Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-12-2017, 10:28 AM   #1
Rocco70
THE YETI

Drives: 2SS RS
Smile Water pump replacement

Any help will be appreciated started the car today 2ss Ls3. It's making a bad very bad squeaky noise very loud I believe it's the water pump. Just did a 8 rib up grade so all pulleys are new except for the water pump. Question is the water pump a pain to change and I been looking for information on a step by step on how to replace. I get the just of how to change it but need info like torque specs. Do I just use the gasket or add rtv stuff like that any info would be helpful thanks.
Nickey stage 2 cam, ported heads, fast intake, AMR Headers, no cats, 3inch X pipe,under drive pully,ported throttle body, adm race scoop,AMD cold air, Nickey custom tune,catch can,1le 3:91,BMR trailing arms and outer bushing,toe rods,rear sway bar, tunnel brace,mr228 rims 315 nt05r
Rocco70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:15 PM   #2
2thousand2

Drives: 1997 Camaro SS
Usually a squeak is due to pulley alignment or tension (not enough). Spray something on the belt and see if it goes away, if it continues find the mechanical part making the noise. A wobbling crank pulley will cause a belt chirp noise as well.
2thousand2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:22 PM   #3
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Look at the last thing you did as the probable cause - as 2thousand2 said. These pumps are stout...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:00 PM   #4
rvnmaniac

Drives: 2012 M6 ZL1. 2019 Altima.07 FJR1300
Could be something as simple as a loose belt
Old 07-13-2017, 03:26 PM   #5
Rocco70
THE YETI

I have a super tensioner ao it's not a loose belt . It's more then a chirp or a squeak it's very loud squealing sound. I removed the main belt and it went away. I took off the pulley that does nothing but route the belt small black one. It's in between the water pump and power steering it Seemed fine and it's new too. The only pulley that hasn't been changed is the water pump. I should also say I'm over 800 at the motor. I drove the car was fine parked it for a week started it and this noise happened. When I removed the main belt the a/c was the only thing hooked up and it was quite. The belt is also only 2 months old witch is about 500 miles same with all the pulleys.
Nickey stage 2 cam, ported heads, fast intake, AMR Headers, no cats, 3inch X pipe,under drive pully,ported throttle body, adm race scoop,AMD cold air, Nickey custom tune,catch can,1le 3:91,BMR trailing arms and outer bushing,toe rods,rear sway bar, tunnel brace,mr228 rims 315 nt05r

Last edited by Rocco70; 07-13-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:34 PM   #6
Rocco70
THE YETI

Also when I had the belt off I could move the pump pulley side to side just a little nothing crazy but there was movement. When I listen the noise iss definitely coming from that area.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:49 PM   #7
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Any movement in the water pump pulley is not good. They are easy to replace, just 6 bolts holding them on. Don't use any rtv or sealant, just clean the mating surface really good and use a factory gasket with the new pump. I would also change the thermostat while you have it out. It's likely that the extra tension on the pump pulley finished it off. An LS water pump failure isn't unheard of, but they are a pretty stout pump overall.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 04:29 PM   #8
Rocco70
THE YETI

Yea I didn't think the movement was normally I should have said I'm cam and super charged. And I was thinking the same thing that with the super tensioner all that added stress if it was faulty that would've killed it real quick