Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 11-06-2015, 12:33 PM   #15
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemosfet View Post
No kidding, what's that all about...

Anyway, the biggest problem, in my opinion, with running at Bandimere is how much grief you get when posting time slips - even if you include the (sometimes 9000 foot) DA for correction.

People will say there's something wrong with the car, that the driver doesn't know how to drive, and so on.

Imagine being in the 14-second club with some mods, while completely the stock guys at sea level are all in the 12-second club.

But, there are benefits. We can run lower octane fuel or run a bit more boost or advance the timing more than our sea-level brethren.
Agreed and thank you. I posted one slip in 2009 and nobody on the sister Camaro 5 forum got it, I was happy as can be with the time
Old 11-06-2015, 12:53 PM   #16
Whis

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
No kidding, what's that all about...

But, there are benefits. We can run lower octane fuel
Woah what? How does this help?
Whis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 01:02 PM   #17
joemosfet

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whis View Post
Woah what? How does this help?
How does running lower octane fuel help? It's cheaper, I guess...

Just to be clear, extra octane does not increase power.

Octane rating is simply a descriptor for the gasoline's ability to self-detonate at certain temperatures and pressures.

In gasoline engines, detonation is a violent explosive reaction, not something we want. Rather we want the fuel to burn and expand gasses at a predictable rate.

Engines that have higher internal temperatures, or engines that have high compression, or engines that advance the timing to get a bit more power (max compression at top dead center) require higher octane fuel.

Because of our high altitude, and lower air pressures, the internal cylinder pressure is reduced (compared to our friends at sea level). There is even less chance of detonation allowing us to buy lower octane fuel. Or increase boost. Or advance timing. (Or a combination of the above.)

Oh, additionally, the LT1 features direct injection, where it can already run higher compression because there is no fuel in the chamber to pre-detonate. The injectors can spray at a controlled rate, even after the valves have closed and pressure is building. This is much like how a diesel works, but a diesel doesn't even need spark plugs. The heat and pressure in the cylinder are enough to ignite the diesel's direct injection spray. Diesel has an extremely low octane rating.
2014 Stingray Premiere Edition Coupe #142/500 Z51 3LT M7 Laguna Blue, Magride, NPP, Exposed Carbon Fiber Roof, Carbon Fiber Dash, Suede Wrapped Interior

Canceled: 2016 Camaro Coupe 1AK37 2SS Coupe, G7E Garnet Red, BRJ Adrenaline Red Trim, F55 Magnetic Ride, NPP Exhaust, CF5 Sunroof, 56R Gray Split spoke w/ machined face, RN2 LPO Illuminated Bowtie, VYW Premium Floor Mats, W2D LPO Cargo Net
joemosfet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 01:18 PM   #18
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMMIT WHITE SS View Post
Whomever wrote that is not telling the whole truth, and actually is off base. As I said, turbocharged engines STILL loses power at higher altitudes. It may be less, but it still losses power...

Planes are set up different, they are designed to run at altitude, not sea level like cars. That is pretty obvious as they fly. But cars will not just continue to build more boost if it's needed to make more power...what the boost level is, is what it is.

Turbocharged engines still lose about 1.5-2.5% of their power for every 1000 feet or so in altitude.
I recently moved from Tx to CO. My 228i is turbo charged and both my 'butt dyno' and phone based 0-60 timer seem to indicate no change going from less than 500ft altitude in Dallas to over 5500ft in the Denver area. I know it *should* have lost some power but it really doesnt seem to be noticeable.

A few years ago I had my 2010 camaro up here in Denver on vacation and it was noticeable on that car. Not enough to be a problem since it still had plenty of power.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:34 PM   #19
kain279

Drives: 335i
Forced Induction loses power at altitude, true. It does so at a far lesser rate than an NA engine though.

Don't fall for the trap of an electric car though. Driven hard you will be shocked at how much less the range is than what is advertised.
kain279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 01:35 PM   #20
bhavyas

Drives: 2016 1SS Yellow
Quote:
How does running lower octane fuel help? It's cheaper, I guess...

Just to be clear, extra octane does not increase power.

Octane rating is simply a descriptor for the gasoline's ability to self-detonate at certain temperatures and pressures.

In gasoline engines, detonation is a violent explosive reaction, not something we want. Rather we want the fuel to burn and expand gasses at a predictable rate.

Engines that have higher internal temperatures, or engines that have high compression, or engines that advance the timing to get a bit more power (max compression at top dead center) require higher octane fuel.

Because of our high altitude, and lower air pressures, the internal cylinder pressure is reduced (compared to our friends at sea level). There is even less chance of detonation allowing us to buy lower octane fuel. Or increase boost. Or advance timing. (Or a combination of the above.)

Oh, additionally, the LT1 features direct injection, where it can already run higher compression because there is no fuel in the chamber to pre-detonate. The injectors can spray at a controlled rate, even after the valves have closed and pressure is building. This is much like how a diesel works, but a diesel doesn't even need spark plugs. The heat and pressure in the cylinder are enough to ignite the diesel's direct injection spray. Diesel has an extremely low octane rating.
ohhh kmon... I was just going to say all of this... why did you ruin my post...hahahah.. just kidding.. for the explanation
bhavyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 03:31 PM   #21
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
Your 2016 Camaro SS will without question fail to live up to the performance numbers of those at lower altitudes. The good thing about it is, all the rest of the cars at your altitude will suffer the same percentage of power loss and....YOU WILL STILL BE ABLE TO WHOOP UP ON MUSTANGS!!! Buy the Camaro and enjoy the car and once in a while "super charge" it by taking your vacations at sea level...lol.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote