Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 08-08-2017, 07:02 PM   #15
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Where is this car on the legal emissions scale?
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:03 PM   #16
POINTBY

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
I made essentially the same comment on Facebook. If the owner is really looking for straight-line speed, the standard ZL1 with A10 and this build would have been a much better choice. I can only imagine all the Camaro 1LE engineers shaking their heads in unison and saying wtf?
Exactly.

And the DSSV dampers are far from "comfortable."
POINTBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:06 PM   #17
Joe's_cool_1le

Drives: Black 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Didn't realize there was a cap on HP for a road course! Only the gods can decide what the correct HP can be? Seriously? I could relearn 700-800 to the wheels. Or by the very least have an absolute BLAST trying. Gotta love to push the envelope because I know there are a lot of enthusiast that sure love to do just that.

PS... If I missed something that guy only wants a straight line car my bad. If not cheers and enjoy finding that cars limits.
2017 1LE SS Black - Mods - Forged - lowered compression - BTR custom Cam - Whipple, 3.500 upper and 8.0 lower pulley, Roto-Fab, 1 7/8 Kooks headers, off road pipes, & 3" Kooks full exhaust. LT4 fuel system, with Alky single nozzle running 100% meth. (not installed yet) DSX Tuning flex fuel and DSX tuning Aux pump
Joe's_cool_1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:22 PM   #18
scooter k

Drives: ex-wife's car
BAD ASS car!!
scooter k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:32 PM   #19
trakdayz

Drives: E92 M3 & E36 M3 (Full Race car)
Very cool build guys! Great work....but to me as a track rat, this serves no purpose at all.
trakdayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:11 PM   #20
four0nefive

Drives: Nothing Fast (Yet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's_cool_1le View Post
Didn't realize there was a cap on HP for a road course! Only the gods can decide what the correct HP can be? Seriously? I could relearn 700-800 to the wheels. Or by the very least have an absolute BLAST trying. Gotta love to push the envelope because I know there are a lot of enthusiast that sure love to do just that.

PS... If I missed something that guy only wants a straight line car my bad. If not cheers and enjoy finding that cars limits.
Not so much of the fact of the fact that there's a horsepower cap, but when the car is already limited production and built specifically for road course work, what's the point of adding nearly 300 more horsepower?

800 horsepower to the wheels is over 900 crank horsepower. That's absolutely useless on the road course. 700 or 750 crank would probably be my limit, and even that's pushing the envelope.

VR does amazing work and they are extremely reputable, so I wont fault them because they are only doing what their customer asked them to do. For me personally though, I just couldn't see buying a car that wasn't built for straight line work and trying to turn it into one. I think most people including myself don't see the point especially when there's the standard ZL1 available that would be much better and much more streetable than the 1LE version. Same deal when people send their Viper TAs or ACRs to Nth Moto for a twin turbo set up. Why not just start with a regular version?

At least they're producing the ZL1 1LE for more than one year so at least some actual track enthusiasts still have a chance to get one, but to each their own.
four0nefive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:32 PM   #21
Joe's_cool_1le

Drives: Black 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by four0nefive View Post
Not so much of the fact of the fact that there's a horsepower cap, but when the car is already limited production and built specifically for road course work, what's the point of adding nearly 300 more horsepower?

800 horsepower to the wheels is over 900 crank horsepower. That's absolutely useless on the road course. 700 or 750 crank would probably be my limit, and even that's pushing the envelope.

VR does amazing work and they are extremely reputable, so I wont fault them because they are only doing what their customer asked them to do. For me personally though, I just couldn't see buying a car that wasn't built for straight line work and trying to turn it into one. I think most people including myself don't see the point especially when there's the standard ZL1 available that would be much better and much more streetable than the 1LE version. Same deal when people send their Viper TAs or ACRs to Nth Moto for a twin turbo set up. Why not just start with a regular version?

At least they're producing the ZL1 1LE for more than one year so at least some actual track enthusiasts still have a chance to get one, but to each their own.
I'll admit I have trouble understanding a car purist vs a car enthusiast. As long as one has supporting mods to keep the additional horsepower planted the only thing left is a driver mod. And who am I to say what a driver can handle vs the next? I think it truly comes down to exactly what you said, "but to each their own".
2017 1LE SS Black - Mods - Forged - lowered compression - BTR custom Cam - Whipple, 3.500 upper and 8.0 lower pulley, Roto-Fab, 1 7/8 Kooks headers, off road pipes, & 3" Kooks full exhaust. LT4 fuel system, with Alky single nozzle running 100% meth. (not installed yet) DSX Tuning flex fuel and DSX tuning Aux pump
Joe's_cool_1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:37 PM   #22
Robbs1le

Drives: 2017 zl1. Headers intake pulley e
So awesome! What a great combo
Robbs1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:23 AM   #23
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
A person has the right to choose what they want once that decision is made any argument is a moot point...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:28 AM   #24
plant

Drives: GM
Quote:
I can only imagine all the Camaro 1LE engineers shaking their heads in unison and saying wtf?
Rare footage of camaro engineer after seeing people drag racing 1LEs:

More sales is a good thing for everyone. I want these cars to keep being made.
plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:32 AM   #25
Naturday13

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by STUNNAH View Post
A person has the right to choose what they want once that decision is made any argument is a moot point...

Exactly.

Last edited by Naturday13; 08-09-2017 at 03:34 AM.
Naturday13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:52 AM   #26
GoneBoy

Drives: '17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by four0nefive View Post

You make some decent points, but in general I don't understand why some of y'all are pissed or questioning what this man did to his car. If we're going there, u can also ask what's the point of even buying a zl1 1le at all if it's not gonna be used for hard core tracking, where you're trying to shave 3-5 seconds off a technical 2.5 mile road course. What percentage of buyers do you think made the decision to go 1le vs standard based on that criteria? Better yet, how many of those buyers are even technically capable of doing this? I'd venture to say a tiny tiny tiny fraction of them. So should we also attack the majority of those guys for snapping up allocations from track goers who are more deserved?

honestly for about 98% of us, the 1le is overkill given the sacrifices that are made for daily comfort. This man wanted an awesome power upgrade on currently the top dog camaro. He's no different than the majority of zl1 1le buyers.... he just has 300hp more than them and a gm powertrain warranty that he'll never get to use.
GoneBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:57 AM   #27
POINTBY

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
I'd like to know what was done to the cooling system to support the additional power.

GM spent a lot of time to ensure the car would not overheat on a road course, but this car is likely now going to have that problem.
POINTBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:50 AM   #28
HyperBlueX2

Drives: '22 Silverado 2500HD Duramax LTZ
Quote:
I made essentially the same comment on Facebook. If the owner is really looking for straight-line speed, the standard ZL1 with A10 and this build would have been a much better choice. I can only imagine all the Camaro 1LE engineers shaking their heads in unison and saying wtf?