Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #1
Cangt77

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS Manual
Are high flow cats really pointless?

I got my solo high flows installed today with my borla atak (LOVE the sound) but the guy who installed it was telling me that most people dont run cats and they I "wouldent pick up any power gains" with the solo high flows. Is this true? Is there any power difference or gains by adding the high flows or would I get more HP if I deleted the cats? I just want them so I can pass emissions and so the car doesn't smell like rotten eggs lol. Any info would be appreciated!

Last edited by Cangt77; 04-20-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Cangt77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Why would it smell like rotten eggs?

You'll gain a Lil bit, Lt's are the way to go I your looking for powa!
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #3
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
Definitely more gain from a delete but cats are the most restrictive part of your exhaust so any gain in flow through them will gain you more power.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:40 AM   #4
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cangt77 View Post
I got my solo high flows installed today with my borla atak (LOVE the sound) but the guy who installed it was telling me that most people dont run cats and they I "wouldent pick up any power gains" with the solo high flows. Is this true? Is there any power difference or gains by adding the high flows or would I get more HP if I deleted the cats? I just want them so I can pass emissions and it doesn't smell like rotten eggs lol. Any info would be appreciated!
Stop taking advice from that guy. He is pretty much completely wrong on all counts. With modern high flow cats there is essentially no performance advantage to a cat delete. They flow 99.9% as well as straight pipe. On a dyno you might see 1-3 rwhp in the mid RPM range. Going with a cat delete does cost less but the biggest draw back for street driven cars in my opinion is the smell of running without cats. Others are the potential legal issues and the inability to pass emissions testing and inspections. For track cars none of these are a concern so save the money and apply it elsewhere but if your car is used primarily on the street high flow cats are probably your best bet.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:40 AM   #5
Cangt77

Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post

Cats filter out all the unburnt fuel oils/nasty smells I thought
Old 04-20-2013, 09:41 AM   #6
Cangt77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Stop taking advice from that guy. He is pretty much completely wrong on all counts.
Yeah I figured that lol. Thanks man. I think he was just trying to talk up his header/tune/full exhaust system. I didnt buy the cats from him
Old 04-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #7
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Some say they smell the unspent fuel others say that their eyes start crying but I think their cars are tuned kinda rich. I've gotten rid of my cats all the time and never experienced this. On my 4th gen I have lots of over lap but my kids n wife love it anyways. Why? Because RACECAR lol.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #8
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
i wouldnt call it rotten egg smell id call it more of a fuel smell....but it does bother some people. I get it until my cats are warmed up.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:47 AM   #9
POS Dakota

Drives: GMs and Chryslers
I have cats on mine. I mean, if they flow just as good, why not have a cleaner exhaust so you're not killing the guy behind you and drawing a lot of negative attention. I'm no Al Gore nutswinger, believe me. But I just figure why not make good power and run clean too? I feel better about having the cats.
POS Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #10
TECADON

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS/RS
In my experience Apex Chase is right high flow cats and cat delete is not really work the hassle or power. They have come so far in technology that unless you cant afford the extra cost at the moment get the high-flows for the street. Another thing to note I have heard (never tested) some people running high-flows that have been gutted tend to hurt performance as they cause and slow down in velocity and tend to act like a restriction.

Now I do seem to find the smell without cats is more of a fuel smell (think about the smell at the drag-strip), and the smell with cats is more of the rotten egg smell but thats mainly running richer A/F.

Yes its quick...quicker then you think!!!
TECADON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:26 PM   #11
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

Drives: 2010 LS3 2SS
You will pick minimal hp gains by deleting cats. No rotten egg smell, but a heavy fuel smell until she warms up, after that no smell. I got rid of my cats due to boost. Cats and boost no bueno. Think I've heard that somewhere around here before. Lol
Cat delete is free where a high flow cat can be expensive, I do not support paying for high flow cats
LME 416 LS3 shortblock/Callies Compstar 4340 4"crank/Callies 6.125 H beams rods/Wiesco 4.07 forged pistons/Cam Motion custom LS1/LME ported heads /maggie TVS2300/I West 8rib 10%OD /3.2 pulley/OD cog drive/JRE tensioner/ID850 /ADM dual fuel/Kooks LT 1 7/8/magna flow2.5 /cat delete/Roto Fab CAI /MGW short throw /SPEC super twin clutch/G Force built trans,carbon syncro rear shaft upgrade /DSS 9"single CF DS /Strange 3.70/31 spline trutrac/MT DR's/earls oil cooler /tuned KHC

Last edited by Mchlgrrsn; 04-20-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Mchlgrrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #12
2SSRSinBama

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro CGM
yeah the smell of no cats is a nuisance, one of the reason i'm actually looking to buy some 200-cell high flow cats from MBS and have them welded in, lol... my g/f says the car gives her a headache at red lights, and it is a strong smell, even I have to agree

2010 Camaro SS L99... has a few mods
2SSRSinBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #13
ebaugh1990
Permagrin since 2/11/13

Drives: '13 Camaro 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post

I agree, my car without cats doesn't smell like rotten eggs, it smells like high octane Bad@ssness emitted through a natural speaker producing "Muscle Car Music"

Also, when sitting at red lights I dont smell the exhaust at all. Not until I get behind my car, then I smell a faint scent of Burnt gas is all
JBA 3" CAT-BACK Model 40-3114
Cold Air Inductions intake (near-chrome)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o-6g...ujjgV9wZo9jnXw

Quote:
I agree, my car without cats doesn't smell like rotten eggs, it smells like high octane Bad@ssness emitted through a natural speaker producing "Muscle Car Music"
ebaugh1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #14
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebaugh1990 View Post

Also, when sitting at red lights I dont smell the exhaust at all. Not until I get behind my car, then I smell a faint scent of Burnt gas is all
Damn straight!!!