Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 08-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
jdam1228
Mustang Convert

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Parrot Asteroid Smart (Android Head Unit) Review

First post on here, I've been lurking for a while, decided to contribute a little something. As with many of you, I was very sick of the monstrosity that Chevy calls a Head unit/HVAC control. I'd shopped around a while (a LOT actually) and finally found something that appealed to my nerd side and my desire for a feature heavy head unit.

Enter the Parrot Asteroid Smart. This is an android powered unit that works just like a Nexus 7 or any other android tablet. It's beautiful, it's fast and responsive, and it can run Torque on your dash. Huge selling point for me.

Pros-
+Beautiful, easily customized display
+Very fast response (no delay changing screens)
+It made my BA system sound way better
+Has Wifi and can run Facebook and (when rooted) gmail, google maps, yelp, and most other Android apps. Set up your phone to send it internet or hook it up to your phone's hotspot for wifi on the go.
+TORQUE (need I say more). https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...l.torque&hl=en
+Touch screen controls: listening to music, just swipe side to side to change the song, up and down to change the volume
+The included navigation is actually really good. And the stock voice can be changed to sound like a British woman. (I think I'm in love with her)
+The backup cam I bought integrated seamlessly and works like a charm.
+PRICE!!! Unlike similar units, that will run you $700-$900 the Parrot is only $450 (Amazon). Crutchfield will give you half off the Metra kit if you order it with the Parrot.
+Integrates with the Metra dash kit with no problems.
+Downloads all album art from media and integrates seamlessly with my Galaxy S4
+Videos play amazingly well, youtube plays great videos, importing videos from thumb drive or SD card is simple.
+There are 4 usb ports and a micro usb port for development (for you fellow super nerds).
+I hate voice recognition stuff, I just feel stupid talking to my devices, but the system on here is perfect. Parrot already made award winning voice recognition software, and this is no different. Leaps and bounds better than my old Pioneer AVIC.

Cons:
-This has not yet been integrated with our steering wheel controls. VERY annoying to me, it's currently being worked on, and there should be a solution forthcoming, but as of now my steering wheel controls are useless.
-There's no physical volume knob, if you're listening to music and in a different app you have to tap a volume control and slide the slider. Not the end of the world.
-The Parrot app store is awful, you pretty much have to side load any app you want (not a huge issue, but it's a little annoying) If you root it you can get the entire google play store
-Bootup and shutdown time are a little longer than other head units, but it's not more than 30 seconds.

Comments:
~there is no DVD/CD player. Everything has to be digital. Not an issue for me, some of you might have an issue with this
~the GPS has a small module that has to be placed on the dash it's like 1"x2" but it does sit there on the dash.
~I wired the ipod hookup to my glovebox. I still haven't figured out the best place to put the USB connection, right now I have it under my center console coming out under the trim by the cup holders. Any ideas on where to put that would be appreciated.
~I was able to save the line in jack and the usb port for power inside my console.
~Not a fan of the metra kit. I nicked it putting this thing in, the paint on it is really shitty. I wish I would have painted it or plasti-dipped it before I put it in.

Overall I'm extremely happy, I would buy this again in a second. I will post pictures of it tonight.

Previous Cars:
-'09 Roush 427R Supercharged Mustang
-'86 Corvette Z51
-'85 Camaro SS
jdam1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #2
GroundPilot

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS "Bridgette"
Pics?
GroundPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
jdam1228
Mustang Convert

Here are some I quickly took on my broken phone..... Sorry for the quality

Previous Cars:
-'86 Corvette Z51
-'85 Camaro SS

Last edited by jdam1228; 08-02-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #4
Dtrimpi87
Banned

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 & 2011 1LT/RS
Very interested. I love Android.
Dtrimpi87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #5
WarMachineZL1
War Machine

Drives: 2012 Ashen Grey ZL1 #00012
There is no radio receiver in this device. It can play digital (ipod, Iphone, etc) or internet radio stations (if it is connected to WiFi), but no traditional AM or FM receiver in this unit.

I don't listen to the radio at all, so this wouldn't be an issue for me but it might be for some.
WarMachineZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
jdam1228
Mustang Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMachineZL1 View Post
There is no radio receiver in this device. It can play digital (ipod, Iphone, etc) or internet radio stations (if it is connected to WiFi), but no traditional AM or FM receiver in this unit.

I don't listen to the radio at all, so this wouldn't be an issue for me but it might be for some.
That may have been something in the older models, but mine has full radio functionality. I don't believe it has HD radio, but my radio works great. I don't know if it interfaces with Sirius or XM however. I'm inclined to believe it doesn't.

Previous Cars:
-'86 Corvette Z51
-'85 Camaro SS
Old 08-02-2013, 11:17 PM   #7
Dtrimpi87
Banned

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 & 2011 1LT/RS
That looks awesome man. I may have to check into that.
Dtrimpi87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:52 PM   #8
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
You should make a video and post it up. Always interested to see what other people are putting into their cars.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #9
Double D Mods

Drives: 2012 Grand Sport Convertible Vette
These are very nice radios. We have been selling a lot of these Parrot units for customers lately.
Double D Mods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #10
jdam1228
Mustang Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D Mods View Post
These are very nice radios. We have been selling a lot of these Parrot units for customers lately.
Have you had any success with a steering wheel control system for it on the Camaro? Does the Axxess one work?

Previous Cars:
-'86 Corvette Z51
-'85 Camaro SS
Old 08-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #11
Double D Mods

Drives: 2012 Grand Sport Convertible Vette
We have not personally installed one yet in a Camaro but have in Plenty of Corvettes.
As long as connected correctly I see no reason why it will not work just like any other radio.
I have 6 of these radios instock as well for those interested. Always best to call me or PM for best deals
Double D Mods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:59 AM   #12
bigwayne3000

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
What do you mean rooted? I was watching a YouTube video from Sonic Electronics and the guy said all you had to do was enter in user name/password for whatever email account you wanted and it'd sync up. Also, how does the wifi work? I have a Galaxy S3 with Sprint but I've never used it as a hotspot or tethered it or anything so don't know if it costs anything? I have Sprint. Does the radio just create a Bluetooth connection from itself and that is how the internet is able to be drawn to the radio from the phone?
bigwayne3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #13
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Looks nice, but not my cup of tea.

And you sig is wrong. There wasn't an "SS" in 1985.

You could get a Sport Coupe, Berlinetta, Z28, or IROC-Z.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:13 PM   #14
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
You have to use the GPS antenna on the dash? Doesn't work with stock antenna?

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, asteroid, parrot, review