Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-06-2011, 10:52 AM   #1
The Flash

Drives: Firebird 95, Equinox 05, Camaro 2SS
ZL1 PAINT QUALITY

Is there any word on the paint/clear to be used for the ZL1.

I would expect that it has better quality (meaning least one more coat of paint and two more coats of clear) that our standard CAMAROS.

Just this morning I was, AGAIN, at the detailing/paint shop getting a quote and an appointment to fix another couple of nicks (these ones in the front bumper) from debris falling from a construction truck I encountered in the highway.

O.k., I understand my car is a basic example (2SS) of the line up and as such some areas of manufacturing are skimpier (budget wise) to keep final price at a point.

I would expect/hope however that the upper levels of the model line have improvements in other areas besides performance oriented mechanicals.

I've read the interior of the ZL! will have suede or alcantara in some surfaces.

I'm curious on whether the paint and other exterior fiishings will also be above the standard CAMARO.

Safe driving to you all,

The Flash
Old 09-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
Joebot8484
ZL1 # 1307

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1, 2008 Hummzilla H3
I hope so, I'm looking into a clear bra at the moment though.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #3
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Honestly - I wouldn't expect better quality paint (I'm not suggesting earlier 5th Gens have lesser quality paint either). They'll use the same paint on the panels as the rest of the line. Perhaps, there will be special paint applied to the CF hood insert, but I'm sure Oshawa will not have to paint those anyways. ZL1 will get the same paint, applied the same way, as the rest of the CAMAROs. Hopefully, there will be a specific color or two, but that would be the extent of the paint differences that I would expect.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
IOMZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28 | 2017 Viper ACR Extreme
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flash View Post
Is there any word on the paint/clear to be used for the ZL1.

I would expect that it has better quality (meaning least one more coat of paint and two more coats of clear) that our standard CAMAROS.

Just this morning I was, AGAIN, at the detailing/paint shop getting a quote and an appointment to fix another couple of nicks (these ones in the front bumper) from debris falling from a construction truck I encountered in the highway.

O.k., I understand my car is a basic example (2SS) of the line up and as such some areas of manufacturing are skimpier (budget wise) to keep final price at a point.

I would expect/hope however that the upper levels of the model line have improvements in other areas besides performance oriented mechanicals.

I've read the interior of the ZL! will have suede or alcantara in some surfaces.

I'm curious on whether the paint and other exterior fiishings will also be above the standard CAMARO.

Safe driving to you all,

The Flash
I'm personally hoping for the stripe to be painted on at a minimum. As far as general paint upgrades – I’d say probably not. They'd have to admit the original paint is cheap to begin with and who knows how they’d have to modify the assembly line to do this. I do know there are some new provisions in ZL1 the bodywork around the fenders and ground effects to help deflect rocks from leaving the tires and chipping the paint.
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #5
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Valid points flash... Those little bits of sand and small pebbles can do some serious injury over time. I am wondering if the windshield glass, wipers, etc etc are all upgraded due to higher speeds. I can now see this car getting up into high 50's, which could be hard to reach for many. However it would create a nice "niche" space in the $47k range for a Z28..... just over thinking!
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:11 AM   #6
The Flash

Drives: Firebird 95, Equinox 05, Camaro 2SS
A hard reach indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
Valid points flash... Those little bits of sand and small pebbles can do some serious injury over time. I am wondering if the windshield glass, wipers, etc etc are all upgraded due to higher speeds. I can now see this car getting up into high 50's, which could be hard to reach for many. However it would create a nice "niche" space in the $47k range for a Z28..... just over thinking!
I totally concur. By the look of things this car might very well get into the high 50's (scratching 60 grand).

Like you wrote, that's a hard reach. Its in the price range of a MB E550 coupe (just for the sake of comparison).

At that level the current quality of paint will not fare well with the expectations/efforts of buyers.

This better be addressed soon.

The new worldwide tough economy that is emerging in these weeks will create/reshape a breed of consumers more aware of the value they receive in exchange for their cash, and therefore more demanding.

The Flash
Old 09-06-2011, 11:58 AM   #7
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Yes we should be more demanding.. but sometimes I wonder if GM may be compromising to save money or reduce costs: "lets save a little bit on paint and put it into the engine bay... they won't notice too much on the paint"...

Otherwise, why wouldn't they want to give us the same quality finish BMW, Lexus, etc can deliver on this SPECIAL car. The paint should be special too. Or, let me put it this way.... don't make me Overwax it to make it Equal to other paint jobs that come out standard... And, it does NOT make sense to limit color choices to these mostly solid paints. I would expect higher quality softer metallic choices enter the lineup.
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:19 PM   #8
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Drives: SIM 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebot8484 View Post
I hope so, I'm looking into a clear bra at the moment though.
This will be your best bet and the best money you will ever spend to maintain the finish of your paint.
I seriously doubt the zl1 will have any changes to it's paint or the process different than a normal camaro.

expect nothing, but take everything
liquidsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:50 PM   #9
shockandawe

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
Same paint,it will go down the same line as the rest of the Camaro's .
shockandawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:33 PM   #10
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockandawe View Post
Same paint,it will go down the same line as the rest of the Camaro's .
This. There's no reason to expect special attention on this front.

(Though I still maintain it doesn't need it...)
Old 09-06-2011, 11:05 PM   #11
nardox

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
ZL1 is gonna share the standard paint line like other Camaros, however they might make a few special colors...
nardox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:12 AM   #12
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
Here's hoping for a few special colors.....
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:19 AM   #13
bowtie628
Auto body and paint guy

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
just get the clear bra. i have it and splash guards. 7k miles on my car.. ZERO chips. knock on wood..
Old 09-07-2011, 07:55 AM   #14
IOMZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28 | 2017 Viper ACR Extreme
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie628 View Post
just get the clear bra. i have it and splash guards. 7k miles on my car.. ZERO chips. knock on wood..
Where on the car did you have the clear bra installed? I want to get it but I'm not sure I know all of the vulnerable areas.
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote