Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-09-2017, 01:57 PM   #15
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
I am going to say that the tesla, kicks butt! But then again isnt it going for $100k or so? Seriously the current electrical grid here is the US wouldnt be able to survive if everyone went to electric cars. Its a great idea, but at this moment I dont believe its that practical. There was report the other day stating how much C02 was released in the manufacturing of the battery in the tesla sedan. They said it was enough to equal a fossil fueled V8 powered car to running for 8 years!
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:05 PM   #16
mdmoore23

Drives: 2017 ZL1
As long as there is an enthusiastic car culture in this world, I don't see anyone going 100% electric. Who wants to only be left with cars that only make electric motor sounds and road noise?
mdmoore23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:21 PM   #17
parish8

Drives: 17 SS a8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmoore23 View Post
As long as there is an enthusiastic car culture in this world, I don't see anyone going 100% electric. Who wants to only be left with cars that only make electric motor sounds and road noise?
Me.

We leased a volt for 3 years. In 30000 miles we used maybe 6 tanks of gas. It cost ~60cents to go the first 38 miles in that car.

Cars typically charge at night. I have read there is plenty of surpluss capasity on our grid. Just not at peek use time.

Think about it this way. The volt charges at 16amps and 240volt or 3800 watts. I would bet at 6pm most people are using more than 3800 watts difference of electricity compared to 2am. What I am saying is your peek load will not go up and peek load is what they have to build the grid for.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:48 PM   #18
SoCal Racer

Drives: C4,C6 Z06,Silverado,'17 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sengli View Post
I am going to say that the tesla, kicks butt! But then again isnt it going for $100k or so? Seriously the current electrical grid here is the US wouldnt be able to survive if everyone went to electric cars. Its a great idea, but at this moment I dont believe its that practical. There was report the other day stating how much C02 was released in the manufacturing of the battery in the tesla sedan. They said it was enough to equal a fossil fueled V8 powered car to running for 8 years!
I read that too...the study was done by a Swedish research group...and I read some of their available documentation too. Everything is a hypothesis with a ton of assumptions. They did not do any real world testing, they did "calculations", so take that for what it is worth. I was in Sweden just about 6 months ago and most people use bicycles for transportation lol. It is a private environment study, with not much of a foundation, but a lot of motivation. Everyone hates Tesla, I am not a big fan either, so I get it. I don't like my ZL1 or Z06 getting smoked at a stop light by a Tesla and I would not buy one because they are boring looking/driving and come with a certain driver persona associated with owning one (ala BMW, Mercedes,etc), but to dismiss all electric vehicles because of those Tesla people is not the right thing to do. This is a ZL1 forum...under the Bowtie brand...and what gets advertised the most besides the Silverado of course, the Volt and Bolt. The Bowtie recognizes what is going on...if anyone reads Popular Mechanics...

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...udy-fake-news/

For those who think it will never happen...the wheels are already turning...just depends on when it will happen to each of us...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...engine-car-ban

Don't save your car in a glass case somewhere...drive it, enjoy it, appreciate it...one day the government may not let you register it in your state and finding a gas station may be as difficult as finding a hydrogen filling station is now...LOL...enjoy the drive
SoCal Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:23 PM   #19
utsteve98

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE, 2017 Ford Raptor
Two words: "Red Barchetta"
utsteve98 is offline   Reply With Quote