Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-15-2017, 08:59 AM   #29
aka Reckless

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's_cool_1le View Post
Man I would add this to her or equivalent if I had her opened up.

*edit* just realized you were talking past tense.
The rods are nice insurance, but not really needed at 700hp. If I were going to do rods I'd just get a stroker from LME

We sell lots of the forged drop in pistons at VR.
aka Reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:02 AM   #30
formoutofchaos

Drives: Camaro 2017 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
Where are you finding the stories of people dropping their engines after doing the mods you list?
2 people in the 1le forum , one dropped there engine on the track, and one just regular break in * its covered cause no mods that's what worries me as my rev match is acting up
formoutofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:04 AM   #31
formoutofchaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcarney1977 View Post
I did a procharger and headers at 500 miles and have no problems at all at 6000 now ..
I wouldn't worry if I didn't track? I am planning on every month tracking
Old 05-15-2017, 10:09 AM   #32
ss_rob

Drives: SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by formoutofchaos View Post
2 people in the 1le forum , one dropped there engine on the track, and one just regular break in * its covered cause no mods that's what worries me as my rev match is acting up
Sometimes my rev match responds funny in lower gears but I think it's software related and not so much because there's a engine problem.
ss_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:17 AM   #33
jlagman

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Gotta pay to play. That was one of the major reasons why I stepped out of an Evo X GSR and into a Camaro 2SS; I don't think I can realistically outgrow the power output of this car. If anything, I want to slap on as many 1LE bits as possible, while retaining my warranty.
jlagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:35 AM   #34
formoutofchaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_rob View Post
Sometimes my rev match responds funny in lower gears but I think it's software related and not so much because there's a engine problem.
My 4th to 3rd has stopped working
Old 05-15-2017, 10:38 AM   #35
formoutofchaos

Out of curiosity how much is an engine replacement? With labor?
Old 05-15-2017, 11:12 AM   #36
sdmcss

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE, 1985 MCSS
Quote:
Both of those were stock vehicles. One had a low mile check before going to the track. Both ended up with a pool of oil on the ground and replaced motors. If nothing happens in the first 5K miles, go for it! If you are worried about S/C warranty go with Wipple, Magnuson or Edlebrock they have warranties (additional pricing).

Procharger is a bolt on so can easily be removed in the future. All of them will require tunes. You may have to get a second ECU to show the factory tune... I have done this with a few cars.

Past/Current:
2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible, M6, Silver Ice Metallic, Inferno Orange Interior and Stripes - SOLD
2007 Monte Carlo SS, LS4, Summit White, Silver Rally Stripes - SOLD
2006 Impala SS, LS4, Black on Black - SOLD
1985 Monte Carlo SS
sdmcss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:09 PM   #37
formoutofchaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmcss View Post
Both of those were stock vehicles. One had a low mile check before going to the track. Both ended up with a pool of oil on the ground and replaced motors. If nothing happens in the first 5K miles, go for it! If you are worried about S/C warranty go with Wipple, Magnuson or Edlebrock they have warranties (additional pricing).

Procharger is a bolt on so can easily be removed in the future. All of them will require tunes. You may have to get a second ECU to show the factory tune... I have done this with a few cars.
Thats good to know! I trust it I just have had some bad luck with the car mostly cosmetics.... I really just want cat back and headers.....down the line pro charger

Lets a say I move back to California in 3 years HIghly likely how do I deal with emissions???? Take it all off? Thats my last obstacle ?
Old 05-15-2017, 02:13 PM   #38
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
Given your track record with your car, I would leave it 100% stock.
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 03:19 PM   #39
Camarofan93

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS & 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
My 4th to 3rd has stopped working
That's very strange. I still though would lean towards it being software related
Camarofan93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:00 PM   #40
Techn9cian805
The BEAST

Drives: '16 2SS, '89 Wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutHank View Post
If you can't afford a motor replacement out of warranty, don't mod it.

With that said, if you trust your tuner explicitly, I'd feel comfortable doing it.
This is the brutal truth. You gotta pay to play, it's what keeps me from going all out with my car as I initially planned... things have changed for me financially, and apparently buying a house is more important for my wife than powering up my race car (can you believe that????)....

Old 05-15-2017, 04:01 PM   #41
Driski

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt ss View Post
I haven't had a tune on my camaro yet. I did have an sti before this car so I was just commenting since I must have tuned the sti at least 8 different times, that the tune is a huge component to a happy, long lasting, modded vehicle.
And as much as I'd like to get a tune and make her faster, I'm not touching her until my warranty is up or close to up. Been down that road and as awesome as it is to have your baby pushing over 500hp, I don't want to go there without having the funds to replace the motor or god-knows what else that could go wrong.
Short story, modded the shit out of my sti, it was running like a monster. Beyond anyone's control, the oil pickup cracked, starved the motor and I spun a bearing.
This was right after I gave a $8000 deposit on re-doing my kitchen. Literally the day after. My heart sank. Lesson learned in my book, like many have said here, make sure you have the money to play. Shit always happens at the worst time.
Thank you for that feedback. I was just at the speed shop This morning talking to the owner about a supercharger (Twisted Synergy Motorsports) nice guy. If the cost ($8,000-$10,000) didn't cure me, your short story did. I'll fight the urge and wait until the time is right. Thanks again!
Old 05-15-2017, 07:19 PM   #42
Whis

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt ss View Post
I haven't had a tune on my camaro yet. I did have an sti before this car so I was just commenting since I must have tuned the sti at least 8 different times, that the tune is a huge component to a happy, long lasting, modded vehicle.
And as much as I'd like to get a tune and make her faster, I'm not touching her until my warranty is up or close to up. Been down that road and as awesome as it is to have your baby pushing over 500hp, I don't want to go there without having the funds to replace the motor or god-knows what else that could go wrong.
Short story, modded the shit out of my sti, it was running like a monster. Beyond anyone's control, the oil pickup cracked, starved the motor and I spun a bearing.
This was right after I gave a $8000 deposit on re-doing my kitchen. Literally the day after. My heart sank. Lesson learned in my book, like many have said here, make sure you have the money to play. Shit always happens at the worst time.
im adding a catch can and that's it, after this post.
Whis is offline   Reply With Quote