Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
RJT-SS

Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
Spark plug help

Ok C5 family, need a little feedback. I prepped for my header install today (those O2 sensor plugs retaining pins and the dipstick are a PITA by the way)....anyway, I pulled all my plugs and this is what they look like. Sorry for the bad pic. The ones on the left are the passenger side and the bottom is the front cylinder. The last plug (top) on that side was wet with some unburnt fuel when I took it out. Any thoughts as to whats going on with this or, if it's an issue?

I have 5,200 miles, a CAI, and a ported TB. I have not tuned it yet but will once the headers go in.
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
BAWLZ SS

Drives: '10 Camaro LS3 2SS/RS, 1968 Nova
Im also waiting on some Kooks headers and cats i ordered to get here sometime in the middle of next week. They are already in route to me and will be doing this soon. I hope my plugs are not like that!!

Anyways.... Sorry bro but u cant really see anything wrong with any of the spark plugs from this pic. They all look pretty much the same. Any upclose pics?
Performance- Kooks Headers w/HF cats, ZL1 Corsa exhaust, VMax, CAI Inc. CAI, MGW shifter, RX CC Suspension - KW V3 Coilovers/ Full PFADT & BMR suspension Appearance - ZL1 Fascia/Sides/ Diffuser, AAC Afterburners, RK Sport 3pc Spoiler, SLP Black out Kit
BAWLZ SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
siriusdish

Drives: 2010 Camaro L99
Needs tuned
vararam intake, Vmax TB,Vmax Intake,TSP VVT 3 Cam,TSP underdrive pulley,Yank 3600,TM Cooler,ARH 2", High Flow cats, X-pipe, GM Pro mufflers, RX Catch Can,160 stat, BMR Trailing,toe,Cradle insert, Diff. Bushings, End links, Spohn-LCA's (Touring)Wheel spacer's. 422 rwhp Mustang Dyno http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaFNAhCL7Os
siriusdish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #4
kevin1106

Drives: 2015 ZO6 3LZ Stage 2 A8
needs a tune, Your engine is running rich... Also I'd install a oil catch can...
kevin1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
BAWLZ SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusdish View Post
Needs tuned
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin1106 View Post
needs a tune, Your engine is running rich... Also I'd install a oil catch can...
If i read the OP's #1 post it says that his car is still stock and is bearly getting it ready for when his headers arrive. So when he pulled out the spark plugs and wires that how his spark plu came out. No headers yet and he is still stock. Is this correct?
Performance- Kooks Headers w/HF cats, ZL1 Corsa exhaust, VMax, CAI Inc. CAI, MGW shifter, RX CC Suspension - KW V3 Coilovers/ Full PFADT & BMR suspension Appearance - ZL1 Fascia/Sides/ Diffuser, AAC Afterburners, RK Sport 3pc Spoiler, SLP Black out Kit
Old 04-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #6
BAWLZ SS

The car just probably runs rich on a stock tune to be on the safe side? Sorry i would like to know myself as i will be doing the same soon.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:03 PM   #7
RJT-SS

Yeah.....I'm thinking/hoping the tune will help. I think the CAI might be causing it to run a little rich. Here are a couple of closer shots. First one is the passenger side; next is the driver's. I just changed my plugs in my truck last weekend and they were black like this too but it has a 140,000 miles.

Just wondering if I should put a new set when I install the headers.....?
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #8
BAWLZ SS

Yeah now u can see that the plug on the left is wet. Everyone including my tuner recommended that i switch out the spark plugs and wires to a new set. My car is a 2010 with only 12K on the clock. He recommended the NGK TR6 plugs at 40 degrees gap and i got some MSD wires part # 32819
Old 04-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #9
RJT-SS

Good feedback. I will run this by the tuner before I buy anything. Thanks!
Old 04-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #10
BAWLZ SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT-SS View Post
Good feedback. I will run this by the tuner before I buy anything. Thanks!
No problem!!
Old 04-21-2013, 12:58 AM   #11
siriusdish

Drives: 2010 Camaro L99
Get a catch can! RX Made here!
vararam intake, Vmax TB,Vmax Intake,TSP VVT 3 Cam,TSP underdrive pulley,Yank 3600,TM Cooler,ARH 2", High Flow cats, X-pipe, GM Pro mufflers, RX Catch Can,160 stat, BMR Trailing,toe,Cradle insert, Diff. Bushings, End links, Spohn-LCA's (Touring)Wheel spacer's. 422 rwhp Mustang Dyno http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaFNAhCL7Os
siriusdish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:18 AM   #12
BAWLZ SS

Yes i also recommend for u to get a catch can. SC2150 i belive is a vendor on the forum. I got min from him and its awsome. You'll be supprised of just oil that can will catch.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:08 AM   #13
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAWLZ SS View Post
Yeah now u can see that the plug on the left is wet. Everyone including my tuner recommended that i switch out the spark plugs and wires to a new set. My car is a 2010 with only 12K on the clock. He recommended the NGK TR6 plugs at 40 degrees gap and i got some MSD wires part # 32819
That's not going to make difference. For a stockish car, stock plugs work perfectly fine, as do the stock wires. There are guys running 600+whp FI cars on the stock plugs and wires. Cars are tuned on the rich side from the factory so that's more than likely where the black is coming from. The only way to clean it up is to tune it. It's obviously not causing a problem, it's just running a little rich.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:58 AM   #14
RJT-SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
That's not going to make difference. For a stockish car, stock plugs work perfectly fine, as do the stock wires. There are guys running 600+whp FI cars on the stock plugs and wires. Cars are tuned on the rich side from the factory so that's more than likely where the black is coming from. The only way to clean it up is to tune it. It's obviously not causing a problem, it's just running a little rich.
My RX catch can was on order over a week ago....before I pulled the plugs. I agree with you; that has nothing to do with this. The tune will be coming with the header install. Do you think I should get a new set of stock plugs?

Last edited by RJT-SS; 04-21-2013 at 07:01 AM. Reason: typo
RJT-SS is offline   Reply With Quote