Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 09-30-2015, 07:13 AM   #141
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
Matt i had single spin through sweepers with the stock clutch differential from the beginning. although from a straight line, both tires got equal power
i went with the truetrac right away. it's been great. i can throttle steer quite easily.

now i read somewhere, buried in the Eaton site, that the only weakness with the truetrac is when coming out of the water box. the issue can be that one tire bites first, due to the large difference in the tire speed the truetrac may not be able to apply torque to the spinning tire. it may cause excessive wear to the truetrac case.

since i can no longer find it, this may not be an issue.......
Old 09-30-2015, 09:01 AM   #142
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by h018871 View Post
Matt i had single spin through sweepers with the stock clutch differential from the beginning. although from a straight line, both tires got equal power
i went with the truetrac right away. it's been great. i can throttle steer quite easily.

now i read somewhere, buried in the Eaton site, that the only weakness with the truetrac is when coming out of the water box. the issue can be that one tire bites first, due to the large difference in the tire speed the truetrac may not be able to apply torque to the spinning tire. it may cause excessive wear to the truetrac case.

since i can no longer find it, this may not be an issue.......
Thanks, that is good to hear it worked for you. I will update over the winter as I have down time for the next 6 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Oak View Post
Is that not a warrantable concern?
To a point, yes....But tracking your car voids the warranty. Double edged sword, so I will just upgrade the diff

Matt
Old 10-12-2015, 08:51 PM   #143
jamestown

Drives: 2014 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
Thanks, that is good to hear it worked for you. I will update over the winter as I have down time for the next 6 months.

To a point, yes....But tracking your car voids the warranty. Double edged sword, so I will just upgrade the diff

Matt
Hey Matt,

I have had personal experience not running friction modifier, and it certainly increases diff lock up significantly. Possibly worth experimenting with amount added etc if you arn't feeling spendy. But to be honest I still miss the quaife out of my last car, it was just so predictable, smooth, and consistent (but a bit noisy) in comparison to the clutch packs in the ss.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:20 AM   #144
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestown View Post
Hey Matt,

I have had personal experience not running friction modifier, and it certainly increases diff lock up significantly. Possibly worth experimenting with amount added etc if you arn't feeling spendy. But to be honest I still miss the quaife out of my last car, it was just so predictable, smooth, and consistent (but a bit noisy) in comparison to the clutch packs in the ss.
Thanks!....I am trying to make arrangements to get to the track one last time this year on Friday. If, I do I plan to drain some of the mixed fluid and put fresh in with out the modifier.

Dealer has also offered to look at it for me, but track day beats sitting at the dealer so I may try it myself first!

Thanks,
Matt
Old 10-14-2015, 06:53 AM   #145
STONE SS

Drives: 2010 SS IOM
Quote:
Thanks!....I am trying to make arrangements to get to the track one last time this year on Friday. If, I do I plan to drain some of the mixed fluid and put fresh in with out the modifier.

Dealer has also offered to look at it for me, but track day beats sitting at the dealer so I may try it myself first!

Thanks,
Matt
I am seriously contemplating doing this before my next track weekend also. Very interested in hearing your results.
STONE SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:50 AM   #146
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Well, I didn't make it to the track....so two local Detroit based automotive photographers ( @kcoxphoto and @izthistaken ) and I hooked up yesterday for a photo shoot with my 1LE and my Jeep. I am very happy with the initial photos they sent me.

All photos owned by kcox and I, blah blah legal stuff.....but feel free to wallpaper!

All mods in my build thread in signature below.

More to come,
Matt
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2015, 09:07 PM   #147
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Drives: 2017 NFG 1SS 1LE
Sweet pics!

SigPic by Hazman
Demon War Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:49 PM   #148
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

I haven't been keeping this updated so I need to add the following:

Borla Exhaust: Sooooooo much better sounding that the NPP, which I want sure was possible
EATON Tru-Trac: HOLY SMOKES! this is what the car should have come with.
Z/28 wheels: Yes, once again I will have them.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:45 PM   #149
Stormcloak
slower than you

Drives: 2012 C6 Z06
Thanks for this journal, it's been quite educational and given me some good points to think about as I start tweaking my car a bit. Can you elaborate a bit more on the decision to go with 'vette front calipers, was this a direct bolt in solution, rotor fitment, etc?
Old 11-12-2015, 08:38 AM   #150
Burt
Cone Killer

Drives: 2012 SS
Which Borla setup did you go with? I saw that they're making a 2.75" ATAK with quad tips, but I haven't seen anybody running it.

Selling off my remaining wheels, tires, 27mm front sway bar, and MGW shift knob. Get them out of my house before my wife puts me out!
Burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:54 PM   #151
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Matt, unless I missed it from another post, did you make it to the track with the Z/28 suspension? I am looking forward to your feedback!
Old 11-14-2015, 05:34 AM   #152
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Gentlemen,

I just read your questions above and I will give you a brief answer as I am running to PURE TUNING to make a few passes on the Dyno at 8:30 this morning. I will answer in more detail later

C7/Z06 Calipers are the evolution of the CTS-V/ZL1 caliper. The casting is the same for all 3. The Z06 caliper gets a vented piston (-30c) cooler and slightly better clear coat (prevents browsing with heat). The caliper is 100% bolt on to the Gen 5 Camaro knuckle. You need a ZL1 or CTS-V front brake hose /line to install them and the Gen 2 CTS-V dual cast or Gen 2 CTS-V/ZL1 2 piece front rotor. The dual cast is 2lbs lighter per side.......but on the CTS-V there were warranty complaints from the rotors clicking at parking lot speeds.

I Installed the 2.75" Borla Atak. I know there are doubter and the reason I want to head to the Dyno. I firmly believe this car has picked up power below the curve. The tip in is more responsive and the car sounds amazing. More to come

I was on track twice with the Z/28 suspension and it was very disappointing as I couldn't really get to test the suspension. My diff was slipping and opening up. I have pictures on single track "burn-outs" 100'+ long exiting corners. I was not happy with the car at all. Now that the Trutrac has been installed it is a very different beast. It was the missing link and it wil now be a very long 5+ months before I can test the car in the spring.......but I guarantee lap time reductions of seconds, not tenths!

Matt
Old 11-14-2015, 09:36 PM   #153
AG1LE

Drives: '14 1LE
Quote:
The Z06 caliper gets a vented piston (-30c)
Do we know whether these vented pistons are aluminum or stainless steel?
AG1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:06 AM   #154
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
I'm a bit surprised that you installed a 2.75" Borla Atak before headers?

You will be like, "why didn't I do this from day 1" after you install headers. The weight savings and power down the straights.....

In case you do decide to do headers later on, be prepared for a drastic change in exhaust sound, hence why it's a safer bet to work front to back on these cars sound wise.

Some end up taking off their Borla Atak's, and going back to the full heavy suitcase OEM stock item, once they do cam
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote