Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-23-2015, 02:35 PM   #57
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post
... 1 excessive carbon buildup in the combustion chamber, and 2 heat buildup. That's why the 3 radiators in the car. The corvette LT4 is suffering from the heat sink problem. Time will tell how durable these engines will be, especially the modified ones.
As for advertising, they are opening the order banks on Aug, 13. Better get going.
Not trying to jump on you, but you don't really know why they went with a 3 radiator design. Assuming its to combat an excessive LT1 heat issue is just that...an assumption. Sure, the LT4 has shown heating problems when driven hard, but the LT1 hasn't as far as I know. The 8-speed auto transmission has had some complaints about heat, but again, not that LT1 that I've heard.

With all the extra cooling on this car (radiator, brake cooling, oil cooler, trans cooler, and diff cooler) it would be mighty disappointing to still experience heat issues.

As for advertising....companies simply do not advertise vehicles very publicly this early in the cycle. Nobody does. Promote it at events, and discuss the car on certain shows or radio...(enthusiast oriented) sure. But there is no reason to run commercials yet. Ford didn't run commercials for the Mustang until AFTER they were hitting lots. You could also look at the very popular GM mid-size truck twins as an example. No commercials for that truck until a month or two after production began and they started hitting lots.

GM wants to sell off as many 2015s as they can. Also, the last thing they want is to spend money advertising a car that nobody can actually go and see yet. It just isn't happening. The only people that care at this point are enthusiasts like us. I wouldn't expect to see a 2016 Camaro commercial until late fall at the earliest, and its possible the might just wait until spring when the season hits.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:23 PM   #58
LbulletM

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
The only people that care at this point are enthusiasts like us. I wouldn't expect to see a 2016 Camaro commercial until late fall at the earliest, and its possible the might just wait until spring when the season hits.
This. 100% this. The people that are going to be the first out there buying are the people like us. They know about the car. They follow the car. The random person that needs a new car and for some reason decides to replace their Corolla with a Camaro isn't going to do it based on a commercial months before the car is released. They're going to see it in person. Then the want is going to be reinforced during commercials. They don't have to do much to sell this car to enthusiasts like everyone on this site.
LbulletM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 03:40 PM   #59
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post
Well in the sprit of good discussion. Direct Injection is not new. It was developed during WWII in airplane engines. Many car company's have been building DI motors since the early 2000's, GM had Direct injection in there Eco engine in 2006 . GM went to the DI V8 because of emissions. Instead of designing a new engine they did this to buy them maybe 5 years before they are forced to redesign before technology passes them by, It is a stopgap measure because DI motors have there own set of problems. 1 excessive carbon buildup in the combustion chamber, and 2 heat buildup. That's why the 3 radiators in the car. The corvette LT4 is suffering from the heat sink problem. Time will tell how durable these engines will be, especially the modified ones.
As for advertising, they are opening the order banks on Aug, 13. Better get going.
Price, well this is a theory it seems they are rolling the SS, and the 1le together and knowing GM the consumer will pay the price. They want to sell many, many 4 cylinders.
To the last point Yes we all know why they are going to have all kinds of incentives for the Z/28. Just get the car off my lot!!

And PS Love the Camaro in my life I have had 5. Still have my 69 Z/28 that I ordered new.
Just for the record, didn't mean to sound like I was jumping on you either and I appreciate the reply.

So what would be ground breaking to you in terms of engines? If DI V8 being a first from Detroit isn't, then I'm guessing none of the engines out today in the Mustang, Camaro, or Challenger would be. Since none of them feature anything that hasn't been around for awhile. There's only so much left do to with IC engines. Ground breaking to me is a first for the platform, not a first for the industry I guess.

I agree with KMPrenger's points. I've not see issues with LT1 heating either. The reasons for the 3 radiator setup have been talked about a lot in this thread.
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415736

The consensus is the Camaro team went to a smaller radiator in size (for aero/packaging/brake cooling) and also are using engine coolant for oil cooling it seems. With all those things in mind, they needed more cooling in a tighter space than the 5th gen.

The LT4 issues stem from packaging in the ZO6 more than anything else from what I've read. In a different car things might be quite different. Besides pretty sure bet if the 6th gen gets it, it will not be the same as used in the ZO6.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)

Last edited by SuperSound; 07-23-2015 at 04:39 PM.
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:37 PM   #60
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Old 07-23-2015, 08:41 PM   #61
amerhash28

Drives: camaros in his dreams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curr View Post
Also, I love the new Scat Pack Challengers, but it seems for me, the SS just has "it".
I have the same feeling you have man.the challenger is very tempting but the camaro is the "special one"
amerhash28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:42 PM   #62
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Current 5th Gen = Muscle car

Newer 6th Gen = Sports car.

/end topic
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:11 PM   #63
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post

/end topic
Incorrect

Stingray= Sports car

Camaro= Sports Coupe
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:53 PM   #64
LbulletM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
Incorrect

Stingray= Sports car

Camaro= Sports Coupe
Old 07-23-2015, 11:33 PM   #65
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post

/end topic
Quote:
Incorrect

Stingray= Sports car

Camaro= Sports Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by LbulletM View Post
Actually to be accurate based on the definitions, the current 5th gen is a high performance sports GT. A muscle car is simply a regular passenger car with a big block engine in it so it "muscles" its way to straight-line performance with brute force horsepower/torque. Sports cars do more than just go fast in a straight line; they go fast, corner fast and stop fast, but traditionally they're 2-seaters (such as the Corvette). A GT is basically a sports car with 4 seats for "Grand Touring" yet they retain the performance of a 2-seat sports car.

Today's Camaro (and others like the Mustang which actually started out being called Pony cars) are like nothing else before. They perform at a level that would have easily required 6-figure price tags not too long ago. Yet you can buy one starting below $30k.

The 6th Gen Camaro represents a complete rethink from top to bottom, inside and out and I applaud the entire Camaro team for this outstanding effort. It's a true evolution; not merely a restyled body with a bit more horsepower and a restyled interior. The outside (and inside) styling is obviously the result of paying attention to the customer base (mostly enthusiasts I would guess) so it's not a surprise that it isn't a radical redesign. The Camaro crowd is unbelievably touchy about style. For the 7th Gen though they need to pull out all the stops and really let their imaginations run wild so it's a genuine revolution taking us solidly into the 21st century with a design that only 21st century technology makes possible.

I'm just waiting on pricing to see what it might cost to replace my daily driver Toyota with a Gen6 V6. Good job Camaro team!

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:35 PM   #66
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
We're going to be waiting a long time for the 7th Gen...

Let's have fun with the Gen 6's first!
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:36 PM   #67
LbulletM

That's true, but for the sake of the nameplate... Muscle car.

Seriously though, good point.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:24 AM   #68
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
We're going to be waiting a long time for the 7th Gen...

Let's have fun with the Gen 6's first!
"A long time" seems to go by rather fast now days. I still remember the excitement of tracking my 5th gen through the build process (which I ordered sight-unseen in May of 2009; having never seen one, driven one or seen the color) and seeing it for the first time at the dealer in August of 2009. It's now 6 years later. How time flies...

I'll predict we'll see the 7th gen in about 6 years; which will be 2021. Sounds like a long ways off but then again...

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out there's an advanced design group at team Camaro that's already discussing and looking at the 7th gen. They'd have to be because of the lead time to develop, use and commit to the latest technology.

It would probably be useful to let them know now before they go too deep into a design that we want a genuine revolution; not a retro design. Give us a new stunner. At least that's my vote.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:34 AM   #69
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerhash28 View Post
I have the same feeling you have man.the challenger is very tempting but the camaro is the "special one"
For shits and giggles you should go test drive one if you can. Stomp on, that 392 sounds ****ing glorious at full wail. Dodge nailed it with the sound!

The updated interior is pretty nice, too.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:28 AM   #70
5genmarofan229

Drives: 14 LT Silver Ice Metallic
I'm going to go with C and a little bit of B. I'm about 70% sure I will upgrade to an V8 next year and I was sure it would be in a Camaro but after seeing this new gen, I'm leaning towards the 15 challenger. I get more bells and whistles on a car I can actually stand to look at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
5genmarofan229 is offline   Reply With Quote