Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 09-26-2015, 12:29 PM   #57
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Small pet peeve of mine.

Don't mix induction and cylinders with configuration and cylinders.

I or L for line or inline 4.

T4 and V6/V8? No

L4, V6, V8? Yes

or T4, NA6 or NA8? Acceptable

My apologies. Can't help myself.

Thank you for understanding
Of all the things being discussed in this forum...you choose this as your point of contention... lol

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 01:19 PM   #58
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
I mix them up. Generally I do so to match my reply to another post because I think it makes my reply more understandable, at least for the original poster.

I doubt I will reform but one never knows. I also avoid using the NA initials because every time I see them my brain sees "NAH."

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 02:33 PM   #59
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserO2Evils View Post
Of all the things being discussed in this forum...you choose this as your point of contention... lol
Not a point of contention. Just expressing something. I know what anyone on here means when they say Turbo or Turbo 4 or yes even T4. But we all refer to the engine configuration when we discuss the 6 or 8 but when we bring up the 4 we forget configuration.
Old 09-26-2015, 03:20 PM   #60
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
To where?
To get over it....lol......We're gonna mess it up every time.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:41 PM   #61
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by laborsmith View Post
Um, as to if the T4 or V6 were priced the same, would I elect the V6? No, nothing against the V6 but if not for the T4 I would have no interest in another Camaro, and I have owned three.

Of course the T4 will not sound like the V8, but neither will the V6. I know from experience a well designed exhaust can allow a turbo four to deliver good low rumble sound. Not as deep as a V8 but definitely pleasing to the ear. In other words I contest your no matter what statement based on personal experience not on some posts on another forum.

As I have posted in other threads, I am oriented toward forced induction equipped engines therefore I admit I am prejudiced. But hearing in person is needed for believing so if you are within a days drive of Metro Detroit I am quite willing to meet you and let you listen for yourself.

Laborsmith
I never said the V6 would sound like the V8 either. I never implied that ever. At a low to mid rpm it can certainly be mistaken for a V8 if done right, but we all know overall there is a big difference. But to my ears, its V6 over T4, or I4, or whatever Number3 wants us to call them. The V6 can sound like ass, or it can sound really good (similar to what you are saying about the turbo4). I've heard lots of V6 setups in person, and I also created the V6 exhaust thread on Camaro5 that has like 200 hundred thousand page hits, so I have a good idea of what sounds good and what doesn't.

I have also heard some nice sounding 4 bangers, but it seems to be even more difficult (again to my ears) to make an inline 4 sound really good, and that can be hard enough on the V6 (the V8s have it easy!). NPP on the V6 seems to put that problem to bed for those that don't want to mess with the sound like I did on my 5th gen.

As for preferences...you prefer the 2.0. I prefer the V6 (even though I bought the SS lol). There is no argument in that, so I'm not going to argue it. What I will argue are those that think the V6 is some kind of red-headed step child.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:02 PM   #62
laborsmith

I do not see the V6 being the red-headed step-child. Far from it.

I notice what you said about exhaust "sound" and I fully agree.

I do not see the turbo four appealing to the budget shoppers at all because the budget shopper will lean toward non exotic tech (I know forced induction is not exotic but I believe a budget shopper will not).

I still believe the turbo four introduction delay is related to EPA/CAFE but since I have little understanding of these two I can not defend my belief. In this I disagree with Number 33 who seems to contend the complexity of ramp up is the reason, but, it is quite possible he is totally correct.

Laborsmith
Old 09-26-2015, 05:13 PM   #63
2000Firehawk

Drives: 2000Firehawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserO2Evils View Post
I would def take the T4 over V6. Tons of possibility.
The brand spankin new, V6 , is awesome:

The 3.6 liter V6 LGX engine is GM’s new high-feature V6 engine. It is a clean-sheet design and shares little with the 3.6L six-cylinder LFX engine it replaces.
The LGX sets benchmarks for efficiency, refinement and durability compared to the LFX it replaces. LGX highlights include:
Aluminum deep-skirt cylinder block from the LFX mill
An enlarged bore of 95 mm (compared to 94mm on the LFX)
Enlarged bore centers of 103mm (compared to 106mm on the LFX)
An all-new cylinder head design
A forged steel crankshaft
High-strength connecting rods and pistons
Oil-spray piston cooling
Active Fuel Management (cylinder deactivation) and Auto Stop-Start system generate fuel savings of 9 percent compared to the 3.6L V6 LFX
Improved Variable Valve Timing (VVT) with an ‘intermediate park’ feature
Reshaped piston tops to promote a better mix of the air and fuel during the direct injection process
Relocated oil pump under the cylinder block and inside the oil pan
Acoustic engine cover
Stronger, stiffer aluminum block with increased structure in the bulkheads for superior rigidity
Tough, refined rotating assembly with a stiff forged-steel crankshaft, friction-reducing polymer-coated pistons and strong high-copper-content, sinter-forged connecting rods
New four-cam phasing system with intermediate park technology that enhances efficiency by enabling late inlet valve closing in certain conditions
All-new, patented “targeted” cooling system that provides strategic cooling of the engine’s hottest areas while simultaneously fostering faster warm-up to enhance efficiency
New, higher-flow cylinder heads that enhance direct injection performance and feature integrated exhaust manifolds
Revised, simplified timing drive system with cushioned chain sprockets contributing to quieter engine operation
All-new lubrication system with a variable-displacement, two-stage oil pump that enhances efficiency. It is located inside the oil pan, which contributes to greater noise abatement
2000Firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 05:44 PM   #64
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
A lot of people here don't realize the amount of people that mod cars compared to the people that do not is a drop in the bucket. Majority of buyers looking for decent performance with out buying a v8 will buy the v6, its a no brainer when comparing numbers for the layman.
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 05:58 PM   #65
laborsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilirg View Post
A lot of people here don't realize the amount of people that mod cars compared to the people that do not is a drop in the bucket. Majority of buyers looking for decent performance with out buying a v8 will buy the v6, its a no brainer when comparing numbers for the layman.
True that, in both contentions.

Laborsmith
Old 09-26-2015, 06:08 PM   #66
GTIanZ28

Drives: 2016 V6 RS Camaro 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kain279 View Post
IMO the V6 will be the "bastard" no one wants in this generation.

Sure, stock vs stock it will be a little faster than the 2.0 but I doubt we will see much of an aftermarket develop for the V6 (just like last time) and it will be very easy to add power to the 2.0t. Anyone that knows what they are doing and is planning on not staying stock for long will know this and if they are forced to decide between just the I4 and V6 the choice is simple.
Aweful lot of people here have ordered the V6. I think you might be surprised.

I have a turbo car now. 70,000 mi on the clock and have spent $3000 in maintenance this past year.

Only "mod" was a stage 1 tune.

I realize that I'm talking VW vs Chevy. But, there is no way in hell i'm going forced induction again. I might do a few bolt ons but, if the v6 isn't enough I'll go SS.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:21 PM   #67
laborsmith

Good for you. I on the other hand tend toward forced induction. Proof, if needed, I had a Vortech 5 installed on a 2003 Cavalier and drove it for seven years.

Laborsmith
Old 09-26-2015, 07:36 PM   #68
GTIanZ28

Drives: 2016 V6 RS Camaro 6MT
I want a car that handles/performs well out of the box. Sure a lot of you guys will be chasing the biggest numbers, the fastest car, and seeking bragging rights.

The V6 will appeal to those of us who aren't out to be boy racers. Per Chevy's numbers the V6 Camaro is the equivalent of the BMW 235i at a $10,000 lower price point.

Forget the mustang comparisons. I'm looking squarely at the euro cars.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:18 PM   #69
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000Firehawk View Post

The 3.6 liter V6 LGX engine is GM’s new high-feature V6 engine. It is a clean-sheet design and shares little with the 3.6L six-cylinder LFX engine it replaces.
The LGX sets benchmarks for efficiency, refinement and durability compared to the LFX it replaces. LGX highlights include:
Oil-spray piston cooling
Active Fuel Management (cylinder deactivation) and Auto Stop-Start system generate fuel savings of 9 percent compared to the 3.6L V6 LFX
Reshaped piston tops to promote a better mix of the air and fuel during the direct injection process
Acoustic engine cover
Stronger, stiffer aluminum block with increased structure in the bulkheads for superior rigidity
Tough, refined rotating assembly with a stiff forged-steel crankshaft, friction-reducing polymer-coated pistons and strong high-copper-content, sinter-forged connecting rods
New four-cam phasing system with intermediate park technology that enhances efficiency by enabling late inlet valve closing in certain conditions
All-new, patented “targeted” cooling system that provides strategic cooling of the engine’s hottest areas while simultaneously fostering faster warm-up to enhance efficiency
New, higher-flow cylinder heads that enhance direct injection performance and feature integrated exhaust manifolds
Revised, simplified timing drive system with cushioned chain sprockets contributing to quieter engine operation
All-new lubrication system with a variable-displacement, two-stage oil pump that enhances efficiency. It is located inside the oil pan, which contributes to greater noise abatement
Cool story. And...?
The Turbocharged 4 cylinder has plenty of its own "awesome" tech. The difference is, that with mods, the 4 will be a beast. Thus my preference, if I ever considered anything less than a V8(which I wouldnt).

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:03 AM   #70
RenegadeSS

Drives: Camaro LLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000Firehawk View Post

Oil-spray piston cooling
Acoustic engine cover
In which the same technology is in the ecotec series of engines. Remember that all that tech you mentioned was developed in the ecotec line of engines.