Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 07-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
attymf

Drives: 2017 SS
HP Tune questions

I am debating an HP Tune cause I can get a deal on it but still I am wondering if it is even worth it.

What will the HP tune do as far as HP/TQ, gas mileage, rev limiter, top end limiter etc.

I have the LS3 (manual for those who are not smart) a CAI intake and Corsa Catback.

SS, A8, Procharger, M&T's and stuff...
attymf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
MA2010SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
HP Tuners is a powerful program, if you do not have experience with tuning you could wind up getting frustrated very quickly, do alot of reading and visit the HPTuners website for info. HPT will do what ever you need it to do, there are tons of parameters you can change unlike some hand held units, just mu .02 cents
2010 Camaro SS Whipple SC, CAI Inc Intake, TSP 1 7/8" LT headers no cats, 3" magnaflow exhaust, HPT, RX Catch Can, LSR Toe Rods, LSR Trailing Arms, ALKY Control Meth, McLeod RXT Twin Disc, ZL1 fuel pump, 3.73 ZL1 Differential Kit, BTR PDS Stage 2 Cam, Tuned by SLOWHAWK Performance Bridgewater MA
MA2010SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
i gained around 10HP & 10TQ (peak) 15HP & 25TQ (across the RPM range) with just the tune. removed the speed limiter. eliminated skip shift. removed TQ management (not to include stabili-track/traction control). got my CAI (roto-fab) and still need to retune and plan to be sitting just over 400 by then. its a better option than the canned tunes. mail order tunes are good too but you've got to be careful who your going through. but there are some very reputable tuners/vendors on here that will hook you up with a sweet ass tune via email. if you plan on future mod's, then the tuning and tweaking can be done by you if your willing to venture down that road with HP tuners. plus lots of help on the HP tuners site. you have lots of options available, it really comes down to what you have available. in my opinion...YES, its worth it.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
attymf

Drives: 2017 SS
dealership is gonna tune my car and not void warranty and do it at low cost

SS, A8, Procharger, M&T's and stuff...
attymf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
MA2010SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Great dealer, not many like them around!
2010 Camaro SS Whipple SC, CAI Inc Intake, TSP 1 7/8" LT headers no cats, 3" magnaflow exhaust, HPT, RX Catch Can, LSR Toe Rods, LSR Trailing Arms, ALKY Control Meth, McLeod RXT Twin Disc, ZL1 fuel pump, 3.73 ZL1 Differential Kit, BTR PDS Stage 2 Cam, Tuned by SLOWHAWK Performance Bridgewater MA
MA2010SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #6
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

Drives: indeed
as long as they know what they are doing. make sure you get the .hpt file emailed to you, then you can post it on HPT forums and see what they changed (to verify things were done as promised). If they can't provide you with the file then........
Higgs Boson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:34 AM   #7
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Camaro corvette tuning in Tampa Orlando St. Petersburg

I only use the HP Tuner program. It does everything that's needed. I can even have HP Tuners to write a custom operating system for your vehicle. Then apply a custom tune to your custom operating system. They are the only company that will write an operating system for your car.

Unless your dealership designs alot of tunes, Id be concerned. Just because they may have a good tech, does not mean they are specialized in the tuning platform. They are two very differant worlds.

For those that have HP Tuners, I charge $150.00 for mail order tunes.
www.TampaTuning.com
Phil
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #8
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning View Post
Unless your dealership designs alot of tunes, Id be concerned. Just because they may have a good tech, does not mean they are specialized in the tuning platform. They are two very differant worlds.

Phil
exactly
Old 07-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #9
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning View Post
I only use the HP Tuner program. It does everything that's needed. I can even have HP Tuners to write a custom operating system for your vehicle. Then apply a custom tune to your custom operating system. They are the only company that will write an operating system for your car.

For those that have HP Tuners, I charge $150.00 for mail order tunes.
www.TampaTuning.com
Phil
is that a one time fee or does it also include tweaks/updates?

thanks
Old 07-11-2012, 11:16 PM   #10
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapisok View Post
is that a one time fee or does it also include tweaks/updates?

thanks
It includes tweaks to make the mail order tune better. Updates down the road to your vehicle are not included in the orginal price. you'd have to paid an amount if you like added additional parts. Sometime it takes one review and sometimes it takes a couple. Last week I was designing a tune for a 2012 Z06 Corvette for a shop in the philippines, and it took 4 scans till I liked what I was seeing.

I send you your Tampa Tuning named work tune1 and a HP Tuner scanner Configuration i use on all my cars. You save the configuration to your HP Tuner scanner config folder and pull it up when you plug in and scan.

After you upload the work tune1 to the vehicle, save a 15 minute scan with the powerful scanner I sent to you which includes all the PID I use for dyno and street tuning.

Take the car for a drive with some part throttle, safe WOT, then two minutes of idle time and send the scan back to me for review. Ill make corrections and send it back to you as work tune 2.

Some people call this custom tuning, but I call it having a very good mail order tune work for your car.

If it was a custom tune, Id be plugged into your ECM and have my wideband attached and optimizing the car in front of me starting from scratch and switching the operating system from open loop and closed loop so fueling trims dont interfer with the tuning process. Thats the right way to a true custom tune made for your vehicle.
www.TampaTuning.com
Phil

Last edited by Tampa Tuning; 07-14-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:57 AM   #11
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

sweet...thanks for the info. got the pro tuning suit myself and am trying to learn it...where to start and what to tweak (seems the MAF is where it all begins which makes sense). i've got a baseline tune and 2 additional tunes that got me where i am now by brent at DTP and its good stuff. but i'd like to make the changes as i add to my build. i've found one decent write up so far but a little out dated. HPT forum seems to be lacking as everything is really vague unless you buy the DVD's. at the same time though it seems that a lot of guys are willing to look at logs and help out there. not to take away from your services, but do you have a guide that you go by or a recommendation of where to start (tuning 101 for noobs)? the tune repository is mostly stock tunes so its pointless to compare anything on there.

thanks
Old 07-12-2012, 07:23 AM   #12
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapisok View Post
sweet...thanks for the info. got the pro tuning suit myself and am trying to learn it...where to start and what to tweak (seems the MAF is where it all begins which makes sense). i've got a baseline tune and 2 additional tunes that got me where i am now by brent at DTP and its good stuff. but i'd like to make the changes as i add to my build. i've found one decent write up so far but a little out dated. HPT forum seems to be lacking as everything is really vague unless you buy the DVD's. at the same time though it seems that a lot of guys are willing to look at logs and help out there. not to take away from your services, but do you have a guide that you go by or a recommendation of where to start (tuning 101 for noobs)? the tune repository is mostly stock tunes so its pointless to compare anything on there.

thanks
just go to the HPT forums. all the info you will ever need is there. once you soak it in you will start to understand it and problem solve on your own.

remember, if you are only looking at recent threads you will not get a complete picture. Sometimes the info you need might be 10 years old (or maybe 7 at least) and it isn't discussed anymore because it might be something basic. it is all there though.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #13
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
just go to the HPT forums. all the info you will ever need is there. once you soak it in you will start to understand it and problem solve on your own.

remember, if you are only looking at recent threads you will not get a complete picture. Sometimes the info you need might be 10 years old (or maybe 7 at least) and it isn't discussed anymore because it might be something basic. it is all there though.
right on. yeah, digging through threads that are over 5yrs old with screen shots of tables that don't reflect the current version with "steps to follow" make it frustrating. its like "put the square peg in the square hole" but guess what, there is no square hole. trying to figure out what is relevant and what isn't has me confused too.

i don't expect to become a novice tuner over night but for what i paid, i'd expect the site to be a bit more organized and not have to search for weeks trying to piece info together. personally, i'd rather have information that i could study for 2-3wks so i can understand how it works together from start to finish, not middle to beginning to end.

the more i search the more i learn but its slow and painful...oh well, im not the first one so guess i gotta pay my dues too.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #14
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

keep in mind that hpt and the like do not necessarily know how to tune. they are code crackers. the forum teaches itself, thats why it is like that so any tutorials are from someone who is self taught and takes the time to write it up for free.

there are also books out there too to get you started. once it clicks you will open a door to a whole world of capability.