Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-16-2017, 12:43 AM   #43
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
I see he went with the V6 when you look at his info. think we can safely lay this thread to rest.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:00 AM   #44
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joruiz View Post
Hello guys, I know there hasn't been much said or much information on the I4's yet but just wanted to get some input on this. Unfortunately I can not afford a SS so I am between these 2 different options. I would be purchasing either vehicle with as the 1LT Trim. So what do you guys think so far even with the limited info on the I4. I have never had a Camaro but as soon as the revealed the 6th Gen I can't stop thinking about it. I would probably not me doing any mods for the first year or so. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I would be adding the RS Package along with NPP Exhaust.
I havent read through the thread as i know this is going to end up in a V6 vs I4 vs a SS which wasn't even mentioned as an option pissing contest.. Here's my honest opinion..

Although the I4 is advertised to get better gas mileage, both the V6 and I4 get about the same fuel mileage and the I4 requires premium as well so the V6 overall wins in the fuel efficiency contest despite what the "paper" says..

I personally did not consider and I4 and am happy with that decision because I do NOT like the 4 Cyl Exhaust note in a Camaro and also I do not like forced induction. Can the 4 Cyl be made into something fast easier than the V6? Probably yes, the V6 will need to be boosted to get any serious power out of it but I didn't buy my car for Horse Power..

Now here's where things get hazy... If I were to buy ANY of these cars, I would buy them for what they really are, NOT to mod them - except for intake and exhaust.. because truly if you wish to mod, you really need to just get an SS as everything you throw at either platform is a waste of cash in comparison to getting an SS.. and an SS fuel mileage isnt that much worse than either platform.

Lastly..you don't "HAVE" to get a Camaro right now.. Right now at times I am wishing I had waited because now Im in a dillema as to not knowing whether or not I want to keep my car or upgrade to an SS.. I personally believe you should save up on a down payment for an SS if you're already thinking about modding the 4 cyl.. You will waste your warranty and still be slower than an SS.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:39 AM   #45
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustydaytons View Post
Would buy neither

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:41 AM   #46
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I havent read through the thread as i know this is going to end up in a V6 vs I4 vs a SS which wasn't even mentioned as an option pissing contest.. Here's my honest opinion..

Although the I4 is advertised to get better gas mileage, both the V6 and I4 get about the same fuel mileage and the I4 requires premium as well so the V6 overall wins in the fuel efficiency contest despite what the "paper" says..

I personally did not consider and I4 and am happy with that decision because I do NOT like the 4 Cyl Exhaust note in a Camaro and also I do not like forced induction. Can the 4 Cyl be made into something fast easier than the V6? Probably yes, the V6 will need to be boosted to get any serious power out of it but I didn't buy my car for Horse Power..

Now here's where things get hazy... If I were to buy ANY of these cars, I would buy them for what they really are, NOT to mod them - except for intake and exhaust.. because truly if you wish to mod, you really need to just get an SS as everything you throw at either platform is a waste of cash in comparison to getting an SS.. and an SS fuel mileage isnt that much worse than either platform.

Lastly..you don't "HAVE" to get a Camaro right now.. Right now at times I am wishing I had waited because now Im in a dillema as to not knowing whether or not I want to keep my car or upgrade to an SS.. I personally believe you should save up on a down payment for an SS if you're already thinking about modding the 4 cyl.. You will waste your warranty and still be slower than an SS.

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:49 PM   #47
BlackSovereign

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LE Black
Hmmm it depends naturally aspirated means I only have to pay regular. I like my v6 because of the NPP option(which is the cheapest way to make your car sound aftermarket and Quad Tips look better imo) and knowing I only have to buy reg gas.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:25 PM   #48
SoCalThug

Drives: 2012 Summit White 1Ls
As far as premium gas goes v6 vs i4. The i4 gets 3mpg better city or hwy. So with the 19 gallon tank the i4 would be able to go 57 more miles on a full tank. Not sure how the premium cost would factor in there cuz everywhere gas prices are different.
SoCalThug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:15 PM   #49
Need4Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalThug View Post
As far as premium gas goes v6 vs i4. The i4 gets 3mpg better city or hwy. So with the 19 gallon tank the i4 would be able to go 57 more miles on a full tank. Not sure how the premium cost would factor in there cuz everywhere gas prices are different.
This is all only speculation on paper...it's entirely different in the real world.. On paper SS's are not getting 30 - 32 MPG Highway... this has also been debunked. My V6 gets every bit as much fuel mileage as the I4... Proof below:

Old 10-16-2017, 04:04 PM   #50
Cameron27

Drives: 2015 2SS

Last edited by Cameron27; 06-06-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Cameron27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:19 PM   #51
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Its a shame the 4 banger will sound like a Civic.
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:24 AM   #52
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron27 View Post
Strange, my V6 in 70% highway, 30% city, total 400 miles (not full tank), got 29mpg this weekend. On pure highway with no delays I’d bet 32mpg in v6, that’s no city, no backups. Sure, you can peak out at maybe 34mpg with v6 if you measure start to finish while on flat highway, a synthetic benchmark.

I didn’t get 40mpg on flat ground, only got above 40mpg on downhill. Not sure how you averaged so well. There’s stretches at 40mpg, but I think it’d only be possible in a dead highway, no one around. Best I could get is 520 miles on a tank, usually driving city getting about 400 miles on a tank.
Hey man I see you're from Canada so let's talk kilometers. I'll run 91 octane in my car and it's the 6-speed manual V6. This car is ridiculous on gas I just got 650 km to the tank. I drove it up to Cottage Country and then I commuted in it for 7 days before I need to add gas.

If you're not getting the gas mileage you think you should be getting all I can say is make sure you're running synthetic oil and you could consider switching up to Super gas
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:28 AM   #53
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty McFlew View Post
Its a shame the 4 banger will sound like a Civic.

I fully agree with you man but I think we're going to be getting voted off the island on that fairly soon. I work with a bunch of younger guys that are between 22 and 30 and they all want the turbo 4.

You get to the guys around 35 to 45 they want the V8 or the V6 maybe they don't trust that turbo 4 for reliability, or don't like the sound. But the younger guys are all about it.

Which is good I've got no problem with that any Camaro sold is a good Camaro. And I would much rather see them driving around in a Camaro then some imported piece of crap.
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:18 AM   #54
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

You know nothing if your on here spouting the V6 is better then the I4 in gas mileage, reliability or anything else. I'm not gonna sit here and bash the V6 over my opinions i use facts and the truth is the I4 outshines the V6 in everything except exhaust note. Frankly if your not using premium in your V6 your losing some powerband so do your research. The fun in modding for some is making a slower on paper car faster the SS has a Huge aftermarket. Go get your NA V6 to run 11s with bolt-ons and a tune then talk til then your another forum lurker looking for attention who was upset he couldn't get the V8. So go trade in your V6 get your SS and we'll get on the track sometime.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile

Last edited by Evil-Bee-NH; 10-17-2017 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:39 AM   #55
Need4Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron27 View Post
Strange, my V6 in 70% highway, 30% city, total 400 miles (not full tank), got 29mpg this weekend. On pure highway with no delays I’d bet 32mpg in v6, that’s no city, no backups. Sure, you can peak out at maybe 34mpg with v6 if you measure start to finish while on flat highway, a synthetic benchmark.

I didn’t get 40mpg on flat ground, only got above 40mpg on downhill. Not sure how you averaged so well. There’s stretches at 40mpg, but I think it’d only be possible in a dead highway, no one around. Best I could get is 520 miles on a tank, usually driving city getting about 400 miles on a tank.
Normally, if I'm just cruising not caring about fuel mileage I get right at 32 MPG 100% highway..... 100% street right at 26 MPG (My work commute is 100% street) I did actually try when I got the 41 MPG numbers.

This happened in the mountains between Pittsburgh PA and Atlanta Georgia I-79 and I-77, meaning more is possible if I really tried to but it would be too dangerous. I know it was accurate because I filled up in Wytheville VA and when I made it back to Atlanta I had 3/4's of a tank left (that was 351 miles in basically a quarter of a tank of gas.) You can also see I was doing 75 MPH (in 8th Gear and I was in manual mode as well but I was not hot-rodding) so I was not crawling either.. the way is, you have to know how the car works.. contrary to popular belief, keeping the car at a constant speed with cruise control does NOT always gauruntee you the best fuel mileage. You need to drive according to the condition and flow of the road and traffic.

How you do it is this...

First you have to know how active fuel management works
Second you're going to need to use manual mode
Third .. forget about cruise control, its too inefficient to achieve these numbers.

Active fuel management WILL work in Manual Mode UNTIL THE FIRST TIME YOU DOWNSHIFT why is this important? Because you'll need to switch to manual mode to hold 8th gear, the car is too aggressive at downshifting into 7th and 6th gear when it really doesn't need to.

Do NOT coast ... ANTICIPATE, this means if you're coming upon a long downhill section, look down the road, if there's an uphill section right after it and you coast downhill at the same speed without anticipating the energy needed to climb the upcoming hill, you will lose fuel mileage.. Instead ..slowly accelerate (using gravity to assist you) downhill - ONLY ENOUGH to keep the car running on 4 Cylinders and watch the fuel mileage indicator - you want to keep it at atleast 60 MPG ... When you come to the uphill portion, you will have generally gained so much momentum that you will not need to downshift, or even apply more gas pedal to completely climb and conquer the hill, meaning..I did not apply more gas pedal to climb atleast half of the hill, although I did slowly decelerate - I was still achieving 60 MPG while CLIMBING the hill, because I did not need to apply more fuel (as I was going generally fast enough to overcome the resistance of the hill until I reached the top of it while slowly allowing the car to decelerate without needing to use more than 4 cylendars in 8th gear and not slowing down to a speed below 65 MPH.. if I started going below 65 MPH I would downshift and climb the hill, pop it back in drive to reset active fuel management after I got to the top, and then back into manual mode in 8th gear and repeat the process.

The same applies on flat ground and rolling hills.. If you drive it right, mountains, hills will make absolutely no difference between flat land as long as you anticipate. I got the same mileage on I-85 between Charlotte and Atlanta (rolling hills but much flatter than I-77 / I-79)... If you let the car control it, the car will only anticipate based on the road it is currently driving on, not the road ahead.

You will get light years better fuel mileage driving like that than just keeping your foot on the gas pacing the whole trip out.. but it takes work and you need to be aware of how fast or slow traffic is going around you.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:06 AM   #56
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Normally, if I'm just cruising not caring about fuel mileage I get right at 32 MPG 100% highway..... 100% street right at 26 MPG (My work commute is 100% street) I did actually try when I got the 41 MPG numbers.

This happened in the mountains between Pittsburgh PA and Atlanta Georgia I-79 and I-77, meaning more is possible if I really tried to but it would be too dangerous. I know it was accurate because I filled up in Wytheville VA and when I made it back to Atlanta I had 3/4's of a tank left (that was 351 miles in basically a quarter of a tank of gas.) You can also see I was doing 75 MPH (in 8th Gear and I was in manual mode as well but I was not hot-rodding) so I was not crawling either.. the way is, you have to know how the car works.. contrary to popular belief, keeping the car at a constant speed with cruise control does NOT always gauruntee you the best fuel mileage. You need to drive according to the condition and flow of the road and traffic.

How you do it is this...

First you have to know how active fuel management works
Second you're going to need to use manual mode
Third .. forget about cruise control, its too inefficient to achieve these numbers.

Active fuel management WILL work in Manual Mode UNTIL THE FIRST TIME YOU DOWNSHIFT why is this important? Because you'll need to switch to manual mode to hold 8th gear, the car is too aggressive at downshifting into 7th and 6th gear when it really doesn't need to.

Do NOT coast ... ANTICIPATE, this means if you're coming upon a long downhill section, look down the road, if there's an uphill section right after it and you coast downhill at the same speed without anticipating the energy needed to climb the upcoming hill, you will lose fuel mileage.. Instead ..slowly accelerate (using gravity to assist you) downhill - ONLY ENOUGH to keep the car running on 4 Cylinders and watch the fuel mileage indicator - you want to keep it at atleast 60 MPG ... When you come to the uphill portion, you will have generally gained so much momentum that you will not need to downshift, or even apply more gas pedal to completely climb and conquer the hill, meaning..I did not apply more gas pedal to climb atleast half of the hill, although I did slowly decelerate - I was still achieving 60 MPG while CLIMBING the hill, because I did not need to apply more fuel (as I was going generally fast enough to overcome the resistance of the hill until I reached the top of it while slowly allowing the car to decelerate without needing to use more than 4 cylendars in 8th gear and not slowing down to a speed below 65 MPH.. if I started going below 65 MPH I would downshift and climb the hill, pop it back in drive to reset active fuel management after I got to the top, and then back into manual mode in 8th gear and repeat the process.

The same applies on flat ground and rolling hills.. If you drive it right, mountains, hills will make absolutely no difference between flat land as long as you anticipate. I got the same mileage on I-85 between Charlotte and Atlanta (rolling hills but much flatter than I-77 / I-79)... If you let the car control it, the car will only anticipate based on the road it is currently driving on, not the road ahead.

You will get light years better fuel mileage driving like that than just keeping your foot on the gas pacing the whole trip out.. but it takes work and you need to be aware of how fast or slow traffic is going around you.
Yep nuff said driving with ms. daisy.