briskly but not harshly - you do not want wheelspin happening here because you'll probably need to be turning very soon, which won't work very well if you're trying to catch a spin at the same time.

You can look at a road course track day/HPDE exactly like your daily driving, except that you'll be running the engine at much higher revs, maybe 3000 - 6000 vs something like 1500 - 3000 for normal street driving. Rev-matching your downshifts will become a lot more important.

I'll defer to the drag racers for hints involving that activity. But no matter how you work it here, there will be harsher impact loading on the entire powertrain, so it's best to save these techniques for the dragstrip.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote