Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 10-29-2015, 06:19 AM   #15
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer70 View Post
An aftermarket intake will most likely require this to be removed. The bigger question is, if removed is it connected to any smog or sensors etc...
I would imagine an aftermarket intake would just require the same receptacle for it to work.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:23 AM   #16
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
An aftermarket intake will most likely require this to be removed. The bigger question is, if removed is it connected to any smog or sensors etc...
The inline trumpet device does not allow airflow it only lets sound through. Did not see any wires or other piping connected to either section of the soundtube. Really looked like it could simply be blocked with a plug at the connector on the airtube or at the firewall without any adverse side affects.
After listening to this when revved up, I would leave it functional Agree with Denis in above post.

The Air Filter box is much bigger in Gen 6 and the air box opening right up against the back of the headlight area is larger as well

Ron

Last edited by ron123; 10-29-2015 at 06:40 AM.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:38 AM   #17
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
To me this sound tube is ridiculous, long tubes create plenty of sound! This must be for all the people that used to turn their air cleaner upside down for more carb noise
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:40 AM   #18
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Seems kind of silly to me as well, "sound bling?" Sort of a "well the other guys are doing it so we will too" kind of thing? Normally they go to great lengths to eliminate intake noise with baffles and plates that redirect the air charge and is why so many of you see performance gains (increased intake noise?) by ditching the stock stuff for a CAI. So now they add even more junk to route the sound to the cabin that they've engineered out? I always thought the mindset for you guys was, "If it doesn't make the car faster..."
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:01 AM   #19
DevonK

Drives: TBD
Sound tubes done badly can be truly obnoxious (see: FR-S/BRZ). But if you don't like what they add, they can easily be plugged (in the case of the twins, in the passenger footwell, with a $6 part from an auto supply store).

It's not an artificial sound though, and if it adds to the deep baritone tone of the SS engine note it will be a welcome addition.

There's some Euro hot hatch that has a totally artificial system playing through the speakers that allows you to transform the sound of its 4-banger into anything you want - V8 rumble, V12 shriek - and it works pretty well. If I was forced to go with a 4, that's what I'd want, as there is no way a 4 cylinder is going to sound decent au naturel (or even with a sound tube).
DevonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:21 AM   #20
Obsessed 17

Drives: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71
I dont care about the sound tube, but if i get an aftermarket exhaust its coming out. On my previous car i just did axle backs and left sound tube in and it was deafining in the cabin. Took it out and it was perfect.
Obsessed 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:31 AM   #21
2000Firehawk

Drives: 2000Firehawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro19 View Post
I think it's a cool idea. I'm curious what it sounds like.
Hmm... a 'hearing-aid' for the 'baby-boomer' generation maybe...
Blinker fluid , muffler bearings, sound-tubes....
The sales people at the stealerships, are going to have a good time with this...
If I throw in an extra sound tube, do we have a deal...
2000Firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:48 AM   #22
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Yeah the sound tube thing is pretty stupid. I'll be tearing the whole thing out the day I take my car home. GM seriously wasted engineering time and materials on this feature?

Kinda lame a** crap is that? $5.00 in plastic hoses from Home Depot and what is essentially a spit valve for a trumpet.

Wait, there's people who love this idea - who wants to buy mine for $500.00?
My question is: why the hate? You don't even know what it sounds like without it, yet you seem utterly convinced that removing the sound tube would be an improvement. Based on what? Removing its not going to make the exhaust any louder.

Quote:
Why would it have any effect on emissions equipment? Its a sound tube ... it transmits sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLL67RSSS View Post
Seems kind of silly to me as well, "sound bling?" Sort of a "well the other guys are doing it so we will too" kind of thing? Normally they go to great lengths to eliminate intake noise with baffles and plates that redirect the air charge and is why so many of you see performance gains (increased intake noise?) by ditching the stock stuff for a CAI. So now they add even more junk to route the sound to the cabin that they've engineered out? I always thought the mindset for you guys was, "If it doesn't make the car faster..."
Not all sounds are good. Its all about filtering out some elements while enhancing others, not making everything quieter or louder.

Think of it like this: when you hear a song get played, they didn't just stick a microphone in the middle of the room & hope for the best, because then the drums would be overpowering while the bass guitar could barely be heard and the vocals would get garbled. In the mixing, each piece is enhanced or reduced as needed to provide the best overall experience. Its not a perfect analogy, but it gives a sense of what the engineers are trying to accomplish
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000Firehawk View Post
Hmm... a 'hearing-aid' for the 'baby-boomer' generation maybe...
Blinker fluid , muffler bearings, sound-tubes....
The sales people at the stealerships, are going to have a good time with this...
If I throw in an extra sound tube, do we have a deal...
You've got it all figured out. Its all a ploy so that dealers can charge an extra few bucks to people who don't know any better. But you won't be fooled, will you? Because you're smarter than the engineers that worked on it.

My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:50 AM   #23
joemosfet

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
"Don't knock it until you try it."
2014 Stingray Premiere Edition Coupe #142/500 Z51 3LT M7 Laguna Blue, Magride, NPP, Exposed Carbon Fiber Roof, Carbon Fiber Dash, Suede Wrapped Interior

Canceled: 2016 Camaro Coupe 1AK37 2SS Coupe, G7E Garnet Red, BRJ Adrenaline Red Trim, F55 Magnetic Ride, NPP Exhaust, CF5 Sunroof, 56R Gray Split spoke w/ machined face, RN2 LPO Illuminated Bowtie, VYW Premium Floor Mats, W2D LPO Cargo Net
joemosfet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:03 AM   #24
Spanky1

Drives: 2017 2SS Summit White Camaro M6
Can the sound tube be turned off without removing it?
Spanky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:03 AM   #25
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Dang guys...

back off the hate will you. Why do you all think it is so silly?

The purpose is to pipe in extra noise (noise that muscles head enjoy hearing....not made up crap coming through the speakers) back into the cabin, b/c without it we likely wouldn't hear enough noise.

What is so damn wrong with that????

Yes...if you are going to be installing an aftermarket exhaust, and headers, and what else...by all means. Rip this out, plug up the holes, and save a few pounds.

But for those of us that will likely leave the exhaust stock or mostly stock this is a good feature to have. (I ordered NPP...I'm not ripping that off, but I can see a possible change to the exhaust more "upstream" from there possibly)

You guys that think this is nothing but nonsense, really need to open yourselves up a bit.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:04 AM   #26

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Well, maybe calling it a trumpet leaves a lot of options for the aftermarket and isn't the most flattering description...lol...

But, there probably are a lot of "normal" engine sounds these days that are better off unheard inside the cabin and this feature solves that....At least it's not full blown artificial electronic enhancement through the speakers....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:04 AM   #27
joemosfet

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Well, using that logic, what's so damn wrong with "crap coming through the speakers" ? Doesn't the T4 do that?
2014 Stingray Premiere Edition Coupe #142/500 Z51 3LT M7 Laguna Blue, Magride, NPP, Exposed Carbon Fiber Roof, Carbon Fiber Dash, Suede Wrapped Interior

Canceled: 2016 Camaro Coupe 1AK37 2SS Coupe, G7E Garnet Red, BRJ Adrenaline Red Trim, F55 Magnetic Ride, NPP Exhaust, CF5 Sunroof, 56R Gray Split spoke w/ machined face, RN2 LPO Illuminated Bowtie, VYW Premium Floor Mats, W2D LPO Cargo Net
joemosfet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:07 AM   #28
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemosfet View Post
Well, using that logic, what's so damn wrong with "crap coming through the speakers" ? Doesn't the T4 do that?
Using logic would tell you, that "crap coming through the speakers" is enhanced sound...made up sound or cancelling of noises.

This is real engine noise being pumped into the cabin. Surely you can realize that difference.