Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-01-2011, 08:51 PM   #1
TotallyDavis

Drives: Pontiac Firebird
Talking In anticipation of my 2012 2LT, I went crazy and bought car care stuff; how'd I do?

My dealer says that my 2LT will be here in the next few days, Tuesday or Wednesday at most. As of last night, it was on a rail car a state away.

Well, I went browsing through my local auto stores, dreaming of possibilities and necessities, and came out a hundred dollars poorer, all this in hand:

I've never owned a nice car before, so cleaning and taking care was not my specialty, but I've tried to remember some of the things I've read. That small red tube in the middle is Victory Red touch up paint in case I need some; I saw it hanging on the aisle and grabbed it just in case.

I got car wash, rim cleaner, several types of microfiber towels (from super soft, to soft, to windows, to a sponge), wax and a wax applicator (I've never done that before, so it should be an adventure), leather cleaner, and a hose with a nice multi-adjustable head.

Also, with my order at Camaro mall for a Camaro license plate holder, RS valve stem caps, and a keychain, they better hurry up and get the car here before I spend all my money in anticipation and I can't afford the car anymore!

So, anything you think I messed up, forgot to get?
Old 09-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #2
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
I use Meguiar's Ultimate Detailer for cleaning up Rosie. Great product.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:02 PM   #3
builder11150

Drives: 1987 Trans Am
The bird doesn't count as a nice car?
builder11150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
TotallyDavis

Drives: Pontiac Firebird
The bird was ok at 85,000 miles when I bought it, but it slowly began to fall apart on me over the years, and I didn't want to invest the money to put it back together.

Recently, it got to the point where the windows didn't roll up, the headlights didn't go down, the dash was cracked, the a/c didn't work, + a recent hail storm demolished my tail lights and sideview mirrors, my wife trying to transport bleach in a laundry basket bleached one of my back seats , the speakers buzzed horribly, the brakes had all but failed, the starter was getting worse and worse, it leaked oil so bad it stained anything you parked it over, it overheated, the gas meter worked on a logrithmic scale or something (showed completely full until half a tank, then it showed at half a tank until it had 1/8th of a tank left, and then at a quarter tank, you had about 2 miles to go), plus hail dents, blinkers just stopped working, etc.....

So, no, I wouldn't count it as a nice car, but it did kick off my enthusiasm for GM, and the Camaro/Firebird family.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:24 PM   #5
builder11150

Drives: 1987 Trans Am
Oh wow, sounds like the previous owner didn't take care of it. Anyway, congrats on the new one.

EDIT: dumb spell correction on the iPhone

Last edited by builder11150; 09-01-2011 at 09:35 PM.
builder11150 is offline   Reply With Quote