Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-27-2015, 12:07 AM   #1
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Line Locks

Has anyone ever played with a car with brake line locks? Not saying I'm definitely going to install them on my SS, but it sounds like fun. Not so much to just sit there and create smoke but to get the rear wheels up to serious speed, release the locks, and get some serious acceleration without dropping the clutch at high RPMs. Brake torquing is really difficult with a stick and of course this would burn up your rear brake pads if done without line locks.

Just a thought. Anyone have experience with them?
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:19 AM   #2
joemosfet

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
I hear the Mustang GT PP includes a line lock functionality.

On my old Charger, it was as simple as adding another computer module to get linelock functionality.

I wonder if a similar thing can be done here. Brake standing a manual isn't the easiest thing in the world.
2014 Stingray Premiere Edition Coupe #142/500 Z51 3LT M7 Laguna Blue, Magride, NPP, Exposed Carbon Fiber Roof, Carbon Fiber Dash, Suede Wrapped Interior

Canceled: 2016 Camaro Coupe 1AK37 2SS Coupe, G7E Garnet Red, BRJ Adrenaline Red Trim, F55 Magnetic Ride, NPP Exhaust, CF5 Sunroof, 56R Gray Split spoke w/ machined face, RN2 LPO Illuminated Bowtie, VYW Premium Floor Mats, W2D LPO Cargo Net
joemosfet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:40 AM   #3
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemosfet View Post
I hear the Mustang GT PP includes a line lock functionality.

On my old Charger, it was as simple as adding another computer module to get linelock functionality.

I wonder if a similar thing can be done here. Brake standing a manual isn't the easiest thing in the world.
Yes you are right, it has the capability

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...of-track-apps/

Would be awesome if it's one of the surprises we don't yet know about the 6th gen!

Becky? Does the SS get a line lock setup?
Old 09-27-2015, 12:46 AM   #4
GTIanZ28

Drives: 2016 V6 RS Camaro 6MT
I just watched this on Barrett Jackson auctions. Seemed crazy but, hit a few buttons on the touch screen and you can smoke tires all day in the mustang.

I'm seriously surprised by the inclusion of such a feature. Ford obviously feels confident in the reliability of their running gear (i.e. Warranty).
Old 09-27-2015, 12:47 AM   #5
brutusvk

Drives: future 2016 SS
Unless your really plan on a decent amount of drag racing, don't bother. Especially with street tires or even drag radials.
brutusvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 06:19 AM   #6
Dr. Love2
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 SS;2010 Camaro SS/RS; 2015 Z06
IMO, leave the car alone. The engineers have designed a great street car with drag racing and track capabilities. My husband loves to mod and then one mod leads to another and then something tears up that has to be fixed then another thing. It is a never ending vicious cycle. Not only that, but when you mod a car you bring down the value of the car if you decide to sell it. I have seen it time and time again at the track. If you want a car that is awesome, get all of the options including the dealer installed six piston brakes. I keep my cars stock and they are all awesome. If you want to build a faster car, then get a cheap piece of crap light weight car and start from scratch with the same money that you would buy a brand new car with and mod it.
Dr. Love2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:34 AM   #7
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIanZ28 View Post
I just watched this on Barrett Jackson auctions. Seemed crazy but, hit a few buttons on the touch screen and you can smoke tires all day in the mustang.

I'm seriously surprised by the inclusion of such a feature. Ford obviously feels confident in the reliability of their running gear (i.e. Warranty).
Well, if you think about what goes on when you lock it, the only thing that should be getting abnormal wear is your rear tires. The running gear is operating as if you're driving.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:59 AM   #8
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Not so much to just sit there and create smoke but to get the rear wheels up to serious speed, release the locks, and get some serious acceleration without dropping the clutch at high RPMs.

Just a thought. Anyone have experience with them?
You have been watching too many movies. That is not what a line lock is for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:11 AM   #9
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
You have been watching too many movies. That is not what a line lock is for.

Yes, I know exactly what they're for.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:17 AM   #10
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
So where you getting serious acceleration from? What you get in that case is a long burnout.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:25 AM   #11
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
So where you getting serious acceleration from? What you get in that case is a long burnout.

I am also curious about serious acceleration with burnouts, if your tires have broken loose this equates to less acceleration.

They do have a thing called launch control, that is made for serious acceleration.

I think they will be putting line lock into the other variants coming out. Al O at the Camaro Fest made a statement about how going with the Electronic E-Brake will allow them to do some things in the future, and I think part of that is Line Lock, though I understand an electronic E-brake is not necessary for this, i think the same technology will be used for the line lock that they used for electronic E-brake.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:33 AM   #12
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
I am also curious about serious acceleration with burnouts, if your tires have broken loose this equates to less acceleration.

They do have a thing called launch control, that is made for serious acceleration.

I think they will be putting line lock into the other variants coming out. Al O at the Camaro Fest made a statement about how going with the Electronic E-Brake will allow them to do some things in the future.
Agreed. Line locks = smoky cloud shenanigans.

Maybe you are thinking of launch control. For... launching (accelerating) quickly.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:27 AM   #13
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
I had a line lock installed on my '98 SS with the only intent being to save my rear brakes whiel doing burnouts at the strip during my drag racing days. I never had occasion to use it for any other purpose.
It was very easy to engage with a couple of foot pumps on the brake and flicking a toggle switch that I had mounted in a very out of the way location. It was virtually impossible to see it. No one would ever know the car had a line lock unless they were told, or saw it in action.
The only downside was that I hit the toggle switch one day by accident while driving and after 2 applications of the brakes (not knowing I hit the toggle), the car wouldn't move 'cuz the front brakes were locked. Thankfully, it didn't take much time for me to figure out what had happened!

Best regards,

Elie
Old 09-27-2015, 12:21 PM   #14
mcsoul

Drives: Want a gen 6
I'm pretty sure the g6 SS will do long smokey burnouts at will. Albeit with some eventual forward momentum.
mcsoul is offline   Reply With Quote