Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 05-07-2019, 02:14 PM   #1
SS6

Drives: 2017 SS A8
Sluggish Response

Hi there, just new to the forum and relatively new to Camaro. Have had my 17 SS for a few months now and I thought at 455 HP it was going to be a lot peppier than the Golf GTI I traded in.

I noticed that at WOT it is a beast (no contest there) but daily driving feels a bit sluggish for a sports car of this power. Have been reading a lot about it and a lot of people go for a performance throttle body. Even Corvettes w/ the same engine do that.

Anyway in my research was leading me to either Katech, Tony Mamo, or Soler Performance. Slightly inclined to the later, but haven't heard of it other than among Corvette guys, has anyone tried the Soler? What do you think? Or have tried any throttle body at all? What about it?
SS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:27 PM   #2
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Contact Pray Performance about getting your stock one ported, and a tune if you don't care about warranty.
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:33 PM   #3
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS6 View Post
Hi there, just new to the forum and relatively new to Camaro. Have had my 17 SS for a few months now and I thought at 455 HP it was going to be a lot peppier than the Golf GTI I traded in.

I noticed that at WOT it is a beast (no contest there) but daily driving feels a bit sluggish for a sports car of this power. Have been reading a lot about it and a lot of people go for a performance throttle body. Even Corvettes w/ the same engine do that.

Anyway in my research was leading me to either Katech, Tony Mamo, or Soler Performance. Slightly inclined to the later, but haven't heard of it other than among Corvette guys, has anyone tried the Soler? What do you think? Or have tried any throttle body at all? What about it?

Mine is peppy, depending on how I drive it. I have the manual and I can just tap the throttle between gears in regular traffic at speeds below 45mph that will bang my head against the seat. All it takes is a little tap about 1/2 inch on the peddle in Sport Mode. Also the computer picks up on that because if its not a tap it won't punch but will give you a smoother throttle. I'm pretty sure its why we still get decent gas mileage. By your throttle input it determines how it responds. Also my car seems to just respond better in Sport mode than Track mode. Track mode may be more effecting in High speed track racing but I see little use for it in street driving. When I had my run flats I was easily spinning my tires in first and second gear effortlessy just for fun in 1st and second gear just giving the throttle a little tap here and a little tap there. You cant do that in a 4 banger with out flooring it or adding 5 turbos.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:48 PM   #4
mrgoodbytes

Drives: '18 2SS/EU (+Recaros) M6 Red Hot
The different drive modes each have different throttle maps. I believe that track-mode is the one mode where it is most linear with the actual pedal input. Where the others can could be tuned to give a higher throttle actuation on less travel.

I have a theory (not confirmed? but if anyone can, please do) that the traction control will also limit throttle input in certain conditions. E.g. on my SS M6 I feel a delay in throttle response when going through roundabouts where the steering wheel is turned and applying sudden force to the throttle pedal. That would make sense to me, if the car is trying to stop me from doing something stupid

I'm not going to recommend you turn off the traction control but I'm just saying that I feel it does make a difference.
mrgoodbytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:51 PM   #5
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Hmmm.....I test drove a couple 2018 GTI DSGs before I got my '19 SS A10.....the SS felt leaps and bounds faster at all times.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:54 PM   #6
Jsreo

Drives: 2017 2SS Manual
You could also look into a throttle controller but a ported TB is a much better option
Jsreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 04:08 PM   #7
CrazyCatGuy
I'm the cats pajamas baby

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I traded in my Golf R for my SS and I don't think I've ever once thought the Golf felt faster at any point in the powerband. YMMV
Old 05-07-2019, 05:08 PM   #8
SS6

Maybe it is all in my head, but I do not feel much (if any) difference in throttle response between modes. I think one should be able to tell w/o looking at the screen in which mode you currently are. Maybe I should go by the dealer and have them reinstall the stock tune, or maybe there is an update, honestly can't tell the difference in response between modes.

The problem is just tipping-in to gain just a couple mph when passing, also coming off a stop, coming out of a corner, etc. I can push it beyond say 1/3 throttle and it goes but most times it seems like more than I intended. Not linear at all if you know what mean.

I know the GTI can't compare but it just felt faster at low throttle. I miss that.

I think I'll get a throttle body and maybe a controller if necessary later on.

This is the one I think I'll go with (Soler Performance); Has anyone tried it? Not sure if its the "best" as they say but at least it is the prettiest, looks clean. I don't care much how it looks though, just want to make sure it does what it is supposed to do.
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2019, 05:16 PM   #9
John_S

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS
honestly mine is really peppy and the pedal extra responsive when I put the car in competition mode and use the paddle shifters.
John_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:36 PM   #10
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Never heard of that brand at all and would be leery of off brand parts. Also if it is larger than stock in size it might run like crap without a tune, might not.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:43 PM   #11
SS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_S View Post
honestly mine is really peppy and the pedal extra responsive when I put the car in competition mode and use the paddle shifters.
That's what I've been doing so far, paddle shifting and never let it go under 2000 rpm. The problem is in auto, seems like it throws the highest gear it can for any given rpm and speed leaving little torque at the wheels. It cruises at about 1200-1300 rpm and it is hard to get it out up to above 2000 rpm.

I love it in competitive mode, there I love the response. Too much for street driving, I reserve it for open roads to stretch a little.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:08 PM   #12
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I have a ZL1 and in 6th gear it is a tad sluggish when punching it but kicks in and is gone. I think the traction control is a factor in the slight bog when accelerating especially in the higher gears and maybe the drive by throttle wire control. Over the years my 2010 SS had the slight hesitation and my 2016 SS also. Both were manuals. Seems when cars had throttle cables on the TBs we didn’t have any hesitation when accelerating.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:51 PM   #13
Frankie18SS

Drives: 18 Camaro 2SS, 07 Saturn Ion
If you're looking for throttle bodies, there are A LOT of people on this site that have one from Pray Performance. Search this site for reviews and contact info.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=497672
Old 05-08-2019, 06:58 AM   #14
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
[QUOTE=SS6;10512602]That's what I've been doing so far, paddle shifting and never let it go under 2000 rpm. The problem is in auto, seems like it throws the highest gear it can for any given rpm and speed leaving little torque at the wheels. It cruises at about 1200-1300 rpm and it is hard to get it out up to above 2000 rpm.
QUOTE]

THIS. They do that for fuel economy.

OP if you're just cruising at 40 mph you will be in 7th gear. If you give it a little throttle you will still be in 7th gear and of course it will feel sluggish. The reason it feels faster at 1/2 throttle or more is because it drops a bunch of gears. Putting it in manual mode will get rid of it.

Yesterday I was at a stop sign, and as I turned the corner at 1/3rd throttle I paid attention to the shifts, and I was in 3rd by the time I was around the corner at 20mph. I wish I could have it in performance shift all the time
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote