Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-21-2015, 10:33 AM   #99

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
It's a classic Chevy move....Entry level up to top-of-the line....The more offered in between, the more potential customers who can crow about "up-grading"...

You can't take an engine like the V-6 which represented the vast majority of Camaro sales and just kick it to the curb because something else comes along....GM has developed this new V-6 and other variants including a TT....You could argue that the LT1 isn't needed if they used the TT-V6...It may very well be added to the Camaro choices at some point, but it won't mean that the V-8 will not be offered..

The V-6 has been the number one seller and will continue to do well...
90503 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:39 AM   #100
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
It's a classic Chevy move....Entry level up to top-of-the line....The more offered in between, the more potential customers who can crow about "up-grading"...

You can't take an engine like the V-6 which represented the vast majority of Camaro sales and just kick it to the curb because something else comes along....GM has developed this new V-6 and other variants including a TT....You could argue that the LT1 isn't needed if they used the TT-V6...It may very well be added to the Camaro choices at some point, but it won't mean that the V-8 will not be offered..

The V-6 has been the number one seller and will continue to do well...
It's a good idea to keep both for a couple years to see where buyer preferences are. I am sure if the Turbo 4 sells twice the rate of the V6 then you can say byebye to the V6, but to drop it right off the bat would be taking a big gamble with the potential to lose customers over to Ford which still offers the V6.
It would be like dropping the v8 if they put the twin turbo
v6 in the Camaro, too big a chance it would bite them in the ass.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:50 AM   #101
xgnxs

Drives: 2005 Cobalt Base - 5 speed
I can see the average buyer "stepping up" to the V6 since it has more horsepower (less torque not even being a concern - most people know horsepower and that's it) while not wanting to pay the extra for an SS. As has been stated many times, the average person is not an enthusiast and will never see this or any other car forum, and the best selling camaros are nicely optioned V6s. Could the best selling 6th gen camaros be nicely optioned turbo 4s? Sure. But again, I can see the average person stepping up.
xgnxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:03 AM   #102

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
It's a good idea to keep both for a couple years to see where buyer preferences are. I am sure if the Turbo 4 sells twice the rate of the V6 then you can say byebye to the V6, but to drop it right off the bat would be taking a big gamble.
Pretty much for the last 5 years the V-6 Camaro has outsold the V-8 by 2 to 1....yet the V-8 is in no danger of being discontinued. If the V-6, or any engine, sells in reasonable numbers, it will be made....

Even if the I-4 does outsell the V-6 by twice as much, it won't be enough reason to discontinue it.
90503 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:36 AM   #103
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Pretty much for the last 5 years the V-6 Camaro has outsold the V-8 by 2 to 1....yet the V-8 is in no danger of being discontinued. If the V-6, or any engine, sells in reasonable numbers, it will be made....

Even if the I-4 does outsell the V-6 by twice as much, it won't be enough reason to discontinue it.
There are other reasons other than sales to keep the V8, but with two engines close to the same performance and economy it would be more logical to keep the best seller. If the sales are close I think both engines will stay.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:45 AM   #104
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post

I'm saying, I would personally be pretty happy spending 3k on the 4 cyl to run mid to high 12s, rather than 8-9k on a v6. This would be MY personal preference over the v6.
Just my opinion, but I believe this generation, we will see bolt on/tuned/tires V6ers hitting very high 12s like the Mustang V6 has done in the previous generation. With 350+ HP (after some mods and a tune), and a little weight reduction, the new V6 will have the same, if not a hair better weight/HP ratio than the current L99 SS. If the V6 really does lose around 250lbs over the current base V6, it won't need any weight reduction to have the same weight/HP ratio.

Nitrous/FI V6ers should see high 11s to mid 12s easily.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:05 PM   #105
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
This thread is refreshing me.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:14 PM   #106
csw.live

Maybe GM will offer some type of Stage 1 upgrade for the turbo 4...

Didn't they do that with the Cobalt SS?
csw.live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:14 PM   #107
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Eh...

I apparently kicked a hornets nest...

So ya i'm not a fan of the 4 cylinder myself thats all i'm saying i know they are fast when tuned the arguements been made back and forth in this thread i started. Sorry mods didn't mean it to get that heated on the subject. My honest opinion and it's just that an opinion wether you deem it right or wrong is your problem is that the V6 was handed it's ass in the 5th Gen release because it was near impossible to find a tuner for it the LLT with the Bosch ECU it killed the mod market for the 5th Gen V6 and i know we've seen awesome numbers from SC/TT and Nitrous out of it on both the LLT and easier to tune LFX platforms but had their been more tuning options on release there would have been less hate towards the V6 overall coming into this generation of camaro. I wanna know what the word is on this i think it would settle alot of peoples nerves knowing they didn't screw the V6 out of the gate again i hope someone from GM will chime in.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:34 PM   #108
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Evil I don't think it's gotten out of hand, just a lot of discussions going on... What perplexes me is all the hate for the V6. I mean the SS guys don't like it and the Turbo 4 guys don't like it, I have never said there shouldn't be a 4 cylinder or V8 Camaro but others say there shouldn't be a V6. I would welcome even more engine choices. I was actually wishing they would offer a 400hp V8 option for the LT models. But I guess that would open up a bigger can of worms...
Old 05-21-2015, 03:27 PM   #109
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Evil I don't think it's gotten out of hand, just a lot of discussions going on... What perplexes me is all the hate for the V6. I mean the SS guys don't like it and the Turbo 4 guys don't like it, I have never said there shouldn't be a 4 cylinder or V8 Camaro but others say there shouldn't be a V6. I would welcome even more engine choices. I was actually wishing they would offer a 400hp V8 option for the LT models. But I guess that would open up a bigger can of worms...
Haters are gonna hate sadly. The FI 4 Cylinder guys will always hate the 6 cylinder same with the V8 guys because there's less of a gap between the 6 and 8 then the 4 and 8 i'm just hoping GM decided to make the ECU's all uniform this time and not screw us all. Frankly the 6 cylinder that is easily as tuneable as the 8 and 4 would help drive everyones sales regardless of engine.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:34 PM   #110
suzook

Drives: camaro
While I understand having choices, but I don't understand getting a v6, or i4, then dumping all that $ for more HP, instead of just getting the v8 in the first place.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:09 PM   #111
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
GM does not condone tuning engine control units and anyone who believes otherwise must start sharing whatever they are smoking.

"Nuff said.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 04:18 PM   #112
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
Haters are gonna hate sadly. The FI 4 Cylinder guys will always hate the 6 cylinder same with the V8 guys because there's less of a gap between the 6 and 8 then the 4 and 8 i'm just hoping GM decided to make the ECU's all uniform this time and not screw us all. Frankly the 6 cylinder that is easily as tuneable as the 8 and 4 would help drive everyones sales regardless of engine.
Haters ARE gonna hate, but don't put me in that box, I like them all! And I'm not the only one.

You have a I4 and want to park it next to my 6 or 8 or blown 800hp BA Special, that's cool. We'll sit and talk about them all day long as long as you're not a donk.

If you are a donk with a loaded ZL1 that thinks your exhaust don't smell like everyone elses, keep on driving. Don't even have the time of day for you.

(just a generalization, not aimed at anyone in particular)

Last edited by Mr Twisty; 05-21-2015 at 05:53 PM.
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote