Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-18-2017, 01:00 AM   #71
Chazzz

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 A8 Convertible
The 3.6 V6 in Gen6 has been picked by Wards Auto Magazine as one of the 10 best engines for its power, smoothness and fuel economy, and rightfully so! 335 HP and an exhaust note you associate with a V8. All the latest technology... direct injection, continuously variable valve timing, and with the A8 advanced active fuel management cylinder deactivation. Engines such as this are usually only found in premium brands at a much higher price point.

Last edited by Chazzz; 10-18-2017 at 01:28 AM.
Chazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:53 AM   #72
OddJack

Drives: Submarine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazzz View Post
The 3.6 V6 in Gen6 has been picked by Wards Auto Magazine as one of the 10 best engines for its power, smoothness and fuel economy, and rightfully so! 335 HP and an exhaust note you associate with a V8. All the latest technology... direct injection, continuously variable valve timing, and with the A8 advanced active fuel management cylinder deactivation. Engines such as this are usually only found in premium brands at a much higher price point.
Chazzz said it well. I bought one, sold it and bought another one ( because wanted a convertible). Never had any V8 regrets. To me it's better.

Get V6, the sweet spot for power and fuel economy. A car you can commute with or just enjoy driving. Best of both worlds.
OddJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:56 AM   #73
OddJack

Drives: Submarine
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyfed View Post
Holy smokes man... you really want that mpg huh? That seems like a lot of unnecessary thinking for only a few mpg.
It's not much thinking if one can think so easily and efficiently.

Good post, Need4Camaro
OddJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:53 AM   #74
whiskeyfed
Pat

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT I4 Turbo A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by OddJack View Post
It's not much thinking if one can think so easily and efficiently.

Good post, Need4Camaro
It is way more thinking than I do. That's why I said it. I don't think at all about saving gas and still get around 26-30 combined mpg. To each their own but this seems like more of an effort than is necessary.

Look if you have a V6, you like the V6. Yes it is better HP wise and the exhaust note is better. The rest you could toss up to a crapshoot, give or take a few aspects like FI and the NPP option. Not that I think the i4 is high and mighty, I get it, it is the entry level Camaro. But don't tell me I am not a car enthusiast because I dont have the money to buy an SS. I treat this car just as I would if i had spent an extra 15k on an SS.

I think they are very comparable, and at the end of the day, its what you prefer!! I also do not think either is anywhere near the performance capabilities of the V8, that is nonsense. I think that the i4 is plenty reliable. Personally, I think i have seen more V8 issues than either of our platforms.

That being said, this i4 packs quite the punch for an entry level Camaro. I think there are aspects of both that are better than one another. I personally like FI cars, that is why I went with the turbo. The weight comparison is negligible. i4 wins in torque, v6 wins in HP. Gas mileage is negligible. Options are the same (aside from the obviously glaring NPP option). 0-60 and QM times are relatively close. I think the V6 would win stock for stock. V6 sounds better. They're pretty much the same friggin car aside from a HP difference and an exhaust note!!

Also, us i4 people don't expect the exhaust to sound like the v6 or nay I say the v8! So telling us that our cars will never sound as good as yours is something we already know; if we did, we would have gotten one!

PLEASE NOTE: If you take this post as "bashing" or me writing how the I4 is better, you should read it again. I do not want an argument. They are both great cars. I clearly have given the V6 its due respect. I think that stock for stock, like I said, there are very few differences. I like my turbo, it was less than 30k, it's quick, it's fast, and I can daily drive it, and I have great options for aftermarket performance. That is why I chose MY car. I don't care what you choose. I like the v6, i think it sounds great, I don't want one.

Subscribe on YouTube Whiskeyfed Camaro

Follow my Build Thread The WhiskeyFed Camaro

Current Modifications: JacFab Boost-O-Lator, Injen Evolution CAI, ZZP Catless Downpipe, RPM 3" Charge Pipe, Mishimoto Oil Filtration/Coolant Systems, R1 Concepts Brakes Package, Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, PTP Lava Exhaust Wrap & Turbo Blanket

DYNO SHEET: 297whp / 374wtq
Tuned by #danytechtuning

Last edited by whiskeyfed; 10-18-2017 at 07:35 AM.
whiskeyfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:40 AM   #75
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Well, I'm not saying you or anyone specifically are not a car enthusiast, but what I am saying is.. if you plan on modding, logically its a MUCH better idea to save up the money you would use on mods as an extra toward the down payment toward an SS - Dollar for Dollar it will always be quicker and more reliable IF horse power is what you're after.. you can still be a car enthusiast and keep your car bone stock.. I am an enthusiast and recognize that my V6 is a quick car but its not worth voiding the warranty on just to race it - it's intended as a fun and quick commuter car, much like the I4.. it doesn't mean you're broke, nor doesn't mean that you're not an enthusiast, it just means that this car's intended purpose is not to be a tire shredding monster but a quick and fun sports car and people are comparing these cars in modability fashion which I feel is moot because the majority of the market who really wants to mod a car, will go for an SS - I would never mod either of the platforms, I4 or V6 on a BRAND NEW CAR..if it was USED and the warranty was expired and it was a cheap toy then thats different but if its brand new you're using this car to daily drive and commute in, its a VERY bad idea.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:09 AM   #76
whiskeyfed
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Well, I'm not saying you or anyone specifically are not a car enthusiast, but what I am saying is.. if you plan on modding, logically its a MUCH better idea to save up the money you would use on mods as an extra toward the down payment toward an SS - Dollar for Dollar it will always be quicker and more reliable IF horse power is what you're after.. you can still be a car enthusiast and keep your car bone stock.. I am an enthusiast and recognize that my V6 is a quick car but its not worth voiding the warranty on just to race it - it's intended as a fun and quick commuter car, much like the I4.. it doesn't mean you're broke, nor doesn't mean that you're not an enthusiast, it just means that this car's intended purpose is not to be a tire shredding monster but a quick and fun sports car and people are comparing these cars in modability fashion which I feel is moot because the majority of the market who really wants to mod a car, will go for an SS - I would never mod either of the platforms, I4 or V6 on a BRAND NEW CAR..if it was USED and the warranty was expired and it was a cheap toy then thats different but if its brand new you're using this car to daily drive and commute in, its a VERY bad idea.
Right, but again. That is personal preference. Modifying this car or any car can go 1 or 2 ways. Cheap and quick, or quality. I am going the quality route. Although I have done things to my car, I am very cognizant of my warranty. If I need invasive warranty work done, I can very quickly and easily take everything off of my car and have it bone stock in 2 hours. I won't do this because I don't need to but just some food for thought. There are people that daily drive SS's, is it a bad idea for them too? It is only a bad idea if you are stupid and cheap with what you are putting in your car. Most, if not all of the people who are modifying cars don't care about the warranty anyways.

So, I guess that puts me and countless others who ARE modifying this LTG platform in the minority. I don't think it has anything to do with what car people are modifying, I think it has to do with what people can afford. If ended up getting a Ford Focus ST, I would have modified it, if i had gotten a friggin Honda Civic, i would have modified it. You see what I am getting at? Just because I want to modify this car, doesn't mean that I made a bad decision. I just couldn't afford an SS, and this was the next best thing for me. Making this car faster, is more enjoyable to me, than spending a more money on an SS, and not having money to do anything to it, make it personal, or modify it.

Dollar for dollar, yes if i could afford an SS, i probably would have gotten one. But taking my time and getting good parts while still enjoying it pretty much stock at the moment is my goal. I am not stripping the internals, I am not swapping for a V8, I am adding quality, brand name, reputable parts that will better performance, increase engine longevity, and make the car better and more enjoyable for me to drive. I do daily drive my car, and having something that I can daily drive and on the weekends, take to the track and break some hearts, is what I am after. This platform gives me the opportunity for both. Not that yours doesn't but we clearly see our cars in a different light.

Current Modifications: JacFab Boost-O-Lator, Injen Evolution CAI, ZZP Catless Downpipe, RPM 3" Charge Pipe, Mishimoto Oil Filtration/Coolant Systems, R1 Concepts Brakes Package, Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, PTP Lava Exhaust Wrap & Turbo Blanket

Tuned by #danytechtuning
Old 10-18-2017, 08:43 AM   #77
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyfed View Post
Right, but again. That is personal preference. Modifying this car or any car can go 1 or 2 ways. Cheap and quick, or quality. I am going the quality route. Although I have done things to my car, I am very cognizant of my warranty. If I need invasive warranty work done, I can very quickly and easily take everything off of my car and have it bone stock in 2 hours. I won't do this because I don't need to but just some food for thought. There are people that daily drive SS's, is it a bad idea for them too? It is only a bad idea if you are stupid and cheap with what you are putting in your car. Most, if not all of the people who are modifying cars don't care about the warranty anyways.

So, I guess that puts me and countless others who ARE modifying this LTG platform in the minority. I don't think it has anything to do with what car people are modifying, I think it has to do with what people can afford. If ended up getting a Ford Focus ST, I would have modified it, if i had gotten a friggin Honda Civic, i would have modified it. You see what I am getting at? Just because I want to modify this car, doesn't mean that I made a bad decision. I just couldn't afford an SS, and this was the next best thing for me. Making this car faster, is more enjoyable to me, than spending a more money on an SS, and not having money to do anything to it, make it personal, or modify it.

Dollar for dollar, yes if i could afford an SS, i probably would have gotten one. But taking my time and getting good parts while still enjoying it pretty much stock at the moment is my goal. I am not stripping the internals, I am not swapping for a V8, I am adding quality, brand name, reputable parts that will better performance, increase engine longevity, and make the car better and more enjoyable for me to drive. I do daily drive my car, and having something that I can daily drive and on the weekends, take to the track and break some hearts, is what I am after. This platform gives me the opportunity for both. Not that yours doesn't but we clearly see our cars in a different light.
In a respectful manner...

You can do whatever you want to do, I have no issues with that, you have free will however; just because we have free will doesn't necessarily mean that all of our decisions will be the wisest. I will continue to argue only from a logical perspective. There's absolutely no reason in a logical sense that modding a Turbo 4 would ever be better than buying an SS if you're buying brand new... If you accumulate the money for mods, the SS will be just as fast (if not faster) and will be more reliable over all. So what I am stating is, with that suggested, it's moot to buy either platform to mod them when you can get something just as fast as a MODDED and now possibly unreliable car - out the factory with a warranty and every bit as fast.. I can see doing intake and exhaust.. its hit or miss with the warranty on those but unlikely to void it as they would have to PROVE that those parts caused the engine damage and those parts do not provide enough of a radical change..but trying to biuld a 400 HP turbo 4 when there's a 455 HP SS available.. thats where my logic is breaking down and I ask...why?.. I could see it if the SS wasn't available..but its going to cost the same in the long run..

You can make the turbo 4 fast, maybe even as fast as an SS.. but you're going to spend a considerable amount making it as reliable as one and definitely more if you don't as you will be replacing parts. I have no issue with that, but would I do it? No.. I would not mod a 4 Cyl or V6 if there was a V8 variant available that could be obtained from the factory.. I should reiterate to say, I would not heavily invest in making serious power or mod in a sense that may void its warranty...I could see CAI and Exhaust but if you're trying to push big numbers out of it.. it can be done but its not worth it in comparison to saving the money for mods (and also repairs that come because of these mods because ANYTIME you want to make a car faster, you WILL break stuff, its inevitable.) ..for a SS..that does everything a souped up Turbo 4 Cyl will do ..What I am stating is literally..for the money you will invest in making the Turbo 4 fast, not stating it can't be fast..but for that money You can EASILY have an SS and keep your warranty and have plenty of smiles.

I also politely recommend doing a bit of homework on that warranty work statement... The dealer can look back at through the ECM and tell if a tune has been done to it or not, even if you delete the tune likewise they can tell any non factory / irregular AFR's or anything that is not as it was as factory - you can't get around it as easily as you used to be able to, literally not even keeping a spare ECM will work anymore. Dont expect to kick it up to 20 PSI and pop a piston and hope the dealer is going to mop the floor of that mess... its not going to happen.

So I conclude my statement with this, if you're talking about modding - it's moot to compare any of these cars... Any of them can be FAST.. but its much wiser to buy that reliability and performance right out the factory IF THATS WHERE YOU'RE GOING...

GM intended both the I4 and V6 as entry level fun commuting sports cars and thats it..and when compared at that level..the V6 wins...if it was any different they would have included modifications in their warranty..and we clearly see that is not the case.

Personally for me, I would not DD any heavily modded car... which is why I have my V6. For the SS though its much easier to understand why they would not care about a warranty...it is not intended as a commuting car although it can be easily used as one.. it is intended as a performance / show car. For the I4, you're going to spend much more on an entry level car to keep up with an SS even in stock form (retaining its warranty) and then after that a modded no warranty SS still wins hands down where as the I4 now doesn't have a warranty and might not even beable to be used as its intended purpose anymore..daily driving...

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 10-18-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:18 AM   #78
whiskeyfed
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
In a respectful manner...

You can do whatever you want to do, I have no issues with that, you have free will however; just because we have free will doesn't necessarily mean that all of our decisions will be the wisest. I will continue to argue only from a logical perspective. There's absolutely no reason in a logical sense that modding a Turbo 4 would ever be better than buying an SS if you're buying brand new... If you accumulate the money for mods, the SS will be just as fast (if not faster) and will be more reliable over all. So what I am stating is, with that suggested, it's moot to buy either platform to mod them when you can get something just as fast as a MODDED and now possibly unreliable car - out the factory with a warranty and every bit as fast.. I can see doing intake and exhaust.. its hit or miss with the warranty on those but unlikely to void it as they would have to PROVE that those parts caused the engine damage and those parts do not provide enough of a radical change..but trying to biuld a 400 HP turbo 4 when there's a 455 HP SS available.. thats where my logic is breaking down and I ask...why?.. I could see it if the SS wasn't available..but its going to cost the same in the long run..

You can make the turbo 4 fast, maybe even as fast as an SS.. but you're going to spend a considerable amount making it as reliable as one and definitely more if you don't as you will be replacing parts. I have no issue with that, but would I do it? No.. I would not mod a 4 Cyl or V6 if there was a V8 variant available that could be obtained from the factory.. I should reiterate to say, I would not heavily invest in making serious power or mod in a sense that may void its warranty...I could see CAI and Exhaust but if you're trying to push big numbers out of it.. it can be done but its not worth it in comparison to saving the money for mods (and also repairs that come because of these mods because ANYTIME you want to make a car faster, you WILL break stuff, its inevitable.) ..for a SS..that does everything a souped up Turbo 4 Cyl will do ..What I am stating is literally..for the money you will invest in making the Turbo 4 fast, not stating it can't be fast..but for that money You can EASILY have an SS and keep your warranty and have plenty of smiles.

I also politely recommend doing a bit of homework on that warranty work statement... The dealer can look back at through the ECM and tell if a tune has been done to it or not, even if you delete the tune likewise they can tell any non factory / irregular AFR's or anything that is not as it was as factory - you can't get around it as easily as you used to be able to, literally not even keeping a spare ECM will work anymore. Dont expect to kick it up to 20 PSI and pop a piston and hope the dealer is going to mop the floor of that mess... its not going to happen.

So I conclude my statement with this, if you're talking about modding - it's moot to compare any of these cars... Any of them can be FAST.. but its much wiser to buy that reliability and performance right out the factory IF THATS WHERE YOU'RE GOING...

GM intended both the I4 and V6 as entry level fun commuting sports cars and thats it..and when compared at that level..the V6 wins...if it was any different they would have included modifications in their warranty..and we clearly see that is not the case.

Personally for me, I would not DD any heavily modded car... which is why I have my V6. For the SS though its much easier to understand why they would not care about a warranty...it is not intended as a commuting car although it can be easily used as one.. it is intended as a performance / show car. For the I4, you're going to spend much more on an entry level car to keep up with an SS even in stock form (retaining its warranty) and then after that a modded no warranty SS still wins hands down where as the I4 now doesn't have a warranty and might not even beable to be used as its intended purpose anymore..daily driving...
Okay one more and after this I've had enough. This seems like a carousel. I don't have a tune so yes, I could take the minor bolt-onon parts (listed below) off and still be under warranty. I've done my homework. This has become a lost cause. I have said over and over the V6 wins in power and exhaust. Everything else is the SAME daily driver wise. I would even venture to suggest that the i4 is better in that perspective because it was less expensive as that is the only category you have any interest in talking about. The V6 is faster but performance aside, again, and again, they are extremely comparable. I am not saying you're wrong AND I am not saying my platform is better, but this has turned into a lecture of why you're right and I am wrong. Not once have I said you were wrong, or ill-informed, or that you made a bad decision. I have followed up with almost every statement I have made, with something that gives the V6 the credit it deserves or that the differences between them were close enough to not count. I think the difference between us is that I see mine as more than than just a DD. If I did not, I would certainly not have gotten a Camaro. When my car becomes unreliable and unusable as a daily driver, you can say I told you so.

Tuned by #danytechtuning
Old 10-18-2017, 10:43 AM   #79
Cameron27

Drives: 2015 2SS

Last edited by Cameron27; 06-06-2019 at 10:13 PM.
Cameron27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:49 AM   #80
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Get the 4 banger its loads better than the 6 or 8 cyl. Sounds better too.
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:23 PM   #81
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty McFlew View Post
Get the 4 banger its loads better than the 6 or 8 cyl. Sounds better too.
Wouldn't go that far but I get what you were trying to do there.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:39 PM   #82
Chazzz

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 A8 Convertible
Well for what it's worth the OP long ago made his decision lol.... He's driving a 1LT V6 M6 with NPP!
Chazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:09 PM   #83
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazzz View Post
Well for what it's worth the OP long ago made his decision lol.... He's driving a 1LT V6 M6 with NPP!
Ya i know this thread was fine i tried to put it to bed and instead woke up the hillbillies.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:12 PM   #84
OMEN

Drives: Camaro SS
IMO i guess i'll go with v6 because i owned it before (2012) and the exhaust note is awesome especially with SLP LM
I4 is new experience i might search more before i buy, this is the 1st gen we have I4
so test drive them both and Decide

Good Luck Man ..
Middle East, Oman
1LE front splitter, ZL1 Corsa Xtreme quad tips, x pipe, ZL1 Rear Diffuser, 1/LE Rear Emblems
CoCo 4 Life
OMEN is offline   Reply With Quote