Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-17-2017, 08:46 AM   #15
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vet757 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
I'm not gonna lie....was about to say the same thing...
OP already stated he is looking to buy leftover '16 or '17.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:46 AM   #16
SS2017

Drives: 2SS & GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
I'm not gonna lie....was about to say the same thing...
Me too!
SS2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:09 AM   #17
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
Get the one that makes you feel how you feel when you see food coming to your table at a restaurant......MMMMM
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:00 AM   #18
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
OP already stated he is looking to buy leftover '16 or '17.
Well, that's less bad.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:58 AM   #19
evanescent03

Drives: '19 SS 1LE/'19 Rubicon/'20 AT4
I got a 1LE which has a host of upgrades over the 1 or 2SS. power is great but do you really not care about the whole package? I'm 6'3", 230lbs and the Camaro definitely feels a little tighter inside, but not uncomfortably so. The Mustang offers a roomier feel. that may help you be more comfortable in your commutes. the Mustang felt soft and really out dated to me which I why I chose the camaro, especially the 1LE since I'm a road course track guy.

remember, both cars will be very quick, but neither will be the fastest car on the road anyway, so may as well look at other things as well.
evanescent03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 02:07 PM   #20
1fujifilm

Drives: 2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchvyd28 View Post
So for the first time in my life I am actually torn between car brands. I have been GM all the way forever, owned 8 F bodies and many other GM products over the years. This summer I am looking to pick up a new car as a daily, and I am getting rid of my toy/weekend car and daily driver and combining them in one car. That being said I am going back and forth between the Mustang and the Camaro. I know seems weird, mortal enemies blah blah. But I actually like the S550, and my current daily is a f150 and I love the coyote platform.

My plan is to buy the car, drive it stock for a year then supercharge it. The dilemma I am having is one mostly of cost. Not only cost of the car, but dollar per hp. I am seeing the camaro maxing out at about 550whp before expensive fuel upgrades need to be done. Another $1,200-$1,500 in fuel upgrades and you can hit around 600whp. 650whp I am hearing is the limit of the stock internals.

I am seeing mid to high 600’s from the mustang with nothing more than bigger injectors which all of the superchargers come with, and a boost-a-pump. They do need the oil pump gear and crank gear replaced to handle the power safely, and that cost is about $1,200 roughly the cost of the fuel upgrades on the camaro.

Whipple got my hopes up for the camaro with their 600whp and 630wtq numbers, but they reduced this to 585whp after testing and if it is anything like the edelbrock kit they claim 580 but real world is 550 or a little less same as the magnuson.

So realistically the mustang is about $4-5k less to buy the car itself. Cost roughly the same to supercharge and upgrade to handle the power. And the mustang makes more whp.

The car is going to be an auto, 2ss or gt premium, and will be a 2016 if I can still find one early this summer or a 2017 if I can’t. So no 10 speed auto for me in the mustang. The drivetrain on both cars have been proven to handle lots of power with just driveshaft and axle upgrades.

My wife currently has a 2016 camaro 2ss 6spd, so I am very familiar with that. But I still need to get more familiar with the mustang, being I bought 2 new cars from my ford dealer in 2 years they may let me do an extended test drive or something.

So that all being stated, I have a few questions left.
-Is the A8 in the camaro going to be that much better than the 6 speed in the mustang? Or is the 6 speed better for a supercharger?
-Will the increased torque from the camaro and added weight of the mustang help to outweigh the hp difference?
-Which do you feel would make the better daily driver? ( I am a pretty big guy, almost 300lbs and 6’2”)

I know this is a camaro page, so I expect some biased answers, hell as I said I am biased towards gm myself. But I am going to be posting this on a mustang page as well to see what they say. And saying do what your heart tells you to do won’t really help me any.

Sorry so long winded, thank you for reading.

Does money or depreciation mean anything to you? It does to me; buy a leftover new 16 Camaro SS and get 27% off MSRP compared to only 17% off for a Mustang gt.
That is what I did, wanted another Mustang GT vert but bought the Camaro when seeing rebate/discounts; easy for me. I buy new every three years and can do it reasonably due to depreciation.

Bear
1fujifilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:15 AM   #21
2016SS

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2SS
I would buy the better car the Camaro! But that's me!
2016 Camaro 2SS Summit built 3/28/16 delivered
2018 Camaro ZL1 cancelled by GM 😡
2019 Corvette 2lt Z51
2016SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:09 AM   #22
Yellow6thGen
18 ZL1 A10 Convertible

Drives: White ZL1 Convertible
Camaro all the way. My brother bought the mustang and I have always had Camaro's.

2018 ZL1 Convertible A10 @ Kooks R&D.
Yellow6thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:02 AM   #23
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
So for the first time in my life I am actually torn between car brands. I have been GM all the way forever, owned 8 F bodies and many other GM products over the years. This summer I am looking to pick up a new car as a daily, and I am getting rid of my toy/weekend car and daily driver and combining them in one car. That being said I am going back and forth between the Mustang and the Camaro. I know seems weird, mortal enemies blah blah. But I actually like the S550, and my current daily is a f150 and I love the coyote platform.

My plan is to buy the car, drive it stock for a year then supercharge it. The dilemma I am having is one mostly of cost. Not only cost of the car, but dollar per hp. I am seeing the camaro maxing out at about 550whp before expensive fuel upgrades need to be done. Another $1,200-$1,500 in fuel upgrades and you can hit around 600whp. 650whp I am hearing is the limit of the stock internals.

I am seeing mid to high 600’s from the mustang with nothing more than bigger injectors which all of the superchargers come with, and a boost-a-pump. They do need the oil pump gear and crank gear replaced to handle the power safely, and that cost is about $1,200 roughly the cost of the fuel upgrades on the camaro.

Whipple got my hopes up for the camaro with their 600whp and 630wtq numbers, but they reduced this to 585whp after testing and if it is anything like the edelbrock kit they claim 580 but real world is 550 or a little less same as the magnuson.

So realistically the mustang is about $4-5k less to buy the car itself. Cost roughly the same to supercharge and upgrade to handle the power. And the mustang makes more whp.

The car is going to be an auto, 2ss or gt premium, and will be a 2016 if I can still find one early this summer or a 2017 if I can’t. So no 10 speed auto for me in the mustang. The drivetrain on both cars have been proven to handle lots of power with just driveshaft and axle upgrades.

My wife currently has a 2016 camaro 2ss 6spd, so I am very familiar with that. But I still need to get more familiar with the mustang, being I bought 2 new cars from my ford dealer in 2 years they may let me do an extended test drive or something.

So that all being stated, I have a few questions left.
-Is the A8 in the camaro going to be that much better than the 6 speed in the mustang? Or is the 6 speed better for a supercharger?
-Will the increased torque from the camaro and added weight of the mustang help to outweigh the hp difference?
-Which do you feel would make the better daily driver? ( I am a pretty big guy, almost 300lbs and 6’2”)

I know this is a camaro page, so I expect some biased answers, hell as I said I am biased towards gm myself. But I am going to be posting this on a mustang page as well to see what they say. And saying do what your heart tells you to do won’t really help me any.

Sorry so long winded, thank you for reading.
I think with the '18 Mustang updates they both will be on a very even performance range and price. You can see out ot the Mustang better and it has a slightly bigger back seat and they spupposedly fixed the manual shifting. The Camaro has a stiffer chassis, is lighter, and you can get a sun roof. Looks are a toss up with the Mustang getting more attention from admirerers of both sexes.

It will not be too long before both '18s start building so I would wait. If I were buying now I most likely would shop both cars and buy the one with the best deal I could get. In '16-17 though the Camaro is the clear winner for me. Although I really like Mustangs too.

I drag race often so I see both cars modded in the 1/4. If you buy used and are planning to mod then either car is a good choice. If you just do boltons the Camaro has the edge. So far we have one A8 SS here with E-85, ported TB, ported Manifold, Tune, DRs, and good driving scratching the 10s all for a few thousand bucks.

But if you go FI on either auto car a mild supercharger build will get you mid 10s. Turbos on the Coyote Mustangs don't have much trouble getting into the 9s and I suspect we will see that on the SS too. Not very many people going big on Camaros yet. Coyote Mustangs are much more plentiful. If you go FI on either car and do it right bring your bank account. I suspect the Camaro is a little more expensive to build. Having built a twin turbo 1LE and owned a ZL1 my advice is save up for a ZL1 or the new/used GT500. These cars will be/are better cars than anything you can build for sure. Been there done that.

Last edited by Fraxum; 01-28-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 12:20 PM   #24
Rich S

Drives: corvette
I own a '15 GT pp and just bought a 17 1LE. Both are fun. The GT just feels like a family car with more HP while the 1LE feels more like my 16 Z51! I would take the Camaro personally and trust me I love the GT.

Last edited by Rich S; 01-29-2017 at 01:34 PM.
Rich S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:48 AM   #25
x55cam

Drives: Super Sport
Quote:

My wife currently has a 2016 camaro 2ss 6spd,

Wow, how cool is that? If she goes to the grocery with it, I bet she sits the eggs on the floor, lol

I think most here are spot on - its more than just mere HP. Just drive each and see which one puts a bigger grin on your face.
x55cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 01:49 PM   #26
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
One additional thing to consider, since this will be a dual purpose car, is that the Camaro has Magnetic Ride Control, and Dual Mode Exhaust available. Those are coming to the 2018 Mustang, but you said you will probably get a leftover '16 or '17. Those features help the car extend it's purpose with the various driver modes you can select and customize.

On the other hand, since your wife already has a Camaro, it would be a good contrast to get a Mustang. I mean, how many Camaros does a family need?
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 04:47 PM   #27
Ponyeatr16ss
retired badass

Drives: 2016 2SS M6
Send a message via AIM to Ponyeatr16ss Send a message via Yahoo to Ponyeatr16ss
You wouldn't catch me dead in a mustang. Guess there's no such thing as loyalty in the car world as well as the population. 😂
Ponyeatr16ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:39 AM   #28
gameovergt
G@M30v3RgT

Drives: 2016 Mustang GT 5.0 DIB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyeatr16ss View Post
You wouldn't catch me dead in a mustang. Guess there's no such thing as loyalty in the car world as well as the population. ��
you think a car manufacturer is loyal to you or them making a dollar?

Last edited by gameovergt; 02-03-2017 at 08:10 AM.
gameovergt is offline   Reply With Quote