Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
06_warrior

Drives: 2012 1SS LS3 M6 black on black :)
Question on long tube headers.

Looking to do my first exhaust mod on my SS. Wanting to do long tube headers possibly kooks. Question is putting long tube headers on will they fit without any other modifications or pipes?

Thanks for any answers.
06_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Bolt right up. It's an easy job. Just make sure you get the ones that mount to factory connection point (2.5") after the cats.

You will need either hi flow cats or off road pipes.

It's a great upgrade but MAKE SURE YOU GET THE CAR TUNED after. People will tell you that you don't have to. They are only fooling themselves. And yes, it voids the warranty.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
Just hope you're not one of the few who experience rubbing issues with the steering column. I have been working on this for awhile now, but my Kooks rub the steering column during right hand turns.
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
06_warrior

Drives: 2012 1SS LS3 M6 black on black :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCanSS View Post
Bolt right up. It's an easy job. Just make sure you get the ones that mount to factory connection point (2.5") after the cats.

It's a great upgrade but MAKE SURE YOU GET THE CAR TUNED after. People will tell you that you don't have to. They are only fooling themselves. And yes, it voids the warranty.
Thanks didn't know that. Don't want to void my warranty. So what exhaust mod can you do that won't void the warranty? Axle back only or hi-flow cats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Just hope you're not one of the few who experience rubbing issues with the steering column. I have been working on this for awhile now, but my Kooks rub the steering column during right hand turns.
Didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up.
06_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #5
scottyvegas
X SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRSM6 1988 Sportside
Installed Kooks a couple weeks ago = Incredible
MODS: PEDDERS XA COIL OVERS, STAGE 3 CAM, McLEOD CLUTCH, SKIP SHIFT, , HURST SHORT THROW, CAI INTAKE, SCOOP, WASHER RELO KIT, KOOKS HEADERS, KOOKS HI FLOW CATS, CUSTOM TUNE, QTP CUT OUTS, PAINTED STRIPES, PAINTED SS EMBLEMS, PAINTED FIN, PAINTED REAR TAIL LAMP BEZELS, HERITAGE GRILLE, DUCTS, AAC STUFF, BAER ROTORS, HAWK PADS, FUZZY DICE, LASER BEAMS, DISCO BALL, SYBIAN & 3 CHROME VALVE STEM CAPS................
scottyvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
mntgome1

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Hey wheelman what happens when this occurs. I have had a slight problem with turns. My car feels like it bogs down until I straighten the wheel. I thought it was the fact that I went to heavier 22's....
Old 08-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #7
Dtrimpi87
Banned

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 & 2011 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_warrior View Post
Thanks didn't know that. Don't want to void my warranty. So what exhaust mod can you do that won't void the warranty? Axle back only or hi-flow cats?

Didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up.
The long tubes really only void your warranty because of the tune. Although, some dealers won't even touch your car if you have long tubes and no tune.

You can change out anything behind the cats without having to worry about warranty. So get any catback or axleback that you want.

Your other option could be Shorty headers from JBA or ARH. The will bolt up to the factory down pipe. They don't perform near as well as long tubes but they do allow the engine to breath better and will increase your exhaust volume.
Dtrimpi87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #8
J-ROD-210

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS RJT A6
Headers will get you a few extra horses, but will void your warranty with a tune.They do just bolt on to your existing exhaust.Changing your mufflers or deleting them just pretty much changes your exhaust tone.I have TSP longtubes with no issues.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #9
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
I have Kooks on my SS and they are awesomely easy to install. I did that job by myself in about 4 hours in my garage on jack stands. I had these same headers on my 2010 and when I traded for an LS3, I took them off the old car and put them on the new one. So, that's twice installed. I had no clearance issues with the steering linkage, but even if you did, it's not that hard to disconnect.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #10
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntgome1 View Post
Hey wheelman what happens when this occurs. I have had a slight problem with turns. My car feels like it bogs down until I straighten the wheel. I thought it was the fact that I went to heavier 22's....
I think that might be due to your wheels, bud. Automatic or Manual transmission?

It's not the same feeling as headers rubbing the steering column, though. I feel a slight vibration in my steering wheel, and can actually hear a slight grind from the contact.
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:01 PM   #11
Chief Bob

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 SIM CTF Car M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyvegas View Post
Installed Kooks a couple weeks ago = Incredible
+1

Chief Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:06 PM   #12
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
I've seen a select few with rubbing issues. The headers were returned and the new ones were fine. They are VERY close so any variance in construction could rub. My SW 1-7/8" had almost an inch between.

Like was said, anything behind the factory clamp after the cats and you're good to go.

Lots of options out there. Be minded, a catback or axle back is only good for sound. No increase in power until you do CAI, headers, cats and tune. But if you're looking for a little aggressiveness, exhaust will do the trick!

Lots to choose from. Good luck
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #13
mntgome1

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS/RS
Quote:
I think that might be due to your wheels, bud. Automatic or Manual transmission?

It's not the same feeling as headers rubbing the steering column, though. I feel a slight vibration in my steering wheel, and can actually hear a slight grind from the contact.
Yeah thats what I figured. It doesn't bother as much anymore. I got used to it like the sound of my headers bouncing off my garage walls and cars as I pass them.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #14
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCanSS View Post

I still haven't seen any REAL reason to get a tune after. My dealer doesn't care if I have lt's as long as I don't get a tune.
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote