Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-23-2017, 04:59 PM   #1
Blakells

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Highly considering a Supercharger, but would like some advice.

Currently this is the setup i'm running.
Scoggin Dickey CNC Ported heads
Texas Speed Stage 4 LS3 235/239
.627”/.624” 3-bolt Camshaft
GM Replacement LS7 Styler Lifters
Texas Speed & Performance Chromoly Pushrods
Texas Speed Upgraded Rocker Arm Package
Precision Race Components .650” Dual Spring Kit with Titanium Retainers UMI
Aluminum Valve Cover Spacers
New Head Gaskets Replaced during Cam Swap
New TQ Bolts, Replaced during Cam Swap
K&N Aircharger Cold Air Intake
2010-2015 Camaro SS/1LE/ZL1 Kooks 1 7/8” Header and Catted Connection Pipe Kit
2010-2015 Camaro SS Kooks 3” In/Out High Flow Cats
Camaro SS 2010+Kooks Cat Back Straight Pipe
2011 Camaro SS Kooks 3” Axel Back High Flow Muffler, 4” Stainless Steel
GM 3-bolt Cam Gear With 4x Reluctor
New GM Slave Cylinder W/ Monster Billit Separator
Very mild tune.

Right now i've got about 580hp crank and 495 to the wheel. with this setup and with a aggressive tune i'd say 600-620hp but right now the tune is very mild.
I'm considering a supercharger but would like advice from others who have either done this or know others who have done this to their LS3 camaro.

I'm thinking an SLP supercharger and about 10-12psi. But I want to be super sure about doing this before I ever decide to take any course of action with Forced Induction as I know I still have lots to research.
Blakells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:13 PM   #2
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Get ready for everyone to tell you why their "system" is better than all the others.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:43 PM   #3
8balldeluxe

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS Victory Red
I'm considering as well, everyone's SC setup is better than mine until I get one.
Speed Engineering Headers w/ Texas Speed HFC's ~ Flowmaster 2 1/2" cat back w/Flowmaster Super 10's ~ Cold Air Inductions Intake w/ Scoop and WW relocate ~ VMAX CNC Spiral PTB ~ Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors w/Hawk pads ~ ZL1 Spoiler ~ SCTX4 RDP Tuned
8balldeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:47 PM   #4
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Well, it seems you're pretty well on the way to beefing up prior - 'cept maybe the crank, for the added load. Looks like you basically got SC HP results from the build but obviously you want 100 more HP at the crank. I only know what I read, mostly here, but if you have the $7-10K burning a hole in your pocket, you can't go too wrong. Most here with modest boost and "reasonable" abuse (define that!) report good longevity results with a SC.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:14 PM   #5
Blakells

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS View Post
Get ready for everyone to tell you why their "system" is better than all the others.
I'm sure some people have a wayyyy better setup than me haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8balldeluxe View Post
I'm considering as well, everyone's SC setup is better than mine until I get one.
What got me was I was basically making what a roush stage 2 mustang I believe was making (2016 model) and when I got it dynod the mustang guys were like shitting bricks because the ls3 was still NA so it felt good but I need moar powaaaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Well, it seems you're pretty well on the way to beefing up prior - 'cept maybe the crank, for the added load. Looks like you basically got SC HP results from the build but obviously you want 100 more HP at the crank. I only know what I read, mostly here, but if you have the $7-10K burning a hole in your pocket, you can't go too wrong. Most here with modest boost and "reasonable" abuse (define that!) report good longevity results with a SC.
Thanks man. I definitely dont want to run more than say 12 or so psi because I dont want to risk warped the pistons or anything like that otherwise i'd just forge the internals and make a boost build haha.
I was hoping for an extra 100-150hp to the wheel and 100 to the wheel if possible. Just want to hit that 700rwhp mark but I know damn well once I do that, i'll want more. The dyno shop is a mustang shop so they would charge me for an SLP supercharger and install it and tune it all for 8k total I believe. But I may need extra things like new injectors, fuel railing, etc etc so that's why I was posting this because i'm new to FI and need an expert to "show me the ropes" haha.

My plan is to supercharge her for either my birthday in 1.5 months or for my christmas present to myself.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:20 PM   #6
fz4k98

Drives: 2013 1ss
If you plan on using the power be ready to chase the next weak spot in the drivetrain once you go above 600 at the motor. I am in the middle of that now. I put a 2.9l whipped on a basically stock ls3. Dyno results were 610 at wheels. Since then it has been driveshaft, clutch, axles and after adding slicks now it is time to drop the rear cradle and beef up the bushings, control arms etc.
fz4k98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:34 PM   #7
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fz4k98 View Post
If you plan on using the power be ready to chase the next weak spot in the drivetrain once you go above 600 at the motor. I am in the middle of that now. I put a 2.9l whipped on a basically stock ls3. Dyno results were 610 at wheels. Since then it has been driveshaft, clutch, axles and after adding slicks now it is time to drop the rear cradle and beef up the bushings, control arms etc.
Back in '01 I bought a new Yukon. I wanted a Whipple so bad I could smell it. I worked with a guy who beefed up auto-tranny's at home on the side. (for us HP chasers) He simply said, "you don't get somethin' for nothin." And left it at that. Real world posts like yours drive the reality home. Ya gotta be all in for the HP game. You can't just date this chick, you gotta marry her!
Old 07-23-2017, 08:52 PM   #8
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
You're gonna want to start upgrading some internals of course (rods, pistons, fuel injectors etc) because 10-12 lbs of boost is asking for it, especially at that much rwhp on a stock LS3.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311407

A lot of people are happy with their maggie's...

Here's a good thread on some random FAQ on Forced Induction
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472684
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:01 PM   #9
Reaper85

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
All the kits usually make 150+ whp on a stock car running 7-8 psi. With your mods I'd expect closer to 200.
Reaper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:05 PM   #10
Blakells

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz4k98 View Post
This was exactly my thoughts.
I just got the car about two months ago and I believe it has new control arms and maybe suspension upgrades but i'd have to get my mechanic to put it on lifts and do the whole nine yard inspection.

I know the ls3 can handle 700-800hp and 10-12psi with the bottom end as long as you don't get too crazy with boost. My only question was drivetrain issues and suspension because the last thing id want is to slap a supercharger on it and then have the rear axle snap the moment I floored it.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:38 PM   #11
fz4k98

Drives: 2013 1ss
Having the power is one thing. Using it eats up stock parts.

The clutch survived about 2 months of fun. The rear suspension already had driveshaft and axles when I put on the slicks. 3 runs later and may be a dozen hard launches and I moved the rear cradle. Stock bushings could not take the hookup.

It is addictive as all hell though.

Moto-Mojo; loved your response.
fz4k98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:39 PM   #12
2010reddevil

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Victory Red 6M
Why not a turbo system? No belts to worry with, no pulleys to swap out and more power per psi of boost than any s/c on the market. I have owned a Procharged Mustang and driven a CTS-V with the LSA and a Mustang with a Whipple. The one thing universal to all is having to deal with belt slip once you start cranking the boost up. Turbo is just a better form of forced induction all around imo. To each their own, and good luck with your build!

2010 2SS 6M Victory Red/Black (old ride)
CAI intake, Speed Engineering 1 7/8" LT's, X4 base tune, Flowmaster Outlaw axle-back.

12.6 @ 115 SAR as of 9/19/15
Gone but never forgotten.
2010reddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:19 PM   #13
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
My advice would be to spend a good hour at the very least, and read threads in the FI (Forced Induction section) of the forum.

Too many variables here, you need to decide, and report (for proper advice), on how you plan to use your ride, the power band style that your application needs, and your ultimate final HP/Torque goals, your budget, keeping it all real.

If you plan to occasionally road race as opposed to 1/4 mile, than I'd read FI recommendations in the 1LE and also the RoadRacing/Autocross section of the forum.

You know, you can throw $15000 at the lousiest PD SC system, that heat soaks like a mofo, with all of the bells and whistles "Super Chiller Whatchamacallits(and yes they do work, but...)" thrown on it, ($$$$, easily additional 4 digits), and make it better than a_much_better_by_default, bang_for_the_buck, entry level TT or Centri kit.

Just sayin any of the FI offerings work well, if you toss the requisite amount of $$$$ on it. $$$$ supersedes anything, a Dodge Omni with a heat soaking PD system can be made to haul ass reliably..

Back to reality, using some logic to the approach, look at your wants, your goals, your budget, then list them, report them if you want an accurate analysis.

For future questions, I'd skip the General Discussions section and post in the FI, RoadRace, 1/4mile sections, as far as Power Adders are concerned .
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:33 PM   #14
jeff657756

Drives: 2014 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010reddevil View Post
Why not a turbo system? No belts to worry with, no pulleys to swap out and more power per psi of boost than any s/c on the market. I have owned a Procharged Mustang and driven a CTS-V with the LSA and a Mustang with a Whipple. The one thing universal to all is having to deal with belt slip once you start cranking the boost up. Turbo is just a better form of forced induction all around imo. To each their own, and good luck with your build!
+1