Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-19-2015, 07:35 AM   #15
jaymsu
Yeti's Daddy

Drives: ATS-V, Prowler, M6 V10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post
Yes, they are worth it and a great option.... IF YOU PLAN TO TRACK YOUR CAR ON A REGULAR BASIS...... otherwise don't waste your money.

Exactly what I was going to say.
I'm going to track my car about 6-8 times a year, so I'm going to order it, but if your car is not going to see road course often, there is no need. (Just hope it's not too expensive option.)

DREWZ SS: it is perfectly normal for performance cars (look at Corvette for example) to have stronger brakes for front. Indeed, I thought it was strange for Camaro to have 4 piston all around.

Last edited by jaymsu; 07-19-2015 at 07:49 AM.
jaymsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:53 AM   #16
ericspt

Drives: '14 Z51 C7 SC'd, '14 S4, '15 SQ5
That is still with steel rotors?

That is pretty expensive considering you can buy a 4 wheel Z06 setup for the C7 for 3K, including all 4 calipers, pads, and rotors in steel from GM Parts Warehouse.

The ZL1 and C7 Z06 use the same caliper so seems to be you could do the fronts along for under 2K yourself.

That would make me wonder if the booster and master cylinder itself is different too.

If its just the calipers, rotors, and pads that are different I'd do it myself afterwards. If its master cylinder, booster, ABS system changes then the factory makes more sense.
ericspt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:30 PM   #17
DREWZ SS

Drives: 14 Camaro - 92 Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro19 View Post
If it's not a factory option I don't want it
for real tho^
DREWZ SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:30 AM   #18
jaymsu
Yeti's Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro19 View Post
If it's not a factory option I don't want it
Quote:
Originally Posted by DREWZ SS View Post
for real tho^
Just curious. Why do you think it's not factory option? It's shown in the build option list, which makes me believe it will come from the factory with 6 piston. If it is installed at dealership, they would waste perfectly good 4 piston caliper every time they replace it. (GM won't put the calipers that were taken out of one car in another car. Dealers may be able to sell it as 'used' or 'refurbished' at discounted price than same one in new condition, but why would they do that?)

I've been to many different car assembly plants, including LGR where Camaro will be built. Putting a different caliper, per the build order, on otherwise same type of car isn't that hard. It doesn't cost them any more labor cost - just higher material cost (comparing 4 piston vs 6 piston). If they have to swap out at the dealer, then it will cost them a lot more labor (to take out old part and put in new one), and waste of parts.

So.... I'm quite positive 6 piston will come from factory, if you order the car with with 6 piston.

Last edited by jaymsu; 07-20-2015 at 01:36 PM. Reason: stupid typo.... lol
Old 07-20-2015, 09:31 AM   #19
jaymsu
Yeti's Daddy

I don't have any experience with Gen5 ZL1's 6 piston, but I used to have C6Z06. Those 6 pistons can really stop you....FAST! I would love the 6 piston with steel rotors on the Gen6 Camaro. (Carbon rotors are great, but when you have to replace it, you wouldn't like the bill)
Old 07-20-2015, 09:38 AM   #20
jaymsu
Yeti's Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericspt View Post
That is still with steel rotors?

That is pretty expensive considering you can buy a 4 wheel Z06 setup for the C7 for 3K, including all 4 calipers, pads, and rotors in steel from GM Parts Warehouse.

The ZL1 and C7 Z06 use the same caliper so seems to be you could do the fronts along for under 2K yourself.

That would make me wonder if the booster and master cylinder itself is different too.

If its just the calipers, rotors, and pads that are different I'd do it myself afterwards. If its master cylinder, booster, ABS system changes then the factory makes more sense.
I'm hoping it will be under 2K for this option. ($1,200ish...) It's not like they are replacing 2 piston cheap caliper with 6 piston Brembo unit. They are saving 4 piston Brembo and putting 6 piston Brembo, so the difference shouldn't be too big... I hope.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:44 AM   #21
savage99ss
Im the boss

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS
If I ordered this option, I would request to keep the 4 piston Brembo's. Why let the dealer keep a part that you paid for?
Camaro SS #0785 - 1 of 280 SS's that were pewter, auto, and T-Top - SLP Headers, LM1,Y-pipe, high flow cats, SLP Lid
savage99ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:27 PM   #22
Waiting46

Drives: 1981 silver corvette,Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by savage99ss View Post
If I ordered this option, I would request to keep the 4 piston Brembo's. Why let the dealer keep a part that you paid for?
More like a core charge; they've already deducted the value of the core from the price

wouldn't expect them to include the missing piece of the roof if you order a sun roof
Waiting46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:11 PM   #23
savage99ss
Im the boss

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting46 View Post
More like a core charge; they've already deducted the value of the core from the price

wouldn't expect them to include the missing piece of the roof if you order a sun roof
Bc this is a dealer installed part. If you opted the dealer to install your moonroof you could keep the cutout if you wanted. If you bought a set of wheels as dealer installed, would you give them your factory wheels?
Camaro SS #0785 - 1 of 280 SS's that were pewter, auto, and T-Top - SLP Headers, LM1,Y-pipe, high flow cats, SLP Lid
savage99ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:31 PM   #24
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymsu View Post
Just curious. Why do you think it's not factory option? It's shown in the build option list, which makes me believe it will come from the factory with 6 piston. If it is installed at dealership, they would waste perfectly good 4 piston caliper every time they replace it. (GM won't put the calipers that were taken out of one car in another car. Dealers may be able to sell it as 'used' or 'refurbished' at discounted price than same one in new condition, but why would they do that?)
LPO = Dealer installed options

Both kits say they are LPO's, so they would not be factory installed kits. I'm sure some variants will have them from the factory, but the lower trims that want more performance will have the dealer installed options.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:34 PM   #25
jaymsu
Yeti's Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxChris View Post
LPO = Dealer installed options

Both kits say they are LPO's, so they would not be factory installed kits. I'm sure some variants will have them from the factory, but the lower trims that want more performance will have the dealer installed options.
Hmmmm.... if that's really the case, then I'll just buy the parts, install it myself and sell the 4 piston on the internet.

Or maybe, I'll just use what comes with the car, and replace it with 6 piston one when it's time to replace calipers. (yeah,,, track days are pretty hard on brakes, especially on front ones)

Last edited by jaymsu; 07-20-2015 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:04 AM   #26
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
Grossly overpriced. $3175. Should be $995-$1595 option. Car already comes with 4 piston the 6 pistons are a couple of hundred more on ebay.
Ex: my '06 GTO came with 2 piston front 1 piston rear. In 2013 I went on amazon and ebay and did silver 6 piston/4 piston ctsv 2 calipers with 14" camaro SS rotors f and 13.4" z06 rotors rear bohnmann caliper brackets hawk hps pads and a pin kit for $2100!. Prices have gone up n the calpers since then but MSRP of $3175 is ridiculous.
When I get my SS I will go to the parts counter and buy the factory GM 6 piston brackets, buy the calipers and pads online and paint the rear calipers red to match.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:10 AM   #27
joemosfet

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
^ I agree on the price, but would like folks to realize that its not just new calipers, it does include new rotors, and a few other bits.
2014 Stingray Premiere Edition Coupe #142/500 Z51 3LT M7 Laguna Blue, Magride, NPP, Exposed Carbon Fiber Roof, Carbon Fiber Dash, Suede Wrapped Interior

Canceled: 2016 Camaro Coupe 1AK37 2SS Coupe, G7E Garnet Red, BRJ Adrenaline Red Trim, F55 Magnetic Ride, NPP Exhaust, CF5 Sunroof, 56R Gray Split spoke w/ machined face, RN2 LPO Illuminated Bowtie, VYW Premium Floor Mats, W2D LPO Cargo Net
joemosfet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:18 PM   #28
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
If I were getting a Gen 6 SS there are 3 options I consider mandatory.. MRC, NPP and the 6 piston caliper upgrade. Too bad it's not a factory option because it probably would be cheaper and definitely a worthy upgrade. I just don't trust the dealer goons even on a simple brake swap.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote