Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 03-01-2017, 10:59 AM   #1
elderon1973

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro SS
"SUV" tires on Camaro?

I did some digging online and couldn't find much info about the difference between "SUV" specific tires on and non other than tire rating for its weight load. I would assume that perhaps these tires are slightly heavier. I'm on a really tight budget right now and considering picking these up as they have the correct sizes for front and rear. The tires themselves got pretty good reviews and I did find a review of someone using them on passenger car (Jaguar) $400 out the door for 4 new tires is pretty hard to beat. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-X-Delinte-...xYj508&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-X-Delinte-...xYUKtr&vxp=mtr

Thanks for the input.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:28 PM   #2
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
There's plenty of people on here with Verdestein tires or whatever they're called. They're (usually?) SUV tires.
Are they going to handle as well as a new pair of Super Sports? Nope. You get what you pay for, IMO. Considering it's the only thing keeping me glued to the road, I pay good money for tires.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 01:39 PM   #3
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
All depends on your driving habits. If its your grocery getter, weekday go to work car.....then those will work fine. Like oil (let the games begin), most brand names will fit the bill. The key is maintaining your stuff. But buyer beware on the off brand stuff. Just be careful.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:51 PM   #4
b4wheeler

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS Vert
I just came across this exact situation.

I am trying to fit a set of factory 21" wheels on my car and the tires are so expensive I needed to source the tires somewhere else.
I have ended with used tires, I know not the greatest idea, but these are only for events and I will run my regular wheels for daily driving.
The size I needed was a 295/35R21 and the only tires I found that I could afford are Toyos. I was unaware that they were SUV tires until I got them home.

Tire should be fine, just a little stiffer sidewall. we will see how they perform in a few weeks...
Old 03-01-2017, 03:16 PM   #5
SnowyCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Chevy Equinox
I ran rav4 winter tires on my 1lt for the whole time I owned it with no issues. The diameter was correct so computer didn't care. No issues with handling unless you want to go racing lol
Old 03-01-2017, 03:53 PM   #6
rickyrocket

Drives: 2015 blk 1 SS
I can't go with the tire fanfare,I've driven well over 2 million miles in 80k loaded trucks name brand are no better than others for daily driving, if you autox or drag race then you need specific tires
Old 03-03-2017, 09:51 PM   #7
firedruish

I ran these exact tires all last summer. 20k miles out of that set on new rims. very spirited country driving and they where a blast. definitely not great below 20 degrees or in snow. getting ready to re order for this summer.

People have a totally valid point if you are tracking or autocross spend the money and be safe...for my dd these have been great.
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2017, 01:05 AM   #8
SharpOldNo7

Drives: 2015 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedruish View Post
I ran these exact tires all last summer. 20k miles out of that set on new rims. ......
If they are only good for 20K miles and only have a 90 day warranty IMHO, I would pass on them.
SharpOldNo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:36 AM   #9
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
I bought a set of ZL1 replica wheels on Craigslist and they came with these tires on them. Ran them for a year and had no problems. They were extremely quiet and balanced out perfect. No cold vibration and excellent traction. I would buy again.

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:56 AM   #10
firedruish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpOldNo7 View Post
If they are only good for 20K miles and only have a 90 day warranty IMHO, I would pass on them.
Are you kidding me.... and I hear many on here getting 45 k out of a set. Never happened
in my 4 years of camaro ownership between my rs and the ss. Best I ever got out of tires was 26k on the rears, gmax as 06, would have gotten more out of the dilente's but winter hit. I don't burn out, track or do auto cross. Dd to work and errands, spirited country driving

The worst I ever saw, 4k out of brand new Pirelli tires, then 7k out of sumitomo tires. The roads out here are so broken, and we go from gravel to asphalt all the time. I have a local zl1 owner that only drives the summer months and goes through 2 sets a summer.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:00 PM   #11
elderon1973

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro SS
Thanks for the input everyone. I'm still on the fence and finding other deals at similiar prices now too. My stock Pirelli's are coming up on 20k miles personally. The backs are almost bald and the fronts have maybe 2000-3000 miles left on them. Unless you drive like a grandma I can't imagine getting over 25k miles on a set of tires - no matter the brand - on a Camaro, if you ever intend to have any fun in it.