Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-06-2016, 02:11 PM   #1
Gordy87

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
The "Dreaded New Guy" thread

Hey guys I'm new here. I have a 2010 SS/49k miles with standard bolt-ons that I installed over last couple years. Halltech CAI, Magna-flow axle back and Granatelli plug wires, and an awesome Jannetty Racing custom tune. I never went to crazy due to warranty reasons, but feel its time to make some changes. Got tired of patiently waiting for my warranty to expire. I have my LT headers and full exhaust sitting in the garage ready to go on now. I have been reading up for past couple of months on little things. My question is: How do people ( who have had them a while) with the 1.8 roller rockers like it with the stock cam. Not quite commited to going into the engine just yet. I know I will net more benefits from cam upgrade though, but I like the factory duration, just looking for more lift. And any suggestions on some other minor performance upgrades I may be able to do? Any positive help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks in advance.
Gordy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 02:14 PM   #2
failshift
Banned

The "Dreaded New Guy" thread

If your touching the valvetrain. Replace the valvetrain dont change 1 piece. Do it once. Do it right.
failshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 02:15 PM   #3
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
LaserLAmota hope I got that right...has yella terra 1.85's with upgraded springs and retainers and ran a 12.xx recently..search the threads not much additional info other than stay away from the cheap stuff...lost of horror stories....peace out

btw - any future cam upgrades would need to take this into consideration...
Old 10-06-2016, 05:11 PM   #4
Gordy87

Of course there will be upgraded springs in place as well. Thinking of custom ground cam, to keep low duration, if I do ever decide to go that route. But for now just wanting to keep the stock cam because of it being my DD. Not really looking for all the high rpm HP/TQ. Just wanting some lower end #'s without changing gears.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:21 PM   #5
failshift
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy87 View Post
Of course there will be upgraded springs in place as well. Thinking of custom ground cam, to keep low duration, if I do ever decide to go that route. But for now just wanting to keep the stock cam because of it being my DD. Not really looking for all the high rpm HP/TQ. Just wanting some lower end #'s without changing gears.

Btr2 is a good mid range "off the shelf"

Hell I have the btr3pd. With a blower and it does t feel any different than stock
failshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 06:04 PM   #6
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
I thought before about going 1.8 but no one does it as its net gain does not change the other specs of a cam the duration and LSA stay the same and then you have to upgrade springs with it for the higher lift and the stock cam is what it is wide LSA and low duration not the best of combinations with higher lift only netting you a fraction of good performance cam, I'm talking maybe 10 hp area to 20 wishful thinking. And yes not only springs but better valve covers and checking the PTV clearance may not be necessary but different length pushrods most likely as the used one with new not so good.... SO you see its just about as much money ahead to go to the better cam and new roller lifters and if I were to go rockers I would bushing trunnions on the stock 1.7 ratio not 1.8 ratio unless I go LS7 small bore Mast heads. As you see the shape of the lobes also matter a lot on a cam, our cams are really rounded and have wide lobes compared to old school hydraulic flat tappet with design for ramping being a large part of cam development, and the stock cam meant for its use and inefficient on purpose for other concerns like longevity and EPA.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:19 PM   #7
Gordy87

Good info guys. Thanks for all the quick responses and truthfulness. I've been trolling the sight for years and never joined, but always liked the blunt truthfulness from the people here. I will dig into some more research and see if I can come up with a cam that will suit my needs.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:32 PM   #8
tomlink

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Send a message via Skype™ to tomlink
Don't forget to post things like this in the technical forums: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php
tomlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:57 PM   #9
Gordy87

So now that you guys have helped me out with the 1.8 rocker debate, I have decided to steer away from that. My new questions would be what is everyones preference between a set of 3.91 gears and a cam upgrade. Looking for more low end power really and know that the gears would better suit me for this but just curious as to what others have installed gears on m6 with just LT's, CAI, and upgraded spark components? What are your rev's at highway speeds after the gears?
Old 10-14-2016, 06:40 PM   #10
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
If you search gordy there used to be a guy on here who posted tables of the difference in the gear ratios and the rpms per speed hidden away in multiple threads over the years. The dude who posted them had a signature with like a drawing of shaggy from Scooby doo done in pencil sort of character drawing for his sig pic. Its a few hundred rpms and varies with the trans gears. I know lots of others that have done it and said its the best bang for the buck as far as feel. And you don't have the expensive going into of the engine and upgrading that costs a lot more.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:09 PM   #11
Gordy87

Thanks for the response. I had found myself searching with no luck. Still trying to figure out how to navigate the site. Dont get on here enough to be a pro yet due to working 13hrs a day. But I did finally find the thread tour refering to. Very nice read with plenty of details. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:48 AM   #12
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
You'll find some good information and a different perspective here.

http://www.jpssonline.com/#/drivers-packages/
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote