Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-07-2017, 01:56 PM   #43
Whis

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick3 View Post
Damn thats wild. I need to look into the auto lock feature. Sounds like its the best way to mitigate the code reading attack. As far as the amplifier, I will be moving my spare key to a different location now....

No one, still, has answered the question of if this helps or not. Putting your fob in an shield pocket also does what? Are they pulling it from a fob not being used? You have to take the fob out of the shielding to use it, so not seeing the point.

Can someone with actual authoritative knowledge help us out here?
Whis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:01 PM   #44
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whis View Post
No one, still, has answered the question of if this helps or not. Putting your fob in an shield pocket also does what? Are they pulling it from a fob not being used? You have to take the fob out of the shielding to use it, so not seeing the point.

Can someone with actual authoritative knowledge help us out here?
The shield pocket would block the signal from the remote and thus prevent an amplifier from tricking the car into thinking the remote is still close by to the car when using passive lock/unlock. Yeah would have to take it out when you want to have access to the car, but then a thief would have to directly confront you in order to steal your car.

If I understand it at least....
ChevyRules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:12 PM   #45
devnull
Scientific negotiator

Drives: 2019 Grand Sport
Speaking is shields (S&W in this case lol), this should be a good reminder for those that carry NOT Atl leave their weapons in the car...

OP, this is a great story, awesome ending, and I thank you for sharing it with us. GLAD YOU ARE OK!

Matthew 25:40

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
devnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:15 PM   #46
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
or we could demand that OEM's incorporate some sort of security into their "solutions" instead of doing annoying crap that nullifies the entire point of the solution in the first place.

instead, they continue to embrace the 1960's security through obscurity model of doing everything. Be it keyless entry, or their stupid proprietary multi-media systems and how they're laughably insecurely connected to the networking system that controls the car.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:20 PM   #47
dray

Drives: 2017 2SS A8 NGM, 2012 Yamaha FZ8
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
That just made my day!!! Not the part when they were trying to steal your car, but the part when you guys kicked their lily asses!!!

It should be legal to arm your car with 50,000 volts going through the chassis so anyone who touches it before you disarm it gets electrocuted and burned to a crisp.
What if an innocent person bumps it in a parking lot?
dray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:32 PM   #48
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by dray View Post
What if an innocent person bumps it in a parking lot?
I think he already answered that one....

"They get electrocuted and burned to a crisp"
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:37 PM   #49
Karma81

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Only in Texas! If we did something like that in Connecticut, I would have been arrested for assaulting the "Poor criminals"
God Bless Texas!!!!!
Karma81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:46 PM   #50
Franko07

Drives: 17 white 1LE
What part of texas?
Franko07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:52 PM   #51
Odd Jobb

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS1
Guy's this keeps getting better and worse,,, the police show up at my door and I'm sure I'm going to be charged with assault! I open the door and it's the same guy that wrote the report, wanting to ask me more questions. After all the questions, he said that the hair and nail place across from the Advanced Auto had new security cam's installed last month, and they got the whole thing on tape and the news has a copy too. He and his partner told me to get in there unit and check it out, they were giving me the play by play, laughing so hard it made me laugh!!
They said after searching the their car they found 4 different devices stashed,2 pistols and a big bag of weed. Then said they had been at this for a while!
No sooner do they leave, my wife calls me, telling me, my buddies wife called her and told what Matt and I had been up too,,,, Then at that point I was read the riot act You know how it go's,,,, what if he had a gun or a knife,,,, why didn't you call the police first,,, why at the age of 58 can't you grow the eff up?
Yes dear,,,yes dear,,,, okay dear,,,, won't happen again honey,,, yada yada
Then I call my buddy, and the shop sent him home. So I call there and I'm telling him about the tape, and he asked, did it show me tuning that a$$ hole up with my bat?? And you elbowing that guy's face to mush????
Well that adrenalin rush was over, and my knees are hurting my elbow is throbbing and I have big knot on my head, that I feel now,,,lol
I told him I didn't remember elbowing the guy, but it sure was clear on that recording. And my buddy Matt should sign up for the Major's, the way he worked that bat,,,lmao!! I am so drinking tonite
Odd Jobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:55 PM   #52
I`m Batman

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS M6
I want to see the video! lol
I`m Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:56 PM   #53
Odd Jobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko07 View Post
What part of texas?
Home of the Spurs,,,San Antonio
Old 04-07-2017, 03:01 PM   #54
Odd Jobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
Speaking is shields (S&W in this case lol), this should be a good reminder for those that carry NOT Atl leave their weapons in the car...

OP, this is a great story, awesome ending, and I thank you for sharing it with us. GLAD YOU ARE OK!
Thanks Brother!! The worst part of this, is my wife will be burning my ears about it all weekend,,,,, Fishin Anybody
Old 04-07-2017, 03:01 PM   #55
vet757

Drives: ^^^This
Automakers need to step up their key fob encryption game!
vet757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 03:02 PM   #56
MH247

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I hope you got a copy of the security cam footage. We want to see it
MH247 is offline   Reply With Quote