Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 08-12-2017, 08:36 PM   #99
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
-->Hawk Fan: It's great to hear your system turned out to your satisfaction!

I do have a question regarding the subwoofer enclosure. How does it stay in position in the trunk? Is there any fastening to keep it in position during cornering/accel/braking, other than carpet friction?

Cheers!
Old 08-13-2017, 03:34 AM   #100
Hawk Fan

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
-->Hawk Fan: It's great to hear your system turned out to your satisfaction!

I do have a question regarding the subwoofer enclosure. How does it stay in position in the trunk? Is there any fastening to keep it in position during cornering/accel/braking, other than carpet friction?

Cheers!
Thanks, and yeah he fabricated a couple small Metal angle brackets to hold the sub in place. I doubt they would hold up in a 6g crash scenario, but i took my car out to some of my favorite corners and pulled some 1g turns and they seemed to hold up to that just fine. I can take some pics of the brackets if you like?
Hawk Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:06 AM   #101
histobeast

Drives: '18 SS 1LE SW
Glad I read through thread. I used to have a '15 Ford Focus ST1 that had the basic audio system and did exactly what was described earlier. Speaker inputs from front to LCi6 to two amps. Mono for sub and 4channel to door speakers. I still have the alpine amps, JL 12w3v3 sub and LCi6 from the focus but left the speakers in the doors. I hate that I'm not using the equipment and it's just sitting in a spare bedroom. Looking forward to a project. Thanks for all the input.
histobeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:14 AM   #102
JayhawkSS1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by histobeast View Post
Glad I read through thread. I used to have a '15 Ford Focus ST1 that had the basic audio system and did exactly what was described earlier. Speaker inputs from front to LCi6 to two amps. Mono for sub and 4channel to door speakers. I still have the alpine amps, JL 12w3v3 sub and LCi6 from the focus but left the speakers in the doors. I hate that I'm not using the equipment and it's just sitting in a spare bedroom. Looking forward to a project. Thanks for all the input.
let me know when you do yours, I wouldnt mind lending a hand/seeing whats involved before I dive into mine lol
Old 11-02-2017, 12:12 PM   #103
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Ok, so if I read correctly, the source is under the glovebox, we connect that to a DSP/line out converter which is then connected to a signal-sensing amplifier.

Is there a way around having the turn signals and seatbelt chime being super loud? The seatbelt one already hurts my ears stock.

Setup I'm looking at:
Hertz Hi-Energy 6.5" components w/ tweeters in the front
Hi-Energy 6x9s in the rear deck
No rear panel speakers
Not really sure on the amp, debating between JL XD/HD or Hybrid audio 5 channel.
Fix86/LC7i loc

Last edited by WhyUMad1LE; 11-02-2017 at 12:28 PM.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:12 PM   #104
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
Ok, so if I read correctly, the source is under the glovebox, we connect that to a DSP/line out converter which is then connected to a signal-sensing amplifier.

Is there a way around having the turn signals and seatbelt chime being super loud? The seatbelt one already hurts my ears stock.

Setup I'm looking at:
Hertz Hi-Energy 6.5" components w/ tweeters in the front
Hi-Energy 6x9s in the rear deck
No rear panel speakers
Not really sure on the amp, debating between JL XD/HD or Hybrid audio 5 channel.
Fix86/LC7i loc

Basically, but that's not terribly easy to get to. I ended up tapping into the speaker wires going into the door bulkhead connector. From there I ran the high-level back to my miniDSP, and the from the amp channels back up to the door splice, and new wires ran up to the dash locations.

Also RE: the door chime. No, if you want verified full range, then you get the door chime. The rear channels appear to be attenuated and/or a truncated frequency response.

For what it's worth on choosing components, keep in mind the cars noise floor is really high, so you'll never get studio quality sound driving down the road like you would in a Lexus et al.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:07 AM   #105
slythetove

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I have no car audio experience so this may be a dumb question.

When you guys say "tapping into" the speaker wire. Do you really mean you are cutting the wires then using something to splice all the wires (old and new) back together?

To do a sub only I keep picturing taking the speaker wire from say the driver or passenger rear panel speaker and cutting it then splicing in a new speaker wire that runs to the amp high level input.

Is that correct?
Old 11-03-2017, 09:12 AM   #106
The_Coleman

Drives: 2017 NGM 1SS 1LE
Quote:
I am interested in how this turns out as well. I am planning to do the same over the winter while I have it parked in the garage. I already dumped all the gear from my WRX into my beater truck though so I'll have to start from scratch on the equipment.

Like JayHawk said, if you are open to meeting new people/being the guinea pig... I might be able to sort out some time.
The_Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:12 AM   #107
7stringtheory

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Basically, but that's not terribly easy to get to. I ended up tapping into the speaker wires going into the door bulkhead connector. From there I ran the high-level back to my miniDSP, and the from the amp channels back up to the door splice, and new wires ran up to the dash locations.

Also RE: the door chime. No, if you want verified full range, then you get the door chime. The rear channels appear to be attenuated and/or a truncated frequency response.

For what it's worth on choosing components, keep in mind the cars noise floor is really high, so you'll never get studio quality sound driving down the road like you would in a Lexus et al.
The rear speaker outs are full range outs according to my installer, the doors arent.
7stringtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:23 AM   #108
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stringtheory View Post
The rear speaker outs are full range outs according to my installer, the doors arent.
Regarding the frequency response signal to the front door, your installer is 100% wrong. I have the measured response graphs to prove it via my REW and UMIK-1.

The front doors and dash speakers are the same channel from the factory receiver.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:58 AM   #109
umby24

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by slythetove View Post
I have no car audio experience so this may be a dumb question.

When you guys say "tapping into" the speaker wire. Do you really mean you are cutting the wires then using something to splice all the wires (old and new) back together?

To do a sub only I keep picturing taking the speaker wire from say the driver or passenger rear panel speaker and cutting it then splicing in a new speaker wire that runs to the amp high level input.

Is that correct?

You could do that, you could also solder them all together after doing that,

you could use a wire tap like these, which push a connecting piece of metal between the two wires (Doesn't require splicing),

Probably some other ways out there also
Old 11-03-2017, 01:40 PM   #110
histobeast

Drives: '18 SS 1LE SW
JayhawkSS1LE and The_Coleman absolutely y'all are welcome to come by. It will be a little while before I buy speakers though so don't hold your breath. I will document the whole process with photos too.
histobeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:47 PM   #111
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
Quote:
So all the signal alerts, door chime, seat belt chime, park assist beeps Etc. go through the output from the receiver to the speakers in-line with the actual "music" (I.E. Radio and Multi-Media) volume? I thought these chimes had their "own" volumes which can be capped to a lower signal level and this would avoid them breaking in with the full volume coming together with the music (post external Amp/s to the speakers...)
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:46 PM   #112
The_Coleman

Drives: 2017 NGM 1SS 1LE
Quote:
JayhawkSS1LE and The_Coleman absolutely y'all are welcome to come by. It will be a little while before I buy speakers though so don't hold your breath. I will document the whole process with photos too.
I have poor impulse control when it comes to buying toys, so I may beat you to it and be the Atlanta area guinea pig. I already began considering canabalizing things from my truck to reuse, but then it will be a quiet winter commute.

I hate the idea of splicing into the factory harness. I have been considering trying to find out what kind of connector it is and then ordering some parts form mouser or digi-key and making a clean tap in. While shopping crutchfield though I remembered they will give me the factory connector to spade connector adapter so if I run new speaker wire (I will), I can use those to tap the speaker input.
The_Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote