Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-14-2017, 02:23 PM   #29
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRAY View Post
I am using TSP valve springs. The cam is also on TSP lobes. They have been grinding my custom cams for years. I used to run Comp LSL/ HUC lobes for all my LS stuff. But I switched to TSP lobes some time back. The cars seem to make the same power. I am looking to keep the same power curve I have now. I want peak power from 6,500 to 6,700 and want it to Cary well after peak. I want to keep the shift points around 6,800 with the gear splits of this trans. I also didn't want to have to re-start my converter.1.39 60ft's is the goal with 9.9 1/4 being the final goal.

I will try to find out this weekend if the lobe sep is a mechanical issue or a tune issue.
You should see some good MPH on the big end.

Can't wait to see it.
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:53 PM   #30
Diode Dynamics

Drives: Camaro Lighting Experts

We dropped the Camaro off at Craven Performance on Monday for a Stage III Cam package & Longtube Headers from Texas Speed & Performance

Here's the specs, and a few of the included components (It has all the required bolts, gaskets, etc)

LT1 VVT-3 Camshaft w/Factory Fuel Lobe: 235/239, .645"/.635", 116 LSA, 112 ICL
7.85" Pushrod, 3/8" Diameter with 5/16" Ball ends (per pushrod)
.660" Dual Valve Spring Kit feat. PAC Valve Springs & PRC Integrated Seat/Seal
PRC Titanium Retainers for PRC Dual Spring setup (seats & seats as well)
PAC Racing Polished valve springs, 1.900" Height, .710" Max Lift
0 Degree Phaser Limiter
TSP DOD Delete Kit / Headbolts / LS2 Lifter Tray
Hy-Lift Johnson OE LS7 Style Lifters / Gaskets
C7 O2 Sensor extensions

1-7/8" Long Tube Headers & 3" Off-Road X-Pipe ('tis going to be quite loud)

While the engine doesn't have to come out, you definitely have to dismantle quite a few things on it. I'll keep everyone updated on our progress.

I'd be lying if I didn't say how excited I am to hear the idle lol

Nick C.

Last edited by Diode Dynamics; 09-20-2017 at 07:59 AM. Reason: In addition to having high-lift specs, it's called "Hi-Lift" on Livernois' site
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:09 PM   #31
PRAY

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post

We dropped the Camaro off at Craven Performance on Monday for the Livernois Motorsports Hi-lift cam install. We are also upgrading the springs, retainers, and rods as well.

While the engine doesn't have to come out, you definitely have to dismantle quite a few things on it. I'll keep everyone updated on our progress.

I'd be lying if I didn't say how excited I am to hear the idle lol

Nick C.
Looking at your pic reminds me that with pulling your motor you get to keep your A/C charged. Also, how are you doing a "hi-lift" cam while retaining DOD.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:22 PM   #32
PRAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
You should see some good MPH on the big end.

Can't wait to see it.
That would be cool but I am looking for 60ft and bottom end. This car never back half's that well. I get all my time form the 60ft and 1/8th mile. I don't think the car will trap much more than 131-133 depending on the weather. So I will have to 1.3X 60ft and really murder the front half to get to a 9.9. Hopefully I nailed it so that 4/5 shift comes a little bit after the 1/8 and I can get a good charge at the top end and build some rpm. I am sure I am going to have to dump as much weight as I can out of the car and switch to a 26" drag pack. We will see.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:28 PM   #33
Diode Dynamics

Drives: Camaro Lighting Experts
Quote:
Looking at your pic reminds me that with pulling your motor you get to keep your A/C charged. Also, how are you doing a "hi-lift" cam while retaining DOD.
We will be probably be deleting DOD, we've had some slight confusion with the cam-specs.

Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 04:51 PM   #34
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
TSP has some seriously impressive equipment and products. I have a local master GM tech good friend who I may just have to ask what kind of cam swap price he can do. I like the sound of your cam specs. If you get a sound clip or video, please post up! Are you allowed to say where you live now? ( I may have missed that post)
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:26 PM   #35
PRAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
TSP has some seriously impressive equipment and products. I have a local master GM tech good friend who I may just have to ask what kind of cam swap price he can do. I like the sound of your cam specs. If you get a sound clip or video, please post up! Are you allowed to say where you live now? ( I may have missed that post)
I ended up not having to move. I am still in Sanford. I did have to take a new job though and that has seriously degraded my output. I actually took a week of leave this week so I could catch up with my queue.

The cam going in my car won't be for public release for now. I will have three cams designed based on what I find with my cam over the weekend. I have one designed already. I am not sure if that will be my STGI or STGII.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:36 PM   #36
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
I don't think Pray has divulged his Cam specs.
Besides stating his preferred LSA.
Pretty sure he will keep his Valve event timings to himself.

...he can tell me though

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:46 PM   #37
PRAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
I don't think Pray has divulged his Cam specs.
Besides stating his preferred LSA.
Pretty sure he will keep his Valve event timings to himself.

...he can tell me though
You are correct Sir. Until they work, there isn't really anything to talk about. I will say that it is surprisingly small for my goals. It is a 2xx/2xx .645/.635 11x+x. I think everyone can fill in the blanks. The STGI or II is a 22x/23x .635/.635 111+x.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:13 PM   #38
exxit

Drives: 2016 1SS D1SC Methfed Lowered Wrapd
Since we were sort of on the subject... Have any of your actually gone through with the "drop in" method detailed with the CMS/Vengence setups?

My performance shop looks at me like I'm retarded every time I say "they're drop in"

My buddy goes "no dude, when you grow some balls we are going to take that motor out and since it's out you'll need to dig deep. Might as well do rods and pistons, heads, full dod delete and upgrade, boost cam, low pump, high pump, injectors blah blah blah"

Has anyone actually taken one of these kits and "dropped" all that stuff in without re-balancing?

Last edited by exxit; 09-14-2017 at 06:40 PM.
exxit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:18 PM   #39
PRAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by exxit View Post
Since we were sort of on the subject... Have any of your actually gone through with the "drop in" method detailed with the CMS/Vengence setups?

My performance shop looks at me like I'm retarded every time I say "they're drop in"

My buddy goes "no dude, when you grow some balls we are going to take that motor out and since it's out you'll need to dig deep. Might as well do rods pistons heads full dod and upgrade boost cam blah blah blah"

Has anyone actually taken one of these kits and "dropped" all that stuff in without re-balancing?
I am kind of with your machine shop. At a minimum you should dingle berry hone your cylinders if there are no scrapes in there. Give the rings a chance to seal up. Here is another question, with TTY rod bolts, do you just replace them with stockers? You definitely can't re-use them. I have used the Diamond LS7 drop ins but we rebalanced for them. Not sure I would just drop some pistons in and roll. I guess if they are identical weight then they should work.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:42 PM   #40
exxit

Drives: 2016 1SS D1SC Methfed Lowered Wrapd
Quote:
I am kind of with your machine shop. At a minimum you should dingle berry hone your cylinders if there are no scrapes in there. Give the rings a chance to seal up. Here is another question, with TTY rod bolts, do you just replace them with stockers? You definitely can't re-use them. I have used the Diamond LS7 drop ins but we rebalanced for them. Not sure I would just drop some pistons in and roll. I guess if they are identical weight then they should work.
You sound exactly like my performance shop with that last line.

"**** man, those tolerances really need to be on point, I would never say I recommend it but if you trust those guys we can try"

Conversation usually ends there.
exxit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:21 PM   #41
Blk16SS

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
I really want to see how your custom cam works with your heads. Don't do the blower yet.

What type of valve springs are you going with ? Who is making your cam? What peak rpm are you looking at?

Back in my LS days 110-112 LSA was always the popular choice. Wonder why everyone is doing higher now...
Driveability is the #1 reason why most cams are in the 116-121 LSA range. Overlap is the determining factor in the driveability department. Nobody wants a car that drives like crap on the street no matter how much power it makes. Especially when its an A8 to consider. I wouldn't consider anything over a 227 on the intake side and no more than a 235 on the exhaust. Combine that with about a .635-.645 lift on a 116 and that's about all a stock converter can handle.
Blk16SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 12:06 AM   #42
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk16SS View Post
Driveability is the #1 reason why most cams are in the 116-121 LSA range. Overlap is the determining factor in the driveability department. Nobody wants a car that drives like crap on the street no matter how much power it makes. Especially when its an A8 to consider. I wouldn't consider anything over a 227 on the intake side and no more than a 235 on the exhaust. Combine that with about a .635-.645 lift on a 116 and that's about all a stock converter can handle.
I am guessing that most cams for the 6th gen stick with a 116 or higher LSA due to variable cam timing. Being able to advance the cam on the fly can act like a tighter lsa cam in the low-mid rpm range, then the computer retards the cam timing simulating a wider LSA to help carry peak power as rpms rise. I agree that 227/235 looks to be the middle ground for a good balance of power and driveability. However I bet we will see some new advancements with Cam tech on these engines in the near future.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote