Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

View Poll Results: Have you experienced unexpected power loss at low speeds with the 6th Gen ZL1?
Yes, I feel there is an issue with the car's ability to take off gently and/or launch. 104 64.20%
No, the car seems fine to me. 26 16.05%
I do not own a 6th Gen ZL1. 32 19.75%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-05-2017, 10:52 AM   #127
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Haven't checked in on the thread and don't have much time, have we reached any kind of direction of what it could be linked to? I find it odd that magazines that are usually very critical, didn't pick this up and say it. Normally they'd be all over drivability things like this. The part that really gets me too is the people that say they've been driving sticks for 10, 20, 30+ years and this is the hardest car they've ever had to take off in.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:56 AM   #128
Evolvedx27

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Haven't checked in on the thread and don't have much time, have we reached any kind of direction of what it could be linked to? I find it odd that magazines that are usually very critical, didn't pick this up and say it. Normally they'd be all over drivability things like this. The part that really gets me too is the people that say they've been driving sticks for 10, 20, 30+ years and this is the hardest car they've ever had to take off in.
Exactly. I thought it was me at first, getting used to the car and all but apparently not
Evolvedx27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:00 AM   #129
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
I haven't heard back from GM yet. It's vacation season and I'm sure the engineers are busy helping to market the ZL1 1LE. I'm confident we'll eventually get a response.

I'll let you guys know the moment I hear anything.
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:08 AM   #130
travislambert

Should I add a poll to the thread? What do you guys think?

If we add poll, is this wording objective enough?

Have you experienced unexpected timing pulls / bogging that go beyond what you'd consider normal?
  • Yes, I have a 6th Gen ZL1 and I feel there is an issue with the car.
  • No, I have a 6th Gen ZL1 and the car feels fine to me.
  • Yes, I have a 6th Gen SS 1LE and I feel there is an issue with the car.
  • No, I have a 6th Gen SS 1LE and the car feels fine to me.
  • Yes, I have a 6th Gen SS (NON-1LE) and I feel there is an issue with the car.
  • No, I have a 6th Gen SS (NON-1LE) and the car feels fine to me.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:25 PM   #131
Tara Martin
Loves Camaros

Drives: Red '79 Z28, '24 Blk A10 ZL-1 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
I browsed the forums a little bit and so far I've found several '17 ZL1 owners who have expressed concerns similar to what's being described in this thread.

1. travislambert
2. Shorty45
3. popsmk
4. FringBirdAloha
5. Zach495
6. Infern0
7. Evolvedx27
8. bobby35ny
9. GarnetRedJuan (A10)
10. rasracin
11. Stoner
12. sengli
13. IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1
14. Getinthur
15. cwebster
16. mlee (A10)
17. Lashu74
18. 17ZL1Camaro

If your username isn't listed and you have experienced issues with unexpected timing pulls/bogging with the '17 ZL1 that go beyond what you'd consider normal, please post your experience/observations and I'll get your name added.

I plan to show this list to the Chevrolet reps at Camaro Fest to help give some credence to the issue. Hopefully this will be useful for them in prioritizing the investigation into the problem.

(And of course, if I've somehow misunderstood your post(s) and you'd like your username removed, I'd be happy to do that as well.)
I have an M6 ZL-1 and also experience this issue. I had a stock M6 16 SS that never had this issue arise.

Thanks!

Tara

Tara Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:29 PM   #132
Repman

Drives: 18 Black ZL1-1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara Martin View Post
I have an M6 ZL-1 and also experience this issue. I had a stock M6 16 SS that never had this issue arise.

Thanks!

Tara
Tara , thanks please add me to the list who feel that the 17-ZL1 has an issue with the manual transmission.

Thanks, Larry
Repman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:31 PM   #133
Repman

Drives: 18 Black ZL1-1LE
Quote:
Should I add a poll to the thread? What do you guys think?

If we add poll, is this wording objective enough?

Have you experienced unexpected timing pulls / bogging that go beyond what you'd consider normal?
  • Yes, I have a 6th Gen ZL1 and I feel there is an issue with the car.
  • No, I have a 6th Gen ZL1 and the car feels fine to me.
  • Yes, I have a 6th Gen SS 1LE and I feel there is an issue with the car.
  • No, I have a 6th Gen SS 1LE and the car feels fine to me.
  • Yes, I have a 6th Gen SS (NON-1LE) and I feel there is an issue with the car.
  • No, I have a 6th Gen SS (NON-1LE) and the car feels fine to me.

Yes , I think the poll would be helpful to document what owners are thinking about with regards to the M6 issues in the 17-ZL1 thanks
Repman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:48 PM   #134
travislambert

I added a poll to the thread which is probably what I should have done instead of creating the list.

To keep the poll simple, I decided not to list options for the SS (sorry guys).
Old 07-05-2017, 07:14 PM   #135
whollins

Drives: Camaro
I'll add my 2 cents to the discussion.

I sold my 67 Camaro with a Muncie M21 to get my new Zl1. I had the car for 33 years. It's the car I learned to drive, so a manual transmission is not new for me.

I do feel that this car is hard to drive and easy to stall on takeoff. I thought it was just me learning to drive a car with so much more horsepower. But after following this thread I'm not second guessing my ability to drive a manual car.

My other data point is I let my wife drive the car. (Once). She scared me when she turned right on red because I thought she was going to stall the car. I never thought twice about it until i read this thread. I think it was my subconscious thinking she's going to stall the car based on my previous driving experience.

Again just my point of view for what it is worth.
whollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:50 PM   #136
travislambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by whollins View Post
I'll add my 2 cents to the discussion.

I sold my 67 Camaro with a Muncie M21 to get my new Zl1. I had the car for 33 years. It's the car I learned to drive, so a manual transmission is not new for me.

I do feel that this car is hard to drive and easy to stall on takeoff. I thought it was just me learning to drive a car with so much more horsepower. But after following this thread I'm not second guessing my ability to drive a manual car.

My other data point is I let my wife drive the car. (Once). She scared me when she turned right on red because I thought she was going to stall the car. I never thought twice about it until i read this thread. I think it was my subconscious thinking she's going to stall the car based on my previous driving experience.

Again just my point of view for what it is worth.
Thanks for the post. My experience was very similar.

Looking back, I assumed the problem for me was due to a lack of familiarity with the clutch engagement point. After, I became familiar with the car (and its clutch) I was still doubting myself.

I suspect the magazine journalists and even the GM test engineers felt the same way, and perhaps that's how the problem was overlooked.

Once I hooked up the laptop and witnessed it pull 20+ degrees of timing while going 1.8 MPH, I quit second guessing my ability to drive the car. Even to this day when I drive the ZL1 I avoid steep hills where I may have to stop. I was never concerned about a hill with any of my previous manual transmission cars.

Hopefully GM will get this problem resolved for us!
Old 07-05-2017, 08:50 PM   #137
BSR-1

Drives: 17 ZL1 M6 Black
I too have a problem with inconsistent power delivery during take off. Sometimes it's fine and others it'll fall flat on it's face and almost stall. If I just gas through it it sounds like a truck.
I learned on a manual about 40 years ago and have had several including a 2011 & 2014 Camaro 6 spd stick. Neither of those gave me the trouble I have with the ZL1.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:42 PM   #138
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Dear GM,
Owned a 2010 2ss 6M, clutch and launch no issues!!
Owned a 2013 ZL1 6M, even sweeter clutch over the 2010 and no launch issues.

Own a 2017 ZL1 6M, Clutch has a mind of its own, I know the clutch isn't the issue its something that's out of my control. Launch is terrible and bogs. Just when you THINK "ok I got this down" stop and go driving sucks. Something is wrong!!!
-Bobby
Old 07-05-2017, 09:42 PM   #139
IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Can this issue with the timing retarding be tuned out?
IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:46 PM   #140
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Thanks for the post. My experience was very similar.

Looking back, I assumed the problem for me was due to a lack of familiarity with the clutch engagement point. After, I became familiar with the car (and its clutch) I was still doubting myself.

I suspect the magazine journalists and even the GM test engineers felt the same way, and perhaps that's how the problem was overlooked.

Once I hooked up the laptop and witnessed it pull 20+ degrees of timing while going 1.8 MPH, I quit second guessing my ability to drive the car. Even to this day when I drive the ZL1 I avoid steep hills where I may have to stop. I was never concerned about a hill with any of my previous manual transmission cars.

Hopefully GM will get this problem resolved for us!
I wonder if the magazine cars had non-production calibration software?

I'd be willing to have a magazine reporter test my car if they come down here to sunny FL!!