#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-19-2013, 12:09 AM   #1
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
Possible c7 power figures.......

http://wot.motortrend.com/we-hear-ne...#axzz2LIDAWpjU

Don't know how true it is but it sure would be nice as long as the price doesn't swell along with the horse power.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:43 AM   #2
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTY99Z28 View Post
http://wot.motortrend.com/we-hear-ne...#axzz2LIDAWpjU

Don't know how true it is but it sure would be nice as long as the price doesn't swell along with the horse power.

600+ HP from a NA 7 liter might be hard to get while staying legal and reliable.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:47 AM   #3
sspolo

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1LE
One day I will get a ZR1. Even if I get it before buying a house. Mark my words!
Although, I thought they were going to remove the 7 liter engine.
sspolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:23 AM   #4
PeeBee

Drives: "Bee" ZL585, Dark Blue Suburban.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
600+ HP from a NA 7 liter might be hard to get while staying legal and reliable.

The current LS7 gets 550hp easily in some other cars (they use it i.e. for engine conversions in TVRs in England, and just a different exhaust gets it at that level of hp).
PeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:12 AM   #5
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
I doubt the ls7 will still be in the line up but if so could you imagine a 575-600hp zo6 let alone the zr1. That would really give the competition a reason to run and hide.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
The current LS7 gets 550hp easily in some other cars (they use it i.e. for engine conversions in TVRs in England, and just a different exhaust gets it at that level of hp).
I'm sure it can but it would have to meet SMOG and noise regulations. If those regulations weren't in place here in the US, I'm sure the LS7 would put out way more power.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Direct injection and VVT can both help with emissions.

Reliability won't be that big of an issue, it would only be about 85 hp/L. GM sells a few million naturally aspirated engines with that sort of specific output each year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
Different countries have different rules & regulations. Plus, the aftermarket has a different set of rules to follow than the original equipment manufacturers do.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #8
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Also just read in April's Motor Trend that they are working on a "low cost" Corvette with a 5.3L V-8 for 2015. They were saying it would have a different front and rear fascia from the Stingray. Pretty cool if it's true cause I would love to see a 5.3L in the sixth gen Camaro.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #9
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
Also just read in April's Motor Trend that they are working on a "low cost" Corvette with a 5.3L V-8 for 2015. They were saying it would have a different front and rear fascia from the Stingray. Pretty cool if it's true cause I would love to see a 5.3L in the sixth gen Camaro.
I don't see it happening. Corvette production is limited to about 40k units a year. Thats all they can push through the plant, unless they are drastically improving the build-efficiency as they re-tool for the C7. The Stingray shouldn't have much of an issue maintaining a global demand of 40k units per year though most of its life, which is rumoured to be fairly short. If it can do that, then there is no business case in selling a less expensive C7 unless they cut cost faster than they cut the price (which is very hard to do).

But beyond that, what does Corvette having, or not having, a 5.3 have to do with the Camaro getting one (or not)? If they want to put one in the Camaro, they'll do it. Afterall, they developed the L99 as a Camaro only engine.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 02-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #10
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Direct injection and VVT can both help with emissions.

Reliability won't be that big of an issue, it would only be about 85 hp/L. GM sells a few million naturally aspirated engines with that sort of specific output each year.

Different countries have different rules & regulations. Plus, the aftermarket has a different set of rules to follow than the original equipment manufacturers do.
Which GM engines put out 85 HP/L? Are they push rod or DOHC?
Old 02-23-2013, 09:54 PM   #11
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Which GM engines put out 85 HP/L? Are they push rod or DOHC?
Nearly all the variants in the High-feature V6 family (3.0L and 3.6L) are between 80 and 90 hp/L, and there are a few in the Ecotec 4 cylinder family are up in that range as well. I don't know the sales numbers for each engine, but I don't think its unreasonable to assume that at least 1 in 5 GM vehicles, worldwide, has one of those engines.

As far as I know, all these engines are DOHC, and any that aren't would be SOHC not push rod. But the placement & number of cams (to my knowledge) doesn't impact engine longevity

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 02-23-2013, 11:30 PM   #12
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
But beyond that, what does Corvette having, or not having, a 5.3 have to do with the Camaro getting one (or not)? If they want to put one in the Camaro, they'll do it. Afterall, they developed the L99 as a Camaro only engine.
I was just saying in general because the Camaro has shared powertrains with the Corvette since 1967.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:25 AM   #13
Bhobbs

Quote:
Nearly all the variants in the High-feature V6 family (3.0L and 3.6L) are between 80 and 90 hp/L, and there are a few in the Ecotec 4 cylinder family are up in that range as well. I don't know the sales numbers for each engine, but I don't think its unreasonable to assume that at least 1 in 5 GM vehicles, worldwide, has one of those engines.

As far as I know, all these engines are DOHC, and any that aren't would be SOHC not push rod. But the placement & number of cams (to my knowledge) doesn't impact engine longevity
I'm not saying an overhead cam engine is more reliable or longer living than a cam in block engine, just that they put out more horsepower per liter than a cam in block engine.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:41 PM   #14
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
I'm not saying an overhead cam engine is more reliable or longer living than a cam in block engine, just that they put out more horsepower per liter than a cam in block engine.
Oh ok, I thought your 2nd comment was still related the 1st one I responded to, where you talked about 600 hp from a 7L being difficult to do legally & reliably.

Camaro Fest sub-forum