Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 08-30-2012, 08:02 AM   #1
06_warrior

Drives: 2012 1SS LS3 M6 black on black :)
Having problems with shifting.

I've had my 12' SS for over a month and it doesn't seem to shift from gear to gear very smoothly. It does shift nice sometimes but alot of the times it always feels like it is hanging up (if you want to call it that). More than not is shifts crappy. It feels like it's done this ever since i picked it up brand new 7/20. It's pretty frustrating on a new vehicle. :(

I put the hurst shifter in thinking it might be better but really it's not. I'm thinking maybe my next step will be synthetic transmission oil?

Has anyone else experienced this?
06_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Have you tried changing the clutch fluid?
Old 08-30-2012, 08:21 AM   #3
06_warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Have you tried changing the clutch fluid?
No but i think i will when i change out the tranny fluid. I'll probably change out the rear diff. fluid too. From what i hear guys that are changing out the rear diff. fluid are finding lots of metal shavings/flakes in the fluid.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_warrior View Post
No but i think i will when i change out the tranny fluid. I'll probably change out the rear diff. fluid too. From what i hear guys that are changing out the rear diff. fluid are finding lots of metal shavings/flakes in the fluid.
I changed mine at 1500 miles and it was filthy. Shifting greatly improved after replacing it with Royal Purple
Old 08-30-2012, 08:27 AM   #5
06_warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
I changed mine at 1500 miles and it was filthy. Shifting greatly improved after replacing it with Royal Purple
Nice. I will be changing out the trans. fluid this weekend. Is changing out the clutch fluid easy? Do you have to bleed any air out of the system? I'm asking because i never changed out clutch fluid before but if it's a fairly easy job i'll try it.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
The Stig

Our clutch fluid reservoir is combined with our brake fluid reservoir. So it's the same concept as bleeding your brakes.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #7
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
I've found that our cars need about 20 minutes of driving or so for the trans to be fully warmed up. After that mine's like butter. I have the OEM Hurst but I don't think the shifter's the issue.

So if you have a short jaunt to work it may never really get warmed up to ideal operating temp.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:21 PM   #8
06_warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaram View Post
I've found that our cars need about 20 minutes of driving or so for the trans to be fully warmed up. After that mine's like butter. I have the OEM Hurst but I don't think the shifter's the issue.

So if you have a short jaunt to work it may never really get warmed up to ideal operating temp.
My commute to work is 68 miles one way. It never really shifts smooth even when i'm in the town i work at 60 miles from my house. I get some shifts that are great and i'm almost surprised when it does. It's very unpredictable and frustrating. I've decided to get this when the money comes up http://www.mgwltd.com/camaro2010_sho..._shifter.shtml This and change out the trans. fluid and clutch fluid with synthetic. After all these steps i'll find out how smooth it will shift
Old 09-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #9
ss/rs-matt

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Change your clutch fluid. Your dealer should do it for you under warranty.

ss/rs-matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:40 PM   #10
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_warrior View Post
My commute to work is 68 miles one way. It never really shifts smooth even when i'm in the town i work at 60 miles from my house. I get some shifts that are great and i'm almost surprised when it does. It's very unpredictable and frustrating. I've decided to get this when the money comes up http://www.mgwltd.com/camaro2010_sho..._shifter.shtml This and change out the trans. fluid and clutch fluid with synthetic. After all these steps i'll find out how smooth it will shift
That bites. I recently went the route of the GTO clutch reservoir and noticed a slight improvement even when cold (1-2 shift). Used to always have "2 clicks" to second when cold. After I installed the separate reservoir and new fluid just 1 click to second.

This is a cheap mod and may want to consider it. Being this brand new you should take it into the dealer so your concern is documented.