Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-09-2016, 08:41 AM   #15
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
My wife's BMW Z4 was in an accident this week (she is fine) and it is probably totaled. Some guy did not see her and damaged the whole drivers side from rear bumper to front bumper and bent the suspension on that side. She likes my 2SS so much she wants to replace it with a Camaro Convertible. She really likes how mine sounds so we have to hear a V6 with NPP before we decide on the engine. Really kind of bummed because the Z4 is a very nice handling car and it was in pristine condition but the ride is harsh. The Camaro rides exceptionally well for a sporty car.
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:13 AM   #16
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Sorry to hear about the accident but most importantly your wife is ok. Celebrate that!

I came close to buying a used Z4 a few years ago but ended up in a new Miata. Which I really didn't like all that much. Probably would have been happier with a z4. But that led to a E93 328i hard top convertible which was a nice car and fit our needs well. But I got the itch for something with more hot rod nature and found the newly released 6th gen. I feel it compares very well to the BMW E93 platform. It is a much bigger car than a Z4 so really depends what your wife wants. But she is familiar since you have one. They look great in vert form and the chassis is amazingly solid with the top down. Chevy did a very nice
Job here.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:08 AM   #17
F-16 CHIEF

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I left an E90 for my SS, so I understand. The E90/92's cannot get enough love and attention. Everyday was pure enjoyment with that car.
F-16 CHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:15 AM   #18
16Panther

Drives: 2016 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigss50 View Post
My wife's BMW Z4 was in an accident this week (she is fine) and it is probably totaled. Some guy did not see her and damaged the whole drivers side from rear bumper to front bumper and bent the suspension on that side. She likes my 2SS so much she wants to replace it with a Camaro Convertible. She really likes how mine sounds so we have to hear a V6 with NPP before we decide on the engine. Really kind of bummed because the Z4 is a very nice handling car and it was in pristine condition but the ride is harsh. The Camaro rides exceptionally well for a sporty car.
I had a Z4 and it rode better than my Camaro does. Maybe she has a handling package with big wheels that make it rough riding. Mine was smooth as silk.

When shopping for my Camaro I drove a V6 convertible with the NPP and it sounds really cool. Here's a link from Jalopnik.

https://youtu.be/Qrs0oa-XIV4?list=PL...FOpYg5wn7WCDK2
16Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:41 AM   #19
c4racer

I have the factory performance exhaust on my Colorado - same 3.6 motor and it sounds great. Deep and throaty under load, quiet under cruise. It's perfect for me. That is just a straight aftermarket catback made by Gibson I think and sold as a factory PN.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:43 AM   #20
c4racer

Btw - the SS vert rides better than a sport package E93 fwiw. And that's with 18s on the BMW and 20s on the camaro!
Old 12-09-2016, 12:06 PM   #21
'Merica

Drives: 2LT RS
Holy replies haha. Thanks for all the awesome feedback everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
Ha! I went the other route. Swapped a fully loaded all options 6cyl e93 vert for a base no option 2016 SS vert. Not even the auto trans option. I love the car and in vert 1SS trim has everything I could want !

I still have my high maintenance daily driver too - E39 M5.

I worry none about it. I know it does require expensive maint to keep it going but I do all the work myself and I thoroughly enjoy that car too. Besides it's barely broken in with only 100K miles.
I completely understand. The M3 will always hold a special place in my heart, and it really killed me to get rid of it. +1 on doing the work yourself. I don't have a garage at the moment so it makes it really difficult to work on anything. Hold onto that e39 though, that's a classic German sports car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub View Post
Holy cow I just did the same thing yesterday too! Except I went from e92m3 to 2ss.
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476371

Glad Im not the only crazy one. Congrats on the car.
Haha, nice. The car looks great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
M3 to SS is pretty a pretty sane move actually. Considering the SS is beating the next gen M4 in comparison tests.

No comment on a move to a V6 camaro however!
Yeah yeah, lol. However, I am not one of those people who will try and justify the V6 to the V8. For my situation though, the V6 just proved to be the better option, but I won't sit here and say that I wouldnt enjoy the SS haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven87 View Post
Welcome OP. So, how does the feel/drive of the 2LT compare to the M3?

I would think they are vastly different but the Camaro is an awesome platform.
You know, before I actually thought about getting the Camaro I would have instantly said "refinement" but I am truly impressed with how far chevy has come these last few years. I've only had the car a few days but I am really impressed with the style of the interior and options you receive. My M3 was a 2010 but it had almost every available option. Other than comfort, ( which isn't that far behind) the Camaro is a much nicer and sportier interior to be in. Granted, the BMW goes for more of the luxury/sport class, but the camaro has superior styling and feels more like a true sports car.

I cannot speak too much on performance because I am trying to keep within the bounds of the break-in period but the steering feel and handling seem somewhat comparable. I would probably give the M3 the advantage because that car is a masterpiece and is purpose-built for the track. I'm sure the SS with MR is right on par with the BMW. Also, I have the manual in the camaro, but I had the DCT in the M3; so it's a bit like apples and oranges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheadkev View Post
Good move
I posted before I was a VW Audi guy for over 30 years, the replacement parts for these cars are through the roof, hence why I bought a 2LT (not delivered yet) to get back to me roots as a Chevy person as well as enjoy the ability to find and afford replacements parts.

good luck and I believe this has been a great move for all of us on this thread.
Yeah, I was blown away how much cheaper parts are for these cars, especially aftermarket. I think American car manufacturers finally figured out they needed to step-up. I have had all German vehicles with the exception of two; and they were Japanese. I definitely think Chevrolet is on the right track
'Merica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:47 PM   #22
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Panther View Post
I had a Z4 and it rode better than my Camaro does. Maybe she has a handling package with big wheels that make it rough riding. Mine was smooth as silk.

When shopping for my Camaro I drove a V6 convertible with the NPP and it sounds really cool. Here's a link from Jalopnik.

https://youtu.be/Qrs0oa-XIV4?list=PL...FOpYg5wn7WCDK2
Just got back from the Body Shop and thankfully it is not totaled. Need new steering rack, tie rod ends etc and front and rear fenders repair door as well as front bumpers. She has almost gotten hit several times because the car sits so low and other vehicles can't see it specially SUV's like the one that hit it. So she still may wish to sell it and get a Camaro.
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 03:46 PM   #23
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
OP no need to apologize about buying a CA6 V6. Fun car. I had a 2007 N54 335i Sport. Great car but possibly expensive to keep as you said.

A shame you could not keep that M3. I think it's the last of the real BMW M3s. Wish I had one next to my Camaro. The more I read about the turbo M3/4 I do not want one.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:10 PM   #24
c4racer

ya - no thanks on the turbo M3's for me either. If anything I think the E46 M3 is the best one ever made, and that is the one I'd like to park next to my M5 and SS vert. But hey as long as I'm dreaming, I'd just as soon have a Z4M coupe or 997 as the M3 anyway! But I digress..

So many cars - so little time, money, space, etc.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:38 PM   #25
'Merica

Agreed. The E92 was the last of a breed, but the rod bearings were always in the back of my mind.

Anyways, I completed my first "mod" today on the camaro haha; have a black bow tie now. Boredom and going to winterfest got the best of me

Old 12-10-2016, 08:38 PM   #26
Sub

Drives: 2017 ZL1
'Merica, im noticing that too on options.. omg, so inexspensive!! Whats an m steering wheel cost .. $1500?! Here it's 3-400.
Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:46 PM   #27
'Merica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub View Post
'Merica, im noticing that too on options.. omg, so inexspensive!! Whats an m steering wheel cost .. $1500?! Here it's 3-400.
I hear you. I could never get myself to pull the trigger on a performance steering wheel. 1000 bucks, no thanks
Old 12-12-2016, 11:17 PM   #28
Cldgin2

Drives: 2017 1LE SS
Congrats on the purchase!!!