Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-09-2015, 05:26 PM   #15
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
It can't both act as a sound enhancer and redirect airflow to/from the MAF. Sound is compressed air waves. The kind of closed loop feedback he's implying would ruin your ability to sample sound accurately if air is allowed to rush back and fourth from the cabin. Like others kind of alluded to, its like trying to suck air out of an instrument vs playing it by compressing air through it. Sounds like he was perhaps confused. I can see multiple tubes doing this, but to claim one tube does both things doesn't make logical sense.
Good point. That tube is downstream of the MAF sensor. It's highly unlikely they would allow unmetered air to enter the system.
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:17 PM   #16
pilot996

Drives: vrod muscle
I was sold on blue but the more I see this red....
pilot996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:19 PM   #17
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarrzz View Post
Sound waves can and do travel through oncoming air unless that air is oncoming at mach speed. Some of you guys may be confusing the Doppler effect with sound interference where off sync waves cancel each other out.
Looks like I would be one of those guys. Good point.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:53 PM   #18
joemosfet

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
Trunk opening, trunk interior, and trunk trim pieces near hinges look almost the same as Gen5.
I wonder if my fitted mdf sub box will fit in. I had kinda figured it wouldn't, but... maybe?
2014 Stingray Premiere Edition Coupe #142/500 Z51 3LT M7 Laguna Blue, Magride, NPP, Exposed Carbon Fiber Roof, Carbon Fiber Dash, Suede Wrapped Interior

Canceled: 2016 Camaro Coupe 1AK37 2SS Coupe, G7E Garnet Red, BRJ Adrenaline Red Trim, F55 Magnetic Ride, NPP Exhaust, CF5 Sunroof, 56R Gray Split spoke w/ machined face, RN2 LPO Illuminated Bowtie, VYW Premium Floor Mats, W2D LPO Cargo Net
joemosfet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:00 PM   #19
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by soSincerious View Post
The 5.0 mustangs have this feature as well, most people delete it when installing an after market CAI, or even after just a muffler swap.

A lot of attention has been put on keeping the cabin quiet, and the side effect is no longer being able to hear the engine while driving. This helps alleviate that.
One of the first things I did. Ugh.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:18 PM   #20
Stryker Trailwood

Drives: Scion tC - Scion xD – Harley
if the tube is like the others i've seen, there isn't a direct path through the tube into the cabin, it goes through and there is a sort of diaphragm that vibrates, so it is more like a drum that is playing the beat of the intake as it were.

I can't imagine a direct path of air would never get through emissions and safety requirements without a ton of restrictions that would probably cancel out any noise that is getting through anyway. there can't be unmetered or unfiltered air getting into the engine and there has to be no way for any air or vapors to be able to get out of the engine into the cabin/atmosphere
Old 08-09-2015, 09:44 PM   #21
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Why the hell are car makers putting tubes and hoses and sound waves through factory stereos to begin with? Just put less sound insulation between the firewall and interior and be done with it.

Sheesh.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:54 PM   #22
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarrzz View Post
Sound waves can and do travel through oncoming air unless that air is oncoming at mach speed. Some of you guys may be confusing the Doppler effect with sound interference where off sync waves cancel each other out.
I think I read the original explanation wrong.

So what we're basically saying is that this pipe has the following roles:

1) Return path for cabin air to go back into the MAF. But as other said this would technically be considered unmetered air because it's past the MAF sensor. It also creates some serious safety risks if so. I could be wrong, but doesn't pressure normally build up in the crank case of most engines because of unburnt fuel that escapes around the pistons, which gets fed back into the intake manifold to be burnt in the next cycle? Maybe there are filters or something in place or it's impossible due to the direction of air flow but this just sounds like a recipe for carbon monoxide poisoning.

2) Provide a means for engine sound to enter the cabin, going in the opposite direction, from the MAF to the cabin. I'm still unclear if we're talking about raw engine sound vs percussion waves that get run through an electronic sensor to your speakers, or what.

I don't know — we'll have to see what the final product is. New designs and technologies like this are always fun to read up with, so I'm curious.
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:12 PM   #23
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Why the hell are car makers putting tubes and hoses and sound waves through factory stereos to begin with? Just put less sound insulation between the firewall and interior and be done with it.

Sheesh.
Its all about control. Engineers can design a sound tube to allow certain frequencies from a certain location to be enhanced. Removing insulation doesn't do that. Sure, it will be louder but thats not the same as better. Likewise, playing sound through the speakers can either reduce/remove unpleasant sounds through cancellation or enhance the good ones (or both).
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:16 PM   #24
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
I think I read the original explanation wrong.

So what we're basically saying is that this pipe has the following roles:

1) Return path for cabin air to go back into the MAF. But as other said this would technically be considered unmetered air because it's past the MAF sensor. It also creates some serious safety risks if so. I could be wrong, but doesn't pressure normally build up in the crank case of most engines because of unburnt fuel that escapes around the pistons, which gets fed back into the intake manifold to be burnt in the next cycle? Maybe there are filters or something in place or it's impossible due to the direction of air flow but this just sounds like a recipe for carbon monoxide poisoning.

2) Provide a means for engine sound to enter the cabin, going in the opposite direction, from the MAF to the cabin. I'm still unclear if we're talking about raw engine sound vs percussion waves that get run through an electronic sensor to your speakers, or what.

I don't know — we'll have to see what the final product is. New designs and technologies like this are always fun to read up with, so I'm curious.
There is no way air goes from the cabin into the intake tube and into the engine. I can see from the picture, that the air would come in after the MAF, and therefore be un-metered air. Someone else posted that on other cars there is a diaphragm that keeps any air from flowing through the tube, but sound waves would be able to vibrate the diaphragm and be transmitted through the tube (the sound waves). This is a way to pipe (physically, not trough the stereo or speakers) intake noise into the cabin, without any airflow in either direction. If you don't like it, it would be easy to plug it up, and plugging it wouldn't effect anything performance wise.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:28 PM   #25
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
I'm still unclear if we're talking about raw engine sound vs percussion waves that get run through an electronic sensor to your speakers, or what.
The SS has a sound-tube, which provides a path for 'natural' engine sounds to enter the cabin. No 'artificial' trickery via speakers to my knowledge.

The turbo4 will have a speaker-based system, though I don't know if its going to be used to cancel bad frequencies or enhance the good ones (or a combination of the two). I also don't remember what, if anything, the V6 will have. I assume that its going to be the same type of system in the turbo4, but maybe with slightly different tuning.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:31 PM   #26
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
From the press release it sounded like a microphone in the engine bay to pump the engine noise through the speakers...although the wording was super vague.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:33 PM   #27
Tara Martin
Loves Camaros

Drives: Red '79 Z28, '21 Red Hot M6 ZL-1!
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
There is no way air goes from the cabin into the intake tube and into the engine. I can see from the picture, that the air would come in after the MAF, and therefore be un-metered air. Someone else posted that on other cars there is a diaphragm that keeps any air from flowing through the tube, but sound waves would be able to vibrate the diaphragm and be transmitted through the tube (the sound waves). This is a way to pipe (physically, not trough the stereo or speakers) intake noise into the cabin, without any airflow in either direction. If you don't like it, it would be easy to plug it up, and plugging it wouldn't effect anything performance wise.
I bet the sound is switchable according to what mode you're in! That way they can quiet the cabin down by shutting off the added intake vroom sound!

Tara Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:45 AM   #28
amerhash28

Drives: camaros in his dreams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara Martin View Post
I bet the sound is switchable according to what mode you're in! That way they can quiet the cabin down by shutting off the added intake vroom sound!
That would be a nice future.enjoying the engine's roar for showing off the power to your friends or quiet for highway cruising ;all up to you
amerhash28 is offline   Reply With Quote