Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-13-2018, 05:48 PM   #1
MATTY-1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Phone Holder Under Steering Wheel?

Just picked up the ride this past saturday love the car. Noticed there wasnt a lot of places to put my phone, then i noticed a perfect area right under the steering wheel. Perfection.

Im starting to think it was meant to be there, i just ordered some furniture grip adhesive to put there so the phone doesnt slide out under hard acceleration.

Thought id share, i feel like there was beaming light over me when i found it. I much prefer a nice clean looking interior (glasses mounted on visor, garage door opener on visor, and any plugs or cables tucked away somewhere).

Past:
2008 C6 - heads/cam/boltons
2005 GTO - cam/boltons
MATTY-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:51 PM   #2
Lerch98

Drives: 2017 2SS black on black on black.
When I'm driving this car, the last thing I give a #### about is the stupid phone. The best place for a phone in this car is under the right rear tire.
Lerch98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:20 PM   #3
pjz1082

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
I used that spot for a while. The problem was I'd forget to grab my phone 9 out of 10 times leaving the car. Same issue I had with the storage spot between the backseat. I would get 10' away from my car and realize i forgot my phone...again.
pjz1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:17 PM   #4
The Alien

Drives: 2017 2SS Covertible
I was looking at that spot for my phone as well but I was thinking it was too complicated and risky.

- if between the plastic cover and the steering wheel column, it means the day someone will get in the car and play with the steering height, there is high risk to squeeze your phone out

- another option was to put the phone at the bottom of the plastic but honestly I'm not sure if we have knee airbags here (I didn't verify it yet)

I opted for this, it works awesome for me and not easy to forget:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531182
The Alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:51 PM   #5
biker2k

Drives: 2018 2ss 1le
I keep wanting to take a picture but I need a different phone to di it with...

my solution was simple and works great

pop socket

I have an iPhone 7 plus and I mounted the pop socket holder to the dash

it sit in front of the heated and cooled seats buttons but it not really a big deal
a little glance over nd I can see the phone fine.. ill post pics
biker2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:53 PM   #6
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATTY-1LE View Post
Just picked up the ride this past saturday love the car. Noticed there wasnt a lot of places to put my phone, then i noticed a perfect area right under the steering wheel. Perfection.

Im starting to think it was meant to be there, i just ordered some furniture grip adhesive to put there so the phone doesnt slide out under hard acceleration.

Thought id share, i feel like there was beaming light over me when i found it. I much prefer a nice clean looking interior (glasses mounted on visor, garage door opener on visor, and any plugs or cables tucked away somewhere).
I plan to use that same spot for my garage door opener! It seems like the perfect spot and out of the way.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:30 AM   #7
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
I usually keep it in my pocket but if I do have it out, I stick it on the console by the passenger air vent.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:53 AM   #8
wingchunsifu

Drives: 2017 2SS A8, 2018 Macan GTS
I just drop it in the cup holder.
wingchunsifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:56 AM   #9
mmadden2

Drives: '12 LaCrosse, '14 Encore, '17 2SS
I didn't want anything permanently mounted to the car and I use already vent magnets in our other cars. Our phones already have the metal pieces in their cases to accommodate those magnets so I wanted another magnet mount for the Camaro so the phone cases could stay as they are, but I couldn't find one I liked.

Bought half of the ProClip Console Mount and stuck on a cheapy adhesive based magnetic car mount from Amazon. I consider the ProClip disposable so if this doesn't work well, no big deal. Well it's been 45 days and so far it's worked just great.

I routed the charging cord from the armrest (I'd like to figure out another location to get the power from but so far it's been fine) down the side of the center console trim and up to the magnet area to charge the phone.

I just happen to use the "rugged" version of ZeroLemon Lightning cables and they have metal ends which stick to the magnet when not plugged into the phone, this keeps it looking clean when not in use. It's been working out about as great as I could hope for (except, as I already said, for I would prefer to not have the power coming straight vertically out of the armrest area, that's too bad). Maybe I'll have a stereo shop add an extra 12v outlet under the front dash to fix the ugliness of the existing 12v charging location. But honestly it's working well enough that it's just not that big a problem.

The ProClip does obscure the cooled seat button but it's still possible to reach behind to use it. My wife rides in the car as passenger a lot and she says the mount isn't in her way at all. It's a done deal except for that possible power outlet location move.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:01 AM   #10
biker2k

Drives: 2018 2ss 1le
here are some pics
and that mount is not really permanent
I could pull it off if I had to...

hard to tell but its not in the way of anything other than the seat heat and cooling buttons
Attached Images

biker2k is offline   Reply With Quote